Honker's Ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
Anyone have a Goose Island Honker's Ale clone recipe? I can't find one for the life of me, and this is one of my favorite beers. I want to see how close to the real thing I can make one. This is the closest thing I can find, but really don't want to order a kit.

http://www.undergrounddigital.com/perfectsignature.htm

I was wanting to go the my LHBS and brew this weekend possibly. The Goose Island website stats are: 4.3% ABV, 35 IBU, 14.5 SRM.

Probably would not go with that kit either - describes the beer as American Style Pale... but the Honkers Ale is obviously an English Style Pale/Bitter...

You can probably craft a reasonably decent clone going by what they give you on the site and some brewing software... If I get bored today I'll try to throw something together (with the caveat that it will be an untested 'clone'), I like this beer as well...

Who am I kidding? I love to toy around in Beersmith. I wish I could brew all the recipes I draft up in there, but I just can't drink it fast enough. Anyway, here is my attempt at a 'clone'. Please note its untried and untested, so don't bash me if its way off target. This is close to the IBU, SRM, ABV given by GI and I tried to use ingredients that would give the taste descriptors they used (malty, spicy, etc)... So, definitely do let me know if you brew this though:

Recipe: RBBC Quackers Ale
Style: Special/Best/Premium Bitter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (40.0) Attempt at clone of GI Honkers Ale...

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.20 gal
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG (4.3% ABV Commercial - This OG is close)
Estimated Color: 11.9 SRM (14 SRM Commercial)
Estimated IBU: 34.5 IBU (35 IBU Commercial)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Marris Otter (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 68.57 %
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 20L ('Dark') (20.0 SRM) Grain 22.86 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 8.57 %
0.33 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 9.6 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (25 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 4.8 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
0.25 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.0 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 8.75 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 10.94 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F

Notes:
------
My stab at Honkers Ale clone. Close on all the standard measures given by
GooseIsland.com (see above). Also, within the style guidelines for a Special
Bitter. Caramel flavors from the 60L, good malt backbone from the Munich 20L
and MO. (Very) evident hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma for a 4.3% ABV beer.
Use primary EKG hops (although I'm not sure what GI uses) as they are typical
in English Bitter and GI describes the beer as slightly 'spicy', also a descriptor
for EKG hops. I haven't brewed this yet, but if you do LET ME KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT! Even if its not a dead-on clone, it should be a nice English 'Pale Ale'!

To convert to extract, try to find some John Bull Marris Otter LME and Munich or
Amber LME to replace the Munich, steep the Crystal 60L. For mini-mash, just replace the bulk of the MO malt with extract and mash some MO, all the munich, and the Crystal.

That looks like something to try! I probably will go ahead and brew this recipe tomorrow if I can get to the store. I would be doing the extract recipe- how many lbs of extract would this be? I have EKG hops but no Northern Brewer, any suggestions on a replacement? I noticed that clone kit I posted the link to used cascade hops, would they be out of place?

Big10Seaner said:
That looks like something to try! I probably will go ahead and brew this recipe tomorrow if I can get to the store. I would be doing the extract recipe- how many lbs of extract would this be? I have EKG hops but no Northern Brewer, any suggestions on a replacement? I noticed that clone kit I posted the link to used cascade hops, would they be out of place?

Cascade would be out of place IMO. Their take on it was "American Pale" which citrus is accurate, but per GI themselves, this is a beer, "from the pubs in England" (just a way overcarbed version haha). However, for bittering hops, almost anything MIGHT work. I used NB b/c it was a little higher AA% and saved some EKG. I wanted to keep it an even 2oz. EKG for purposes of ease. I know some ppl buy hops in 1oz. packets or whatnot. You could bitter with more EKG or another hop. What do you have and maybe we can pick the best substitute.

I'll run the conversion to extract in Beersmith. As I noted, Marris Otter LME would be best if you can get it, but good old pale might work as well. I have no clue if GI uses regular 2-row or MO...

EDIT: ~6lb of extract gets you right where you need to be OG-wise... that's a little less than 2 cans of the JB Marris Otter if I'm not mistaken. If you are getting regular old bulk LME, get 5lb pale, 1lb amber or something?

I have the following:

Cascade
Centennial
Fuggle
Simcoe
Amarillo
Liberty
Perle
EK Goldings
Santiam

For the color, I'll try to put that in a color calculator. 60L might give more caramel flavor than Honker's Ale really has, or am I wrong? The amber ale I have used that I think and it has a very noticable caramel taste.

Big10Seaner said:
I have the following:

Cascade
Centennial
Fuggle
Simcoe
Amarillo
Liberty
Perle
EK Goldings
Santiam

For the color, I'll try to put that in a color calculator. 60L might give more caramel flavor than Honker's Ale really has, or am I wrong? The amber ale I have used that I think and it has a very noticable caramel taste.

Well, I tried to put lower L Crystal (40L) in the recipe to get the color near the 14SRM GI claims and no luck. It took well over a pound, which you do not want... I don't know that the Crystal 60L will be all that bad. You want SOME flavors from malts coming through as the 35IBU is going to be dominant in a 4.3% brew... If you have 40L feel free to use that... the color will be a little light, but I doubt you'll even notice. Plus, for me, if the taste is there, I could care less about color honestly...

As for the bittering... you can definitely mix in some Fuggle to this recipe and stay perfectly within style. It would be a nice smooth bitterness too. That's probably your best bet to be honest. Of course you'll need more than the .33oz that I used for NB... Maybe 2/3 (.66) oz considering its probably half the AA% of the NB.

Definitely do... I love the Goose Island Honker's Ale, but can't get it around here. I would brew this for sure if its close.

The main thing I'd be worried about is that GI tries to make this beer sound more English than it actually is on their website. In which case, my purely English spin on this beer might end up a bit off. So... I'm counting on their sincerity! Haha...

In any case, if you like English pales/bitters/special bitters, you should enjoy whatever the result is... Are you using the S-04 yeast? I would think an 'English Ale' strain would be best as it attenuates a little bit less than some, leaving behind some malt sweetness that you'll need with a 35IBU, 1.045 beer...

Well, I can get Honker's Ale where I live so I can do a side by side comparison and see where it ends up! I will use an English Ale yeast, either S-04 or whatever Wyeast is applicable. It does have some malt sweetness to it.

Well, I brewed this yesterday as follows. I ended up using 4lb Pale Malt extract and DME instead of Maris Otter (didn't have any at my LHBS), so it will be somewhat unique. I also used the Irish Ale yeast because that's all they had that came close. Although I don't really expect it to be Honker's Ale, I'm sure it'll turn out great.

Recipe Calculation
04B. Bitter And English Pale Ale, Special or Best Bitter Extract
Color

Stats
OG 1.047
FG 1.012
IBU 35
ABV 4.5 %
SRM 9

Specifics
Boil Volume 3 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

Style Comparison
Low High
OG 1.039 1.047 1.045
FG 1.009 1.012 1.014
IBU 20 35 45
SRM 6 9 14
ABV 3.7 4.5 4.8
Fermentables
% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color
59.3 % 4.00 Light Malt Extract Syrup 27.2 1.6
14.8 % 1.00 Amber Dry Malt Extract 9.0 2.5
14.8 % 1.00 Light Dry Malt Extract 9.0 0.4
11.1 % 0.75 Crystal 60L 1.5 9.0
6.75 46.7
Hops
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
27.3 % 0.75 Fuggles Pellet 4.2 3.2 55 0.050 15.8
18.2 % 0.50 East Kent Goldings Whole/Plug 4.2 2.1 55 0.046 9.6
18.2 % 0.50 East Kent Goldings Whole/Plug 4.2 2.1 25 0.021 4.4
18.2 % 0.50 East Kent Goldings Whole/Plug 4.2 2.1 15 0.014 2.9
9.1 % 0.25 East Kent Goldings Whole/Plug 4.2 1.1 10 0.011 1.1
9.1 % 0.25 East Kent Goldings Whole/Plug 4.2 1.1 5 0.009 0.9
2.75 34.7

Yeast - WL Irish Ale yeast

Bobby_M said:
I loved the honker the one time I had it. I would be completely shocked to find Cascade in that beer. I tasted noble all the way. Maybe my palette just sucks.

I am going to have to try this beer again. It has been quite a while since I have had it, but I thought I remembered thinking it tasted like a Cascade bomb when I tried it. Certainly didn't taste like EKG to me.

I am at work, so I am unable to provide you the recipe, but I can tell you this recipe is in Beer Captured. Beer Captured is the sequel (and IMO improved) to clone brews. My guess is that you may have brewed this up already, but I think Beer Captured is a worthwhile purchase and you should compare your first attempt with the recipe. All the beers I've brewed from this book have been absolutely amazing.

I was thinking the same thing as cubbies. I would have went with Fuggles teh whole way through. I don't think that there was a lot of perceptable EKG in the Honkers

i found this today when I was researching this for a future brew

Honker's Ale Clone
by Bradrick J. Pretzer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This recipe was taken from Beer Captured by Mark and Tess Szamatulski

Brewed mid May 2004

Grain Bill
8.5 lb. British 2-row Malt
8 oz. Crystal 20°L Malt
8 oz. Belgian Cara-Munich Malt
8 oz. German Munich Malt
Hop Bill
1 oz. Northern Brewer - 60 minutes
½ oz. Cascade - 15 minutes
½ oz. Willamette - 15 minutes
1 oz. Cascade - 1 minute
Yeast
Wyeast 1968 London ESB
Results Summary
Batch Size - 5 gallons
O.G. 1.052
F.G. ?
Days in primary fermenter - 7
Days in secondary fermenter -
Detailed Procedure
Mash at 152°F for 90 minutes
Irish Moss - 15 minutes

this is what myers was refferring to what do you guys think?

i found this today when I was researching this for a future brew

Honker's Ale Clone
by Bradrick J. Pretzer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This recipe was taken from Beer Captured by Mark and Tess Szamatulski

Brewed mid May 2004

Grain Bill
8.5 lb. British 2-row Malt
8 oz. Crystal 20°L Malt
8 oz. Belgian Cara-Munich Malt
8 oz. German Munich Malt
Hop Bill
1 oz. Northern Brewer - 60 minutes
½ oz. Cascade - 15 minutes
½ oz. Willamette - 15 minutes
1 oz. Cascade - 1 minute
Yeast
Wyeast 1968 London ESB
Results Summary
Batch Size - 5 gallons
O.G. 1.052
F.G. ?
Days in primary fermenter - 7
Days in secondary fermenter -
Detailed Procedure
Mash at 152°F for 90 minutes
Irish Moss - 15 minutes

this is what myers was refferring to what do you guys think?

It's a possibility! I haven't had it for a couple years, so I can't comment on specific hop-flavors I recall... Maybe that's why I liked it so much; an ESB/APA cross basically.

I am at work, so I am unable to provide you the recipe, but I can tell you this recipe is in Beer Captured. Beer Captured is the sequel (and IMO improved) to clone brews. My guess is that you may have brewed this up already, but I think Beer Captured is a worthwhile purchase and you should compare your first attempt with the recipe. All the beers I've brewed from this book have been absolutely amazing.

+1 on beer captured. Very good recipes, have produced lots of great beer using this book.

I'd also like to know how this turned out. I'm on my way home from Chicago and I have a trunk load of honker's. If I could brew it I would be most pleased!

I highly doubt there is any cascade in honkers. That will not be a good clone. It is a traditional original bitter and does not have citrusy hops.

I'll have to look in Beer Captured tonight....

Here is the recipe I used for a 2.5 gallon all grain batch:

3.25lbs British Two Row
.5lbs American Crystal 60L
.35lbs American Victory

Fuggles (4.0%) and Willamette (4.6%)

.5oz fuggle at 45mins
.5oz Willamette at 25mins
.25oz Fuggles at 15mins
.25oz Wilamette at 10 mins
.25oz Fuggles and Willamette at 0mins

Mashed at 153, boiled for 60 mins. Fermented at 64*F with s-04 for three weeks and then bottled with priming sugar.

Got the Color right though. Mine is the uncarbed version on the left.
n2344016_51619338_444.jpg

There is a recipe that calls for all styrian goldings. I used a combo of fuggles/willamette because both are substitues for styrian but have a higher AA%. The next time I make this I am going to maybe do close to an ounce each of fuggles and willamette at the end just to get a bigger hop taste.

I keep going back and forth about the cascade at the end. At first I thought it needed a late cascade addition but when properly chilled and carbed my version is pretty close taste wise and dead on with the color. I would say my recipe is about 85% there. The malt and things are spot on I feel just need to get a little more hop flavor in there. Maybe Cascades are the quick and dirty way to get the bigger hop flavor without having to add so many ounces of fuggles/willamette/styrians???

So I've played with what the GI website has given me and this is what I've come up with. Let me know what you think.

Fermentables
US 2-Row Malt 6.00 lb
US Caramel 60L Malt 1.75 lb
UK Wheat Malt 0.50 lb
US Roasted Barley 0.10 lb

Hops
Styrian Goldings 4.5 % 1.00 oz Bagged Pellet Hops 60 Min
Styrian Goldings 4.5 % 0.75 oz Bagged Pellet Hops 30 Min
Styrian Goldings 4.5 % 0.50 oz Bagged Pellet Hops 10 Min
Styrian Goldings 4.5 % 1.00 oz Bagged Pellet Hops At turn off

Expected Color 14.6 SRM
Expected IBU 30
Expected ABV 4.2%
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity 1.037 SG
Expected FG 1.011 SG

That looks good WildPirate. I assume the wheat is for head retention and the roasted barley only for color really. Thats why I got away with my ingredients coming so close to taste and color. I think I shot for about 10 or 12 SRM because the 14 was just a touch too dark. But thats being picky I suppose.

Ok, I just made my version of this based on the guy who interviewed the brewer back in 98: http://forums.morebeer.com/viewtopic.php?t=15408&highlight=honkers

I bottled it a week ago and just tasted it and WOW, is it close! It still has a bit to carb but I'm very pleased. Here is what I used:

7 lbs 2 row
2 lbs crystal 60
.75 lbs wheat
.25 lbs special roast

Mash at 152

2 oz Styrian (3.5%) 60 min
4 oz Styrian (3.5%) 5 min

This is going to become my house ale!

Eric

I'm raising this thread from the dead to see if you have any opinions on how I would do this with extract. I'm looking to make this in a few days so hopefully I can get it figured out!

I just came about this thread and also wanted to get an extract version of the recipe. It looks like the styrian golding hops and yeast have been settled. How would the below ingredients translate for an extract recipe?:

7 lbs 2 row
2 lbs crystal 60
.75 lbs wheat
.25 lbs special roast

I wanna say that 2 lbs Crystal Mal t sounds like it will be too sweet. I would back off the crystal malt a little bit. Honkers Ale seems to finish more dry than 2 lbs 60L could produce. Most English Bitter clones I have seen that are spot on have a combination of higher 55L Crystal and lower 10L or 20 L crystal. Also try upping the wheat and lowering the Crystal by like .25 to .5 lbs. I also think that Wyeast 1968 is the yeast to use. Fruity, good attenuation, and clean. (Great for top cropping also)

I'm not sure that you will get ABV of 4.2 with that amount of malt. Everything sounds good but up the wheat and pale malts a bit. Use Styrian Goldings only. Consider Wyeast 1968 ESB.

(in response to the recipe with 6 lbs pale, .5 wheat, and .1 special roast)

You'll need to really spell this out for me because I new to the game. I'm not sure I'm following this. So are you saying I'll need more than 6 pounds of pale malt extract? how much more based on a 5 gal batch? What specifically is .5 wheat and .1 special roast? Does this hop schedule need to be adjusted based on the above?:

2 oz Styrian (3.5%) 60 min
4 oz Styrian (3.5%) 5 min

Back