Hop Basket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewfarmDan

Reaction score
Last brew I went to a 1/2" ID hose to drain from the Kettle to Fermenter faster. Worked great till the bazooka tube screen plugged up. Found these 3" diameter Stainless Steel "NORPRO Tea Infusers" for $5.50 each at the True Value kitchen section. I will be adding hops in these and it should solve the problem. Will also use for dry hop in the fermenter. They have a short chain. Picture is not too good

CIMG0072.jpg

Last brew I went to a 1/2" ID hose to drain from the Kettle to Fermenter faster. Worked great till the bazooka tube screen plugged up. Found these 3" diameter Stainless Steel "NORPRO Tea Infusers" for $5.50 each at the True Value kitchen section. I will be adding hops in these and it should solve the problem. Will also use for dry hop in the fermenter. They have a short chain. Picture is not too good

I wonder if all parts of this are really stainless (and what grade). I've seen several in the past where the ball/mesh was stainless, but the chain and hinge/pins were not.

definitely interested to see how these work for you. How many OZ of hops (pellet I assume) will fit in a 3" ball? (I'm so tired of using hop-bags)

Haven't used them, but those who have say that the 3 inch balls are only good for about a half ounce of pellet hops. Any more and the center stays dry while those on the outside expand

The package says Stainless but it also says China so who knows for sure. I thought the 3" would hold a lot of Hops but didn't consider the swelling keeping the center dry. I guess I need to use them for small additions first to see how it goes

yeah I wouldnt put more than an ounce in each of those. I usually use large muslin grain bags for anythign remotely hoppy since I need to be able to add up to 4oz at a time and have the necessary space for them to float around

Well I used them on a late addition about 1.1 Oz each in 2 of them (almost filled 1/2) 5 minutes before the end of the boil. it swelled to fill the whole 3" ball but all the hops were wet and looked like a 3" ball. 1 Oz is about max. Need to find something else.

Latest posts

Back