Honey IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomFoolery

Reaction score
We are fairly new at this and my brew partner is very ambitious. So tell me what we need to do to make this DIPA work. We were thinking continuously hopped over a 90 minute boil.

11# Maris Otter
3# Honey Malt

.25oz centennial @90
.25oz simcoe @90

.25oz centennial @75
.25oz simcoe @ 75

.25oz centennial @60
.25oz simcoe @60

.25oz centennial @45
.25oz amarillo @45

.25oz centennial @30
.25oz amarillo @30

.25oz centennial @15
.25oz amarillo @15

.5oz amarillo @FO

.5oz amarillo Dry Hop
.5oz simcoe Dry Hop

beersmith says:
OG 1.079
FG 1.020
IBU 72.3

That's ALOT of honey malt. Have you used it before in a big quantity?
Maris otter is a bit of a bready malt, and in a DIPA it may be a bit much.
Have you considered using a 2-row malt, subbing in some corn sugar for some of the malt, and leaving out most if not all of the honey malt?

Thanks for the quick reply. We're trying to get this done tonight since we are both so busy and itching for some new beer.

Yah, I know its a lot of Honey Malt. Unfortunately, it was milled and mixed together before I had any say. So I can add, but not take out grain. Any other ideas?

If you've already got that much honey malt incorporated in your grist, you're best bet may be to add 2-Row and / or sugar to make a 10 gallon batch. That's a lot of honey malt! If you can't boil 10 gallons at once, you can always add water to top it up to 10 gallons in the end. It won't make a lot of difference in the final product.

Also, imo you're wasting hops in your 75, 60, and 45 min additions. Honestly, they won't add much, if any, flavor. A single 90 min addition will probably be nearly identical to those additions. I'd say 99 people out of 100 couldn't tell a difference. They're your hops and it is your money but I've come to realize that doing a single bittering addition and then worrying more about my flavor / aroma additions makes a much better beer. You'd probably be better off saving those hops for a 5 min / FO addition, especially in a DIPA. Again, this is all just my opinion.

Hope that helps!

continuous hopping is fine if you want to, but id make the late adds bigger than the early adds. a DIPA needs way more late hops (20 and under), double at least.

hey all. sorry for getting back to this so late. we ended up going with that grain bill (hopefully it doesn't end up too bad). Our propane emptied after about an hour of the boil, so we threw in an extra .5oz of amarillo and .25oz of centennial at the flameout and just ended it there. hopefully it doesn't turn out too bad. thanks for the suggestions. maybe i'll just chalk it up to a learning experience.

Latest posts

Back