Honey Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublebogey10

Reaction score
Am going to be brewing this weekend, maybe even tonight. I am moving from extract to BIAB with my next batch and was looking to accomplish three things:
1. Use up a jug of Pilsner malt that I have sitting in the fridge.
2. Try the belma hops that came out in the fall.
3. Have a nice, mellow "yellow" beer ready for Memorial Day weekend.

I usually like to post recipes here before I brew just to gather thoughts if anyone has anything to offer.

6# NB Pilsner LME
1# Briess Bavarian Wheat DME
1.5# clover honey (10 mins)

.25 oz Chinook 13AA at 60
1 oz Belma 9.8AA at 5
1 oz Belma 9.8AA at 1

Wyeast American Wheat

According to BeerCalc...
OG 1.053
FG 1.013
Color 4 SRM
IBU 28.6 (maybe a tad high)
ABV 5.3 percent

Primary for two weeks at around 65 degrees, then bottle.
Am also thinking about splitting the batch and maybe adding a little strawberry flavoring to half of it.

Is this a 6 gallon batch? In 5 gallons your beer will be ~OG 1.060.

Otherwise it looks good, I'd move your 5m addition to 10m and adjust accordingly. I love belma- great late hop. I'd also lower the IBU, because this beer will probably finish pretty dry.

daksin said:
Is this a 6 gallon batch? In 5 gallons your beer will be ~OG 1.060.

Otherwise it looks good, I'd move your 5m addition to 10m and adjust accordingly. I love belma- great late hop. I'd also lower the IBU, because this beer will probably finish pretty dry.

Thanks. I did adjust hops.
1.060? Is that from Brewsmith?

5.5 gallons into fermenter. Left about a half-gallon in the kettle with the trub.

Had a boilover early because I wasn't paying attention. OG was 1.050

Sample tasted awesome. Looks kinda darker than I expected in the carboy but it should clear up.

I racked this to secondary last night (after a week). Gravity was 1.012. The color was gorgeous. The sample tasted awesome. I had plans of adding some strawberry extract to this at bottling but that's going to change, I think. At the very least, I am going to bottle half of this as is -- Honey Blonde Ale. Still up in the air on maybe doing strawberry addition on the other half. If I do, it will be subtle - an ounce for 2.5 gallons.

photo.JPG

Back