Honey Rye Ale - Feedback Welcome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murph2002

Reaction score
Looking to brew my first beer with rye. Never used it before, but have tasted some good rye beers, both homebrew and commercial, so I'm familiar with the taste and I know I like it.

Hoping for a little bit of sweetness mixed with the spiciness of the rye. Not looking for a real strong hop flavor or aroma, I want the rye to be the feature.

Recipe (5G):

6lb Two Row
4lb Rye Malt
1lb Honey Malt
1lb Rice Hulls

Mash in at 156 for 60 minutes

Boil 60 minutes
0.5oz Magnum @ 60

2L Starter of Wyeast 1010 American Wheat
Ferment at 60 degrees ambient for 14 days

Thoughts?

Looking to brew my first beer with rye. Never used it before, but have tasted some good rye beers, both homebrew and commercial, so I'm familiar with the taste and I know I like it.

Hoping for a little bit of sweetness mixed with the spiciness of the rye. Not looking for a real strong hop flavor or aroma, I want the rye to be the feature.

Recipe (5G):

6lb Two Row
4lb Rye Malt
1lb Honey Malt
1lb Rice Hulls

Mash in at 156 for 60 minutes

Boil 60 minutes
0.5oz Magnum @ 60

2L Starter of Wyeast 1010 American Wheat
Ferment at 60 degrees ambient for 14 days

Thoughts?

I'm brewing a Saison with rye malt right now. Your recipe looks really good but I'd drop the mash temp down to dry it out and bring out the rye malt, but that's my taste. I'd probably look at 151 for 60.

I'm with actionjackson, you most likely will want to mash at a lower temp to dry it out more. I also would suggest more than the .5 oz of magnum at 60 min. Mashing at such a high temp with so little hop, may result in a malt bomb of a beer.

I keep this beer in my pipeline as a house pale ale and love it. It is well balanced and not very hoppy at all.

8# 2 row malt
2# rye malt
8 oz. caramel 20L

.75 oz liberty@ 60
1 oz cascade @ flameout

US-05 @ 60*

I mash at 150* for about an hour give or take.

The end result is a well balanced Pale Ale that lets the rye really shine through.

I hope that this helps.

I'm with actionjackson, you most likely will want to mash at a lower temp to dry it out more. I also would suggest more than the .5 oz of magnum at 60 min. Mashing at such a high temp with so little hop, may result in a malt bomb of a beer.

I keep this beer in my pipeline as a house pale ale and love it. It is well balanced and not very hoppy at all.

8# 2 row malt
2# rye malt
8 oz. caramel 20L

.75 oz liberty@ 60
1 oz cascade @ flameout

US-05 @ 60*

I mash at 150* for about an hour give or take.

The end result is a well balanced Pale Ale that lets the rye really shine through.

I hope that this helps.

"Malt Bomb" is my new term to kill for this summer! LMAO! I'm going to have to try this Pale Ale recipe Kirk. Looks like good one!

Ok, dropped my target mash temp to 152, and upped the magnum to 1oz for 60. Beersmith says the ending SG should be 1.011 and the BU's are at 48. Should keep it from being a malt bomb! Thanks for the feedback, gonna brew this next week!

Got this one in the keg yesterday... Not bad. A touch more bitter than what I had hoped for, wish I would've stuck with the 1/2 oz of magnum... But it's tasty! Very noticeable rye flavor.

Try first wort hopping the next time you brew this one.

5 or 6 grams during lautering, then use the rest of that ounce (or some other hop)l ater in the boil to bring up the IBU's........

Got this one in the keg yesterday... Not bad. A touch more bitter than what I had hoped for, wish I would've stuck with the 1/2 oz of magnum... But it's tasty! Very noticeable rye flavor.

That bitterness might fade. I think that the spiciness in the rye may balance sweetness, allowing less hops.

Chilling will also take the bite off the bitterness as well as a bit of aging. I would hazard to guess by the time you get half way through the keg you might change your mind on the magnum.

Back