Honey as a primer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deathtractor

Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried honey to prime their beer? I read about it in the joy of homebrewing. Just wondering...

Unless you know the exact sugar content of your honey I would highly discourage it. Honey has highly inconsistent sugar levels and labels are merely an average and may not be accurate. Since the small amount you would use to prime won't add much flavor to the brew I would use dextrose.

Unless you know the exact sugar content of your honey I would highly discourage it. Honey has highly inconsistent sugar levels and labels are merely an average and may not be accurate. Since the small amount you would use to prime won't add much flavor to the brew I would use dextrose.

you could work around that by measuring the gravity of the honey priming solution to make sure its equivalent to one using dextrose. I think I've also seen recommendations to do half honey and half dextrose to play it safe.

Papazians book says to use 1 cup of honey as a primer for a 5 gallon batch. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried this and what kind of results to expect...good bad?

mix 4 oz or 1/2 cup (it is the same) of honey, per 5 gallon batch, instead of priming sugar.

I use pure, spun from the honeycomb and bottled honey. :rockin:

I am planning to use honey exclusively for bottling my beers....all of them...as long as I am bottling....:mug:

When adding to wort I sub 1 cup for 1 lbs of grain at boil flame out... if this ratio is a bit off I do not care.....:drunk:

Some notes on honey:

Honey does not need to be pasteurized because it never goes bad. The sugars will crystallize as it ages but if it is heated it will "melt back" and is still good.

Honey in the store may be pasteurized and/or diluted "up to" 20% with water and still carry the "pure honey" on the label.

Honey sauce is NOT honey....

I get to quote myself...... on a nearly duplacate thread...... nifty...

I've been wondering this myself, and I read on another thread somewhere that the honey must be boiled before using because of the pollin, and other stuff, in the honey that could spoil the beer. Is this true? If not, instead of eating a spoonfull of honey everyday for my allergies, I could just drink some delicious home brewed beer!

Latest posts

Back