Honey Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taelmore

Reaction score
Im looking for an easey way, Because I am very new to this, To make a really good honey beer. Somethin like a honey amber or hefiwisen. Any Ideas or leads would really be appreciated.

Thank's
:mug:

that's really all their is to it, the sugar in the honey wont mess with the botteling or the fermentation time. Sorry for the stupit question but we all have to start some place.

The only stupid question is a question that is not asked. All Coastarine was saying was that a ton of the information is out in this forum, and can be found by using the search feature.

The honey can affect your fermentation time, but as long as you measure with a hydrometer everything should be fine. Even with your bottling.

Honey will boost your gravity, but as long as you allow the honey to ferment out bottling should go as usual. Honey ferments a little slower, but not much. I just brewed an irish red on friday, got a very fast start out of my yeast, added a pound of honey on saturday, and today (monday) the airlock has slowed to a bubble every 30 seconds or so. I haven't taken a gravity, but I'd bet that the gravity is pretty stable. It would seem that the honey didn't add any time at all.

Sorry, I forget that some people might not actually know how to search. It's at the top of the page in the center.
Here is a list of threads with honey in the title. As you can see they come up quite often:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/search.php?searchid=2067554

I will try to find the search feature :"quote"

the one that says search in the header :D
User CPBlogsFAQMembers ListCalendarNew PostsSearch
menu_open.gif
Quick Links
menu_open.gif
Unanswered ThreadsLog OutMy Gallery

Search Forum With Google

The same people read this forum that read the other one. No need for multiple threads for one question.

By my heightened powers of deduction, I suspect that you are interested in honey...

hey thank's for the help, another question would be is their a rule on how much honey you would put in say a 5 gal batch of brew?

COOL thanks for all the help, and sorry I am new to all of this, including the fourm so sorry for the mix up and once again thanks for all the help

tom

I'm way late on this but I want to add my .02 cents.

Adding honey to the wort is an excellent way to lighten your beer. It also boosts the alcohol because it is very fermentable. I make a honey ale for summer and it is excellent on a hot day. I like it ice cold. I have never gotten honey flavor from it. Just a lighter bodied beer with more alcohol. I say start off with one pound and go as high as 2 pounds and you can't go wrong.

ballbuster - I would rather put in two pounds of honey than two pounds of sugar.
1 lb for a light beer, 2 lb for a medium beer makes it just a little lighter in taste, but does not overpower the beer.
I use honey a lot when I'm making "house" beers, but don't use it if I'm trying a new recipe. For a new brewer I would say follow the recipe, see what the creator wanted, then if you feel the need add honey.
When it comes to canned kits that most new brewers use, and I have used many times I add honey.
You can take a standard coopers can, add four pounds of honey, maybe half an ounce of flavor / aroma hops if needed and make a braggot that is just fantastic using late extract additions.
With malt base, honey will still ferment out rather quickly, at the most it adds a day or two depending on the yeast. Three lbs per gal of honey by itself is a little hard on the yeast so it can take a long time. I over sparge a pale all grain batch and use the last two gallons as a base for my meads. After a year you will never know there was any malt in the mead, but it ferments so much faster and then it's just conditioning.
Sorry for such a long post, but I feel the need to defend using honey, try it and see if you like it.

I'm way late on this but I want to add my .02 cents.

Adding honey to the wort is an excellent way to lighten your beer. It also boosts the alcohol because it is very fermentable. I make a honey ale for summer and it is excellent on a hot day. I like it ice cold. I have never gotten honey flavor from it. Just a lighter bodied beer with more alcohol. I say start off with one pound and go as high as 2 pounds and you can't go wrong.

Thats been pretty much my experience as well. I make a honey beer with 3.6# light or amber LME and 2#s of honey shooting for gravity around .040. Whatever hops I have available and feel like using to get to 15-20 IBU. Works really well as an Ale or as a Lager.

I have never noticed a flavor that I could identify as tasting like honey though. Perhaps that is because I've been doing it wrong by adding the honey into the boil though ?
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/why-not-boil-honey-76634/

I ordered a few extract kits from MWS including the "Honey Bee Ale" and "Honey Amber Ale". I'm curious about the Honey Bee Ale as it seems to have a higher amount (3#) of honey than what you guys are suggesting as a limit. Anyone have experience with this kit? I guess I'm gonna find out first hand as my order is arriving today. With a little luck I'll get to brew tonight:ban:

Honey will boost your gravity, but as long as you allow the honey to ferment out bottling should go as usual. Honey ferments a little slower, but not much. I just brewed an irish red on friday, got a very fast start out of my yeast, added a pound of honey on saturday, and today (monday) the airlock has slowed to a bubble every 30 seconds or so.

How'd that brew turn out?

What was your recipe?

How'd it go?

It went really well. The recipe called for a 2.5 gal boil, but using the awesome sauce brew kettle insulation blanket I was able to for the first time get a full 5 gallon boil. I figured it would be a little more bitter though because of the increased hop utilization, so I added 1 lb of honey at the flameout, and 1 lb of honey on sunday when I saw the fermentation really begin to slow down.

As far as I can tell it's going to be awesome.

Back