Honey instead of high sulfate ppm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlmbrwng

Reaction score
I recently brewed a single hop IPA using Amarillo. I tried a high sulfate to chloride ratio (160:50). I did this to get dryness in the finished product.
However, many brewers use an inverted ratio. It started out dry soon after primary fermentation (while it was still a bit green). Then it was sweeter and maltier by 4 weeks. I think the main reason for this is because it was likely just under 50 IBUs. I'm going to shoot for 70 or so next time.

I am now thinking that instead of using high sulfate to get the dryness, i might instead use dextrose or honey (maybe half a pound). And then I would try the inverted ratio and amounts (I know many people here say that it's not the ratio but the amounts of each :D ) of 50 ppm sulfate and 150 ppm chloride.

I don't know if this makes any sense to do. Yes, the chloride can give a bigger mouthfeel and may make it seem pointless to get a dryness through the sugar addition, but is there something to be gained from doing both?

If the beer's gravity is relatively high, then its fine to use a simple sugar source like honey to dry the beer. But if it's a smaller beer, then you are likely to lose body in the beer if you add simple sugar.

Add only enough sulfate to dry the beer's finish to your preference.

Back