Hop Bine Tattoo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm wanting to get a hop bine tattoo, solid stencil sort of style, perhaps bordering on a tribal design by incorporating the names of my wife and soon to be born daughter, the idea is that it will grow as future children are born or whatever I want to add as time goes on. Just looking on the internet and havent seen many good hop bine tattoos and certainly not in the style that I am thinking, does anyone have any pictures of anything like this? Even a good hop bine tattoo would be a start.

Cheers
:mug:

My husband's tattoo is a hop bine wrapped around a set of planetary gears:

Tatt in progress:

For some reason, I had trouble getting the finished tattoo pic uploaded. I'll try again later.

What will that tattoo look like when you are 90?

If you gain weight will the hops look like large pine cones?

Personally I can't figure out the attraction to tattoos. I have pictures on the wall but if I get bored with them I can easily take one down and put up another!

kh54s10 said:

Personally I can't figure out the attraction to tattoos. I have pictures on the wall but if I get bored with them I can easily take one down and put up another!

Why even bother posting? Don't like tattoos then don't get one. personally I can't figure why someone would post in a thread with nothing useful to add.

To the OP, I'm considering a similar design.

Why even bother posting? Don't like tattoos then don't get one. personally I can't figure why someone would post in a thread with nothing useful to add.

To the OP, I'm considering a similar design.

Maybe to dissuade someone from marring their body for life. Or not even that much. but to make people think more about what they are going to do.

And I will NOT be getting any tattoos!
And I do think my reply was useful, if not so tactful.

Respectfully and tactfully, what I want to do with my body is my own business. I already have a few tattoos and have never regretted getting any of them, as they have a lot of meaning to me. If you will NOT be getting any tattoos then that is your business and I respect that, but please refrain from hijacking my thread by making it become a debate about whether or not people should get tattoos. I would have asked if I wanted advice on whether I should get (another) one or not rather than asking for examples that relate to the type I am looking to get. I expect that you wouldn't appreciate anyone forcing their opinions on the evils of beer and alcohol upon you.

Cheers,

The difference between tattooed people and non-tattooed people is that tattooed people don't judge those who aren't tattooed.

Looking good. To Op. Best of luck with your design and artist.

Respectfully and tactfully, what I want to do with my body is my own business. I already have a few tattoos and have never regretted getting any of them, as they have a lot of meaning to me. If you will NOT be getting any tattoos then that is your business and I respect that, but please refrain from hijacking my thread by making it become a debate about whether or not people should get tattoos. I would have asked if I wanted advice on whether I should get (another) one or not rather than asking for examples that relate to the type I am looking to get. I expect that you wouldn't appreciate anyone forcing their opinions on the evils of beer and alcohol upon you.

Cheers,

I don't think I was "forcing" my opinion.

But, I apologize and now exit.

What will your skin look like when you're 90? Yours will be boring and wrinkly. Mine will be colorful and wrinkly. That's such a stupid question that never needs to be asked.

TheDifferenceBetweenTattooedPeopleAndNonTattooedPeople-12257.jpg

Maybe to dissuade someone from marring their body for life. Or not even that much. but to make people think more about what they are going to do.

And I will NOT be getting any tattoos!
And I do think my reply was useful, if not so tactful.

Maybe we should try to dissuade you from being a tactless person who can't keep their opinion out of other people's business. Somehow I don't think you'd like that too much.

I'm sorry if I got too aggressive. I just don't like people who tell me what I should/shouldn't do.

I like the tattoo idea, but I don't have any pictures to add. Sorry I couldn't help.

Can we get back to the tattoo idea? I don't have any, but love to see people who are willing to make a lifelong commitment to a well thought out idea. Think a hop vine is brilliant. It's unusual, and provokes people to ask questions and talk about it. Do you have an idea of what you're looking for generally?

Btw - love the vine with the planetary gears. But why did you mix those elements together? (see...provoked a question).

I have a brewing related tattoo, but no one would know it unless I explained it to them. I have a wizard casting a spell, and within the spell are 4 symbols representing yeast, hops, water, and barley. I had always wanted to add a spell the the wizard (had it since high school) and finally figured brewing was the best 'spell' for him to cast!

Okay, here is the finished tattoo, as promised:

image-680104921.jpg

It's been done for a little over a year and he remains quite pleased with it. I love it on him.

barnhs said:
Can we get back to the tattoo idea? I don't have any, but love to see people who are willing to make a lifelong commitment to a well thought out idea. Think a hop vine is brilliant. It's unusual, and provokes people to ask questions and talk about it. Do you have an idea of what you're looking for generally?

Btw - love the vine with the planetary gears. But why did you mix those elements together? (see...provoked a question).

Beer makes the universe revolve? Or it gives you the spins if you have too much?

View attachment 73231

It's been done for a little over a year and he remains quite pleased with it. I love it on him.

That's great!

Regarding the tattoo debate, they are not for me because I don't wan't anything that permanent. My interests change abruptly. Plus, if you've ever seen one of those "bad tattoo" threads, it'll scare the bejesus out of you.

Howard is an engineer and wanted a tattoo that represented man's progression from an agrarian society to a mechanical one. He's a deep thinker, that man o' mine!

Bedlam said:
Howard is an engineer and wanted a tattoo that represented man's progression from an agrarian society to a mechanical one. He's a deep thinker, that man o' mine!

Wow. Love that thinking. And it looks great now that it's done. The biggest gear didn't pop out until the color was added.

barnhs said:
Wow. Love that thinking. And it looks great now that it's done. The biggest gear didn't pop out until the color was added.

...Especially when you think about the relationship brewing and distilling had in that process. After all, the farmers in the new world weren't out to get people drunk. It was just easier to ship grain overseas in liquid form. Hense, the tie to farmer "manufacturing" their crop into a more convenient (and profitable) product.

Great statement in ink.

View attachment 73231

LOVE it!!!

I've also been considering another featuring a hop bine...my other work is all tribal (celtic and south pacific), so it'd be all black with a tribal feel....

would love to see more pics of brewing-related tats for ideas!

A lot of good posts and glad to see the thread got back on topic. Love the planetary gears tattoo even more with the explanation :rockin: Ill have to try have a play on photoshop and see if I can't get something that resembles a first draft mocked up this afternoon.

Not exactly tribal but i understand the difficulty in finding any sort of hop tattoos online! Got this one recently

hop tattoo.jpg

hops 1.jpg

Ok so just a quick play around on photoshop to demonstrate the sort of thing I am thinking of. It will wrap around my arm making it less legible than it looks here. Image should be attached.

hop bine tattoo.jpg

Latest posts

Back