Honey wheat mash at 148

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titleist

Reaction score
Evening all.... I'm thinking of trying the honey orange wheat recipe from beersmith and I just noticed the mash sequence is 148 for 45 mins.

In the past it seemed l like recipes I've downloaded from the cloud had several errors in them or were recipes people never even attempted.

So with that in mind, 4lbs white wheat, 3lb pilsner, 1lb flaked wheat and 10oz honey malt, does mashing at 148 for only 45 mins seem correct or is this likely wrong?

I'd like to try and get this done correctly and if there's a problem with the recipe from the cloud I'd like to get it rectified before trying it.

If the recipe seems correct, can someone explain why it only mashes for 45 mins at 148?

I'm thinking the lower temp makes a drier finish but only 45 mins?

I usually do 60 min mashes for everything, but i've heard you can go as low as 30min with almost no difference.

For wheats though, what I;ve started doing is a ferulic acid rest at 110-115 for 15min first, then bump up to regular mash for 45min. I found out this creates certain compounds that wheat yeasts convert into those clove and banana esters

damnit, thats the second time today I timewarped before an existing post....

Back