Hop Back process why not just LHA???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abp689

Reaction score
I want to brew a Loose Cannon H3 brew and believe they have a hop back on their brew. After research however, I did not see the science of the process.

My questions:

I will transfer my wort from my tun, to a hop back system, to another kettle to chill the brew. I have an immersion chiller (gravity system - all grain).

• At what temperature should I begin the transfer to the Hop Back system?
  • Should I begin cooling in the tun as I transfer to the other kettle?
  • How is this different then just a late hop addition at flame out or dry hopping?
  • Is there anything else to acknowledge?

BTW: Planned beer is IPA, ~ 1.078 OG, 5.5 gal post boil.

Thanks for any assistance:ban:

Buddy, nice to see you on expanding your knowledge. I am glad you posted this to clarify. I will keep an eye on the post.:mug:

The few times I've seen a hopback in use, it was post-cooling. That gives you a different extraction profile and reduces the loss of the volatile components.

Often times, a hop back is used between the kettle and the chiller. Hot wort is infused into a hop charge extracting aroma and flavanoids much like a LHA. However, here the process in more linear in that as soon as the compounds are extracted they get "locked in" by a rapid cooling.

From what I have read, the science is not very well understood as to shy this works as well as blind tastings indicate. The suspicion is that since there is less time held at the higher temps, then there is less evaporative losses.

I use a hopback for my Loose Cannon clone. I have a plate chiller and I put the hopback between the boil kettle and the chiller. Hot wort flows into the hopback, and then into the chiller, and then to my carboy. The idea being to preserve the aromas that would be lost from an open container. The system is totaly enclosed until it gets to the carboy. The wort going into the carboy is typically ~ 70*F so aroma loss is minimized

I use a hopback for my Loose Cannon clone. I have a plate chiller and I put the hopback between the boil kettle and the chiller. Hot wort flows into the hopback, and then into the chiller, and then to my carboy. The idea being to preserve the aromas that would be lost from an open container. The system is totaly enclosed until it gets to the carboy. The wort going into the carboy is typically ~ 70*F so aroma loss is minimized

I too use a plate chiller. My main motivation for adding a HB is with break management and hop debris. I tire of using the hop bag in that in Summer month I need to recirculate the cooling phase to drive the temps down faster. This causes the hop bag to fill up with trub and balloon.

Now, I intend to utilize the HB as a chiller pre-filter. On beers that do not have need for a hop aroma and flavor I will charge the HB with rice hulls in hope that those will fileter the wort enough prior to reaching the chiller.

I too use a plate chiller. My main motivation for adding a HB is with break management and hop debris.

I used my HB once primarily as a filter aid. Seemed to work fine. I like to recirculate too, but sometimes after 15 min, my filter would start to plug up. Now I've switched to immediately after the boil, gravity feeding my hot wort into a modified corny (now basically a 5 gal hopback) which I then hook up to my plate chiller for recirculating. All of the hops and hot break are left in the kettle. Now it is not a problem. I've never had a problem with cold break plugging my plate chiller.

Buddy, nice to see you on expanding your knowledge. I am glad you posted this to clarify. I will keep an eye on the post.:mug:

Hey Wrestler; figured I would probably catch you on here:ban:

Thanks for the reply guys; sounds like I will try a HW transfer to the HB to the chiller - going to wing it:rockin:

Back