Honey malt how much

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
I'm making a wheat ipa on wednesday. So the grain bill is mostly 2 row and white wheat malt. I want just a touch of honey sweetness, along with the hops, citra, simcoe, and mosaic I'm going for a easy drinking summer beer. So if I just want the slightest touch of honey sweetness how much would you add as I understand this stuff can get pretty overpowering if used in the wrong amount. Right now I have 8oz and its 3.7% of the grain bill and if it makes a diff the ibus are at 65.

I usually use 8oz of Honey malt then add 1 lb of liquid honey. along with 4.5 ls pale, 2.5 lbs white wheat, 8oz of flaked wheat. Munich is my yeast of choice, Wyeast German ale is a good one too. Mine comes in at 21 IBUS using 1oz cascade 60 min, 1 oz cascade at 10 minutes, 5 gallon batch.

I usually use 8oz of Honey malt then add 1 lb of liquid honey. along with 4.5 ls pale, 2.5 lbs white wheat, 8oz of flaked wheat. Munich is my yeast of choice, Wyeast German ale is a good one too. Mine comes in at 21 IBUS using 1oz cascade 60 min, 1 oz cascade at 10 minutes, 5 gallon batch.

Is the honey malt pretty noticeable in that grain bill, I would think it is only because of the lower base malt amounts or is it pretty subtle. I'm just looking for just a real subtle sweetness from the honey malt but my grin bill is also I think 7 lbs wheat and 5 lbs 2 row with 1lb rice hulls.

I used 8oz in a wheat beer with white labs german ale turned out very nice honey was in the background, other beers i have thrown in 4oz to add a touch of sweetness no honey flavor comes through

I've done 8 - 12 in a few beers and have been pretty happy with the results.

I also regularly use 8oz or so with good reuslts. Once I used 12oz, but no other specialty malts included

Back