Honey IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

5gBrewer

Reaction score
I was brewing up an IPA yesterday when I saw this jar of honey sitting on the counter. Unable to resist, I added about half of the jar of honey in the last 20 minutes of the boil.

Does anyone have any experience with honey in IPA recipes? Or have a good Honey IPA recipe to share? If mine comes out good, I'll post the details.

5gB

5g,

I tried a honey IPA at an Oktoberfest party sponsored by the local homebrew club and loved it. The honey flavor worked well with the hops in the IPA. Since then I've wanted to try to brew one, but haven't found a good recipe. What kinds of hops did you use? Let us know how it turns out.

Darren

Are you sure you were tasting honey? Or were you tasting honey malt? I was always disappointed by the honey brews I tried and then I found out why. Honey is nearly 100% fermentable. As a result, it tends to dry out beers, not make them sweeter as one might expect. As a result, I tried a combination of a pound and a half of honey malt in the mash, and a pound of honey in the primary. The result is some sweet malty complexity that you would "imagine" would come from a honey beer. It's not the dry watery alcohol flavor that you get from honey.

Also, I had a very experienced mead maker talk me into saying screw the boil... yup, just throw the honey into the beer towards the end of primary. The alcohol should kill off any nasties that survive in the honey....

My Honey Porter seems to be everyones fav beer around here. I put 16oz of Local Bee Farm honey in my kettle 5 mins before flameout.

There is just something about it. The color and taste are very good. People say it looks awesome when its pored in a nice glass. I made 22oz bottles of that and my 4 other styles last year for Christmas presents. I made 15 cases.

Anyway I have a Honey Amber in the bottle now for one week. I am going to be patient two more weeks. I made a Sottish Ale last night. VERY slow start to ferment. Over 24 hours and after shaking the #@!% out of the carboy she is bubbling away. Just needed to be motivated I guess.

Anyway I will let you know how it goes
:mug:

Back