Homemade ice cream

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kent88

Sometimes I have to remind myself
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Mint ice cream custard

Recipe

PXL_20201222_195126196.jpg
PXL_20201222_200156826.jpg
PXL_20201222_203629505.jpg
PXL_20201223_020532449.jpg
PXL_20201223_021344673.jpg

Tempering eggs is a pain in the butt.
Yeah, tempering eggs... the only key to custard.

That ice cream maker gets used maybe twice a year.

But it's tasty.
More than I've ever used it.

I have a cheap countertop ice cream maker. You freeze the (fairly small) container (luckily I've got 2) before use. That's all the cold you get... and it's small, about a quart at a time... Yours looks waaaay better!

I've used it for sorbets mostly, and once made some pumpkin ice cream (from a real pumpkin) that was more than just acceptable due to very (no, no, very!) subtle spicing.
Haven't used it in 7 years I'd say, but you've got me interested again!

Not ice cream or custard related, I've something coming up I want to post around New Year.
Stay tuned.

I also used it to make frozen yogurt this summer, but the last time before that I didn't know until this evening when my wife showed me that her phone's album had an "x-many years ago this week" entry that showed the last time we made mint ice cream, probably in '16.

I think I like the frozen yogurt better. Not because of the taste, they're both really good, but I wouldn't have to ride the cholesterol express, and I didn't have to whisk the yogurt until my arm falls off. I need to try out some tweaks to the frozen yogurt I made. Ginger is good, but I'd really like to use peaches or berries.

The pumpkin ice cream sounds good. I haven't had pumpkin ice cream in years. Bring on the spicing.

Our ice cream maker fits on a Kitchenaid stand mixer. Last year I bought my wife a new mixer and it doesn't fit as well on there as it did on the smaller one.

Keep me posted on your New Years project.

I have the old fashion ice and salt ice cream machine. It's a cheap machine that can make 6 quarts. I quickly realized now unhealthy ice cream really is and that I don't need to make 6 quarts.

I've gotten all of my recipes from the book "The Perfect Scoop". It's a good book but a lot of the recipes are too rich for my liking. What's your go to source for ice cream recipes?

I hardly have a need for a go-to source for recipes. I did buy a book for my wife some time ago, but it never gets used.

I've made two batches of ice cream in my life, plus the frozen yogurt. You have links for two of those already. The first batch I made was basically chocolate cookies and cream, but the cookies were Nutter Butters, a favorite of my wife's. I found that recipe online as well.

My wife has made a handful of batches of raspberry and vanilla custards, she might have found recipes for those in a book by Bruce Weinstein, or might've found them online, I don't know.

for a while i think back in 2016, i was making a heathy iced milk sorta thing, i'd blend milk with sunflower seeds for the fat and use my ice cream maker to freeze it, wasn't THAT bad, and healthy!

edit: i'd have to say though, i've never been a fan of mint....

Love making ice cream with the grandkids. Just milk, sugar, heavy cream and chocolate chips. It is a simple, wholesome and very delicious treat, way better than store bought. The little ones love the whole experience.

Oh, yeah, I forgot: vanilla extract as well.

Love making ice cream with the grandkids. Just milk, sugar, heavy cream and chocolate chips. It is a simple, wholesome and very delicious treat, way better than store bought. The little ones love the whole experience.

Oh, yeah, I forgot: vanilla extract as well.
I like to use the 1lb bars of chocolate from trader joe's, I use the 72% cacao.

Unless you buy ultra premium ice cream the store bought stuff is full so many fillers and who else knows what.

If your going to eat ice cream, it better be good, if I make it, I feel like I earned it.

Great thread Kent. One of the things I love about home is the smooth density, akin to gelato.

KA has an ice cream attachment? Oh no......:ghostly:

Back