Honey Malt order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zorzs

Reaction score
Hi, Brewers. I just registered in forum, although Im reading it already for several years, finding it as the most useful brewing resource over the internet so far. Im from Latvia (Europe, Baltic States), brewing for 5 years, around 150 batches. So here is my issue: maybe someone from you can help me. Im looking for Honey Malt, but in the region Im living, nobody supply it from Canada. All online shops charging a hell of lot money for 1kg shipping (even 10 times more than the malt cost itself)., so it's not reasonable to ship it overseas. Probably they using diferent fast delivery services as UPS, DHL and not interested to waste time sending it cheaper via normal mail.

So maybe someone from Canada or US, can do a favour for me - buy Honey malt (for example 2kg) in local shop and send it to my address in Latvia via mail. I believe it must be much cheaper. Of course all payment from me in advance.

Thanks in advance if someone could help me.

Brewers are good people, someone might help. Overseas postage for 2kg might still be high. I don't find honey malt in my local store usually, though I'll keep an eye open for it. Meanwhile you might search for a substitute.

Honey malt is a nice malt, however, I don't know if it's worth the high price for you to get it. I would look to some of the British crystal/Carmel malts if you can get it. In my opinion, they are far superior to any of the North American crystal malts. I think like the British crystal 30-37 L would be a good substitute.

I have read a lot about honey malt and have a conclusion, that you can't sub it perfectly. There are also sugestions to sub it with melanoid, but thats also something different. Of course I dont want to spend a million to get it, just wondering if sending with normal mail is cheaper for 1kg malt.

FYI - Just did a quick price quote with USPS, Priority International Flat Rate Small Box (4 lb max) = ~$35, while a 2-lb package sent via First Class will be ~$23.

That's basically the cost of a whole batch worth of ingredients.

I don't think the cost involved for you justifies the product.

You can probably use the more commonly available Brumalt or Melanoidin malt instead. The 3 are closely related, and made with similar processes. There are differences of course, but they may be small enough to go unnoticed in the final beer.

For example, see this, an attempt in making it yourself. Use Google search for all it's worth!

If you're after real honey flavor, neither will give it to you, although I can detect more "honey-like" flavor (perhaps mouthfeel) from Honey malt than from using real honey usually. Maybe a combination of Melanoidin (or Brumalt or Honey malt) and real honey is the key.

For me, wildflower honey gives me most sense of what honey should taste like, but it's still subtle after fermentation. Buckwheat honey has it's own very distinct qualities that can also work well in beer. The rawer, the less processed the honey, the better, IMO.

I'd add honey after primary fermentation has mostly ended. It will kick up fermentation again, without stripping all flavor and aroma out. Adding it to the boil as some people do is a waste of honey, in my book. May as well add regular sugar or dextrose instead.

Last edited:
Back