Honest Pint Project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenghali

Reaction score
Just stumbled upon this while reading about a brewery in Oakridge, OR.

http://honestpintproject.org/

Essentially, you can certify your local pub or brewery for serving honest pints instead of 14 ounce shaker "pints" or other deceitful vessels.

It's a serious problem! I asked for a pint the other night and the server didn't understand I guess and brought a 12 oz bottle out, popped the lid and poured it into a "pint" glass with a slight bit of head it totally filled the glass. unfortunate...

While I agree getting less than you paid for is a problem, I don't think whipping out a measuring device in the bar is the correct way to make a change. Honestly, all I can see that doing is pissing off the bartender...

Yea I was thinking that if I ever did it I would do it discreetly and if it was a proper pint then I would let the cat out of the bag.

Yea I was thinking that if I ever did it I would do it discreetly and if it was a proper pint then I would let the cat out of the bag.

Even if you did that I could see the response being a "you think I was cheating you, get out of my bar" kind of thing.

I love the concept of the honest pint!

I am surprised that here in the USA there has been no following of the European laws. As mentioned before the serving glasses are required by law to state the actual volume and I think in Britain there is a line on the glass which shows the limit to the size of the head allowed. People over there got sick and tired of being "ripped off" and did something about it.

I don't like short pints, but I also don't like "filled-to-the-brim" Brit. style either. My favourite 'pints' were these 24oz glasses at this pizza place when I was in school. They were $3.50, half that happy hour. 10 years ago or so. Filled pretty close to the top - within a cm.

i've noticed tons of places around here saying "draft" instead of "pint" the wording then lets them use whatever size glass they want.

i've noticed tons of places around here saying "draft" instead of "pint" the wording then lets them use whatever size glass they want.

I have seen short and tall as well. Here in WI we have the Dept. of Weights and Measures I report all 14oz pints I find to them.

Recently I asked for a pint in a hipster kind of place I try to not frequent and got it in a tall 11.2oz glass. :(. Made a comment to the bartender and got the reply that's what the owner gives us for beer glasses, when clearly there were pint glasses on the shelf behind him, he said those were for mixed drinks! WTF

Brewery out here uses .4 L mugs. Kinda pisses me off it's not .5

While I agree getting less than you paid for is a problem, I don't think whipping out a measuring device in the bar is the correct way to make a change. Honestly, all I can see that doing is pissing off the bartender...

Personally I could care less if the bartender is pissed or not, It's false advertising if they call it a pint and you get less. I wouldn't be a regular at a place that was fine with ripping me and everyone else off. Alcohol is already the cash cow for restaurants and obviously bars , it's only right to get what you pay for.

The certification process should include the use of a proper measuring vessel. Those pyrex kitchen cups are often off by 5% or more. There should also be a way to list pubs that don't serve proper pints.

:mad: Yeah and that crap pisses me off too! There have been a couple local watering holes here in the Jacksonville area that offer "Free drafts with food purchase" or "$1 Drafts" only to recieve an 8oz child's cup filled with 80% beer, 15% foam, and 5% nothin'!

Back