Honey issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oventoasted

Reaction score
finished cooling my wort and was aerating it between the pot and primary and i thought to myself "hey! my last blonde only came out to a 4.6% abv. why not kick it up a notch and give it some more flavor!" so, i added 1lbs of honey to my 5.5 gal batch. then i pitched the yeast and closer her up.

not till this morning did i realize i never pasteurized the honey before adding it into my wort. which i read can be a bad thing since honey can have wild yeast and bacteria.

did i just send my yeast into a bad neighborhood of my own creation?? i've been apologizing to the fermentor in hopes the yeast will overcome the challenges i created for them. :(

finished cooling my wort and was aerating it between the pot and primary and i thought to myself "hey! my last blonde only came out to a 4.6% abv. why not kick it up a notch and give it some more flavor!" so, i added 1lbs of honey to my 5.5 gal batch. then i pitched the yeast and closer her up.

not till this morning did i realize i never pasteurized the honey before adding it into my wort. which i read can be a bad thing since honey can have wild yeast and bacteria.

did i just send my yeast into a bad neighborhood of my own creation?? i've been apologizing to the fermentor in hopes the yeast will overcome the challenges i created for them. :(

What kind of honey? Could it have been pasteurized already?

Ive added honey straight to my fermentor a ton of times. Once even used a big 5lb honey container which was opened twice previously. No problems

I for one have experienced contamination from a honey addition. The resulting beverage smelled and tasted like vomit. It might not happen often but it *can* happen. Just keep in mind for future reference.

Back