Honey blonde ale suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason1112

Reaction score
Hey guys I staryed all grain 3 months ago here's my recipe any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 8lb pilsner. 2lb pale malt. 1lb Vienna. 4oz honey malt. 1lb white wheat malt. 1lb honey at flame out. .5oz cascade 60min. .5Oz cascade 20min .5oz Chinook 10min. 2 packs safal us05. What do u guys think?

That honey will dry it out a bit assuming u get 70% ull be around 1.066 or so og probly fown to 1.010 with the honey be around 7 ish or so

I would use 8 or 12 ounces of honey malt and skip the honey. One pack of yeast will work but if it was mine I would use 2 packs. This beer will come in at 6% to 7 % depending on your efficiency if you use the honey. :mug:

I like the original recipe just fine. Keep in mind that the honey will ferment out 100% and tend to dry out the beer and the mouthfeel, so you might want to sub like a half pound of your base malt with Carapils or low crystal to balance that out. Otherwise looks great. One pack of yeast is PLENTY.

It's a lot going on with pils, pale, Vienna, and wheat. That's ok, though.

I would lower the honey. I think a blonde like this should be around 5%. Just my opinion.

I brewed this beer today and I used brew house efficiency calculator. It says I got 80 percent efficiency is that possible or is there a more accurate efficency calculator out there?

80% is not unusual your beer might be a little bit stronger, Myself I find that to be a good thing. I can use less grain in the future if I want to.:mug:

Update taste test. 8lb pilsen 2lb 2 row 1lb Vienna 1lb white wheat 12oz honey malt.50 Chinook 60min .50 cascade 30min .50casade 10min. Safal us05. Wow this is the best tasting brew I made to date. It is so smooth and delicious. Definitely one I'll brew again. I want to thank all u guys who gave me tips! Homebrew forum is a great place to get advice without someone bein rude. Thanks guys!

One question: You're using (bee) honey or Gambrinus honey malt in this recipe?

Update. 8lb pilsen 2lb pale ale. 1lb vienna 1lb white weat 1lb honey malt. Chinook .50 60min. Cascade .50. 20min. Cascade .50. 10min. Safale us05. With starter. This beer is so smooth. Everyone loves it. Great flavor

Back