Honey Porter - Tell me how I did it wrong!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryGravy

Reaction score
Hey there guys! The following is very simple recipe that I "created" using BeerSmith and, after my Beersmith trial ran out, Brewtarget.

I brewed this beer a bit over a week ago and it is still sitting in my primary (bucket). I decided to leave it in the primary for two weeks, bottle it, and let it sit for a couple of months before trying it out. I used a 5 gallon kettle with a propane burner outside... so much easier than the first time, which I did stovetop.

After the boil, I topped off with cold bottled water and used an ice bath to get it down to ~70 degrees - took about an hour.

Fermentation started just a couple of hours after pitching, and it was wild. Had to rinse and sanitize the 3 piece airlock at least five times (no blow off tube). Bubbles stopped after four days. Haven't opened it to check for FG... will check just before planned bottling time.

I'm planning on carbing with honey to a carb volume of 2.3-2.6 volumes.

This is only my second brew, and my first that I used brew software to make. I simply did some research into the style and used the software to set parameters. However, I'm new, so I would love to hear ANY feedback as to the recipe OR the process. I read "How to Brew" front to back, but it was six months ago, and only brushed up for this batch.

For your consideration:

Cary-Chancellor Robust Honey Porter - Robust Porter (12B)Brewer
Batch Size: 5 gal
Boil Size: 3.5 gal
Boil Time: 60.000 min

OG 1.062
FG 1.016 (estimated)

ABV 6.1%
Bitterness 34.6 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 36.4 srm (Morey)

Fermentables:
Total grain: 9.750 lb

Liquid Extract (LME) - Pale Extract 6.000 lb
Dry Extract (DME) - Light Extract 1.000 lb
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 120L Grain 1.000 lb (steeped @155 for 30 mins)
Chocolate Malt (US) Grain 1.000 lb (steeped @155 for 30 mins)
Honey 12.000 oz

Hops:
Chinook 13.0% 0.500 oz Boil 60.000 min
Chinook 13.0% 0.250 oz Boil 45.000 min
Chinook 13.0% 0.250 oz Boil 30.000 min
Willamette 5.0% 1.000 oz Boil 10.000 min

Yeast:
Safale S-04 Ale Dry 0.388 oz Primary

I added the honey post-boil, but while the wort was hot. Pitched at ~70. Beer is fermenting at ~72 and has stayed constant.

Back