Honey and Bottle Bombs/Air Locks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigeb

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew a Honey Cream Ale kit. One of the ingredients that comes with it is honey (imagine that.) I had a few questions.

One, with the addition of honey, do I need to worry about bottle bombs? I know fermentation will consume the sugars and that I should measure gravities but I just want to be sure.

Two, with honey added and all the sugar it contains besides the wort, would a simple airlock be OK or should I use a blowout tube instead? I would think with all the sugars the fermentation could be significant.

This is my second batch (first with a kit) and while I enjoy looking at other folk's "explosions" I'm not looking forward to cleaning up my own.

Thanks!

Are you bottle priming with honey or is it going into the primary?

If its going into the primary, its going to ferment similarly to other sugars. It is mostly fermentable sugars.

Bottle priming would be a little trickier because honey does not have a consistent amount of sugar when compared to corn or cane sugar. Honey, without measuring the amount of sugar present in a specific amount, could over or under carb the beer.

If its going into the primary, use a blowoff tube if you've got it. You can always put a different airlock on later.

I just did a honey weizen yesterday with 2 lbs of honey and had 2 blow offs last night and this morning with a conventional airlock. I went and bought a 1" tube and stuck it into the carboy. But I am only using a 5 gal carboy with little head space too. I don't think I'll ever brew anything again without a blow off tube, at least until it calms down a bit.

The honey is going in the primary. So it sounds like I won't have any bottle bombs (at least based on this.)

Also, airlock out, blow off tube in. I assume the yeast and all the sugars are going to have one hell of a party.

Thanks for the sanity check!

Latest posts

Back