Homebrewtalk Peloton

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While all y'all were talking in coded acronyms I got in touch with customer service. It appears I successfully activated my code through my health insurance and should not be directly billed for the service for a little over a year. It was slightly less annoying this time, and took probably a quarter of the time it took me to sign up in the first place, but was still too long.

So, I guess I'm sticking around for a while.

Not really sure if I was going to actually pay full price for it. Depending on whether this benefit resets every year, we may never know.

Well I feel silly. There are strength upper body warm up videos. I think I'll check out a couple of those, and if I find one I like I'll stack one with arms & intervals rides so I get credit for a strength exercise on days where I do an arms & intervals ride. If the one I tried this morning is any indication, it's not like the warm ups are exhausting enough that I feel like I need to be credited for those anyway.

Took my first post FTP test Power Zone session that utilized my adjusted zone number (see earlier post) The activity level aligned well to the target zones being called out, and the physical response was also closely aligned. Definitely not a difficult workout today, but the first time I'm working on longer endurance type engagement.

I recognize this is meaningless drivel for those without a Peloton Bike/Bike+, so apologies. Tomorrow it's back to arms & upper body strength while I give my legs a day off.

While all y'all were talking in coded acronyms I got in touch with customer service. It appears I successfully activated my code through my health insurance and should not be directly billed for the service for a little over a year. It was slightly less annoying this time, and took probably a quarter of the time it took me to sign up in the first place, but was still too long.

So, I guess I'm sticking around for a while.

Not really sure if I was going to actually pay full price for it. Depending on whether this benefit resets every year, we may never know.

Joining Welcome Home GIF

Took my first post FTP test Power Zone session that utilized my adjusted zone number (see earlier post) The activity level aligned well to the target zones being called out, and the physical response was also closely aligned. Definitely not a difficult workout today, but the first time I'm working on longer endurance type engagement.

I recognize this is meaningless drivel for those without a Peloton Bike/Bike+, so apologies. Tomorrow it's back to arms & upper body strength while I give my legs a day off.

Yeah, that's what I love about PZE. I can do a longer class and get a more effective workout, but I know it's never programmed to exhaust me.

Yesterday I did one of Christine's new PZE classes that's 60 minutes, and the entirety of it after the warmup was zone 2. It was my 4th day riding in a row, and I really wanted to ride (going to be hit or miss all the rest of this week due to golf and travel), so I knew that even though it was going to be 60 minutes, it was something I could handle because it was all Z2.

Power Zone Week 1 classes complete. Getting settled in on finding my way to a resistance+cadence freedom to work in a specific zone. (ex: I find it quite easy to spin at 85rpm, so adjust the resistance to a place where I'm generating an output within the range defined as Zone 3. when the next activity is defined as hold your cadence but work in Zone 4, increase resistance until the output is within the Zone 4 range)

I like that the Zone ranges are individual and based on the 20 minute endurance test. My current Zone 2 can change as my fitness increases (as proven by retaking the 20 min endurance test) so the workout will always be tailored to my capabilities and not just a generic range.

The only downside I see is that I'm also using this as a weight loss enabler. While my endurance is increasing with improved fitness, the pace of weight loss has decreased due to me taking less higher intensity classes during the week. I suspect this will be a wash in the long play, but I need to adjust my weight loss perspective in the short play to keep mentally in it at the lower loss pace.

@Rodent If you can fit it in the schedule, once the program ends, try to take more of the longer-duration PZE classes. That helps build the cardio base for all workouts, but with the longer duration of the classes you get great calorie burn even though the exertion level is lower per minute. I.e. my 30 minute PR which was hardcore says I burned 585 cal. The 60 minute PZE that was entirely Z2 says I burned 891 cal. And I got off that 60 minute class thinking I could do another 30 if I wanted.

We're up in Paso Robles and I decided to take an app class on the hotel spin bike. That was NOT the same experience. Part of it was that I was on a janky bike that sucked, didn't know my seat settings, the seat sucked, etc. But I'd definitely say having the Peloton equipment is a completely different [and better] experience.

Traveled a bit this past week. Messed up my back a little, but I'm planning on getting back on the stationary bike today. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the dumbbells out.

yesterday was my legs day off while I climbed up/down a ladder applying a horticultural oil to the cherry orchard. took about 2 hours to complete the job, and then off to haul all the prunings from a couple weeks back over to the burn pit and manage that fire for a couple hours. I lost just over 2.5 pounds from my morning weigh-in pre-breakfast until after a light upper body workout later yesterday evening. should have had my steps meter running, because I did enough that my legs were fried.

all that to say that it was super tempting to skip today's leg day, but I pushed on with the scheduled PZ session (30 minute Zone 4 endurance workout) and found it was 85% mental challenge with my legs ready to ride once I got my head aligned with the work to be done. definitely got me loosened up to get back outside today and maybe visit one of the local parks along the river

Walked 5.6 mi on the [very short] golf course today so no riding or strength planned. Will do a stretch here shortly to keep the streak going, but riding and weights will wait for tomorrow.

Wondering if I should go all out and do my FTP again. It's been over 3 months now. I think I'll be up for it.

Holy hell... Retook the FTP today since the first time was Dec 1. It was everything I've dreaded and procrastinated from doing again. I ded.

On the bright side I boosted my 20 minute PR from 343 to 359 kJ, and my FTP from 272 to 284 W.

I was going to make today the start of another week of Ben's 5-day split but... No. Not happening.

I took a couple laps around the homestead during lunch break and opted to include the access road down to the riverside. it's an elevation drop of around 50 feet (maybe more) over about 100 yards. steep enough that I used to take a 45-90 second stop about 2/3 the way up to catch my breath before finishing the climb. today I was not only able to make the climb out without a stop midway up, but I was able to ascend the climb at the same brisk pace that I lapped the reasonably level property and continue the pace without a stop before finishing my laps. that's huge for me, and achieving a goal I set back in Nov to be able to ascend up from the river without taking a break.

the work on the bike is paying off out in the real world

I took a couple laps around the homestead during lunch break and opted to include the access road down to the riverside. it's an elevation drop of around 50 feet (maybe more) over about 100 yards. steep enough that I used to take a 45-90 second stop about 2/3 the way up to catch my breath before finishing the climb. today I was not only able to make the climb out without a stop midway up, but I was able to ascend the climb at the same brisk pace that I lapped the reasonably level property and continue the pace without a stop before finishing my laps. that's huge for me, and achieving a goal I set back in Nov to be able to ascend up from the river without taking a break.

the work on the bike is paying off out in the real world

Way to go!

I remember a hike I did way back in 2015 when I had just gotten into it, and it was a HUGE climb that I just stopped halfway through, took my shirt off and put it over my head to shield me from the sun, and waited it out until I could keep going again. Then a couple months later I did the same climb with my crazy cycling buddy, and although I couldn't exactly keep up with him, I could at least get to the top without stopping. It was a HUGE mental win.

So good for you! Keep up the good work and you'll continue to see things that you used to think were tough (or not possible) open up right before you...

@Rodent You're killing it on the March cycling challenge! Good work!
Thank you 🥰

Made the commitment today to get up extra early and get my PZ ride in vs taking the easy out and putting it off to another day. Had customer meetings (video calls) kicking off at 7A local and running back-back non-stop until 4P today. no way I was fitting in a ride any other way.

I learned something in the process today: my brain is numb enough with the early up + no coffee that I wasn't a clock watcher on the 45 minute ride. Last night I was thinking it would kill me extending my typ ride time by 50% (45 min vs 30 min) but the 45 minutes were up before I was fully awake and thinking about getting up at 5:30A to hop on a bike and spin pedals. I'm not going to repeat it tomorrow, but good to know it can be done when one wants to accomplish the work.

Dennis had some great 'how stuff works' info during the session (building up glycogen reserves during extended endurance work) that made sense, challenging me to push harder so I can up myself to take on more 45 minute rides over then coming couple months

and if people's profiles are truthfully accurate ... I was passed and left in the dust by a guy in his 70s who pedaled to finish with a workout number about 50% higher than mine. Yea: it's possible to get in shape and keep it well into the sunset years. Ugh: I was left in the dust by a guy in his 70s :D (not that there's anything wrong with that)

Had the house to myself for the weekend, so I tried a couple different workouts I wouldn't normally get to do.

One had a music theme going, but I wanted to go for a longer ride and see how a 2-for-1 works. It was also a little longer ride, which felt good because I knew I wouldn't be interrupted by screaming kids. I also wanted to get an arms workout in, so tonight I started with an upper body warmup with a trainer/instructor who went at a pace that was just a bit more than I was prepared for. Followed that up with a 45minute arms&intervals, and just so I'm done for today as well (rode through midnight) I ended with a 5-minute cooldown. I definitely perspired, but I don't feel terrible. I guess I could've pushed myself a bit more.

Wish I had focused on ticking a few more items off my to-do list so I could also try something different again before everyone gets back. Oh well.

I've noticed that I get a Dynamic Duo badge every time I follow along with a video someone I follow has watched. Seems a bit excessive. I suppose it doesn't harm anything, but after a while it seems to lose its significance.

I've noticed that I get a Dynamic Duo badge every time I follow along with a video someone I follow has watched. Seems a bit excessive. I suppose it doesn't harm anything, but after a while it seems to lose its significance.

Yeah, I'm the same way. While there are a lot of badges I care about, that's not one of them. Heck, prior to @treacheroustexan starting this thread, the only person I followed on Peloton is my wife. It's not a badge I chase.

getting the work in while I can - spring is almost here and there's an orchard extension to get planted, raised garden beds to build, a grape trellis (2 horizontal rows) to build and table grapes to plant, several ornamental trees to get planted, and a rose garden to plan and start work on. to all this there's 2-1/2 acres to mow with a riding mower and 1-1/2 acres to mow with the tractor.

o, and work travel is about to pick up so that will impact as well. all of the conditioning is paying off out on the ranch, but it's going to be difficult to keep at it once all those chores kick in come mid April

(excuses, excuses, excuses - right?!!)

I was all excited to get my outdoor bike out of winter storage. I overestimated the air in the tires, and found a flat when I got to my house.

I need to learn to change a bicycle tire, but I think I'm going to let a pro handle it when I take it in for the yearly check up.

So I can see the day coming soon when I'm not earning the daily streaks.

took a 20 minute cycling class this morning and noticed that the instructor was not pedaling for at least a third of it. she was quite motivational, and it was a solid session, but really odd that she stood/sat clipped in but not pedaling for a good portion of the 20 minutes. The camera was close in from the front for most of the non pedaling parts, so it was obvious at first.

I'm sure there's a legit reason as to why, including something as simple as pulling a muscle in the previous class that day.

Next ride is Friday - it'll be good to take a day off from pedaling and spend some time on the arms & upper body

I've noticed an instructor or two doing that. It bugs me too, but we're still pedaling along with each other most of the time.

I wonder how hard Peloton is pushing them to push out content. Just looking at one of the instructors I follow along with, earlier this month she had one day where she put out just shy of 2hours of content. But her typical day of taping seems to usually be 40minutes to about an hour of new content, and it looks like about three days a week are spent filming.

But they're probably doing a lot behind the scenes to keep looking muscular, ya know, like someone qualified to lead workout videos for you.

It could also be that they need to get enough air to shout encouragement at the camera.

It doesn't sound like you're harshly criticizing, I'm just giving stream of thought about why it makes sense to me. It does actually bug me that they're sneaking in a little break at times, but it doesn't happen often and I do my best to shrug it off like how I do that the arms& intervals rides don't count as strength exercises.

definitely not griping, more of a sharing something unexpected in today's feed and wondering if it happens in other classes. I had noticed the opposite in one low impact class, where the suggested resistance was light but the instructor kept adding until his effort smoothed out

I bet there's a lot to keep up on off camera. definitely not something I'd be able to do

my first ride today had an instructor just returning from a cycling race accident, and she noted having been unable to spin for eight weeks, and that she had only been back on the bike for a week or so. recovery riding took on a new meaning for her, and being able to pedal for 20 minutes with minimal resistance/cadence was a breakthrough in her recovery.

more proof we're all human and working to better our fitness, and as @betarhoalphadelta noted a page our two back - we need to take a day of recovery time here and there to avoid injury and/or burnout

Yeah, I get it, although I still get annoyed when they don't pedal.

The funniest one to me is Alex Toussaint. He's a good instructor and I like his classes (when I like the playlists), but I don't understand how, with resistance callouts fairly low, he's getting absolutely drenched in sweat despite the fact that he'll stand up out of the pedals and talk for 30 seconds multiple times in a ride. While at the same time I take his rides when I *don't* want to push resistance all that hard, and although I sweat a ton in other rides, don't do so much in his classes.

I feel like such a worthless pile of mastodon dung today.

Had to wake up and drop the kids at school. Okay then. But then after that had to get quickly to the office. Stuck at the office longer than I'd like, but I'd looked at the strength classes and thought "yeah, I can totally do that 30 minute JJ chest & back strength". Got home and had ZERO motivation.

Ended up with a 10 minute full body stretch just to keep the streak.

Have to go into the office again tomorrow so I won't have a TON of time, but I'm gonna have to atone for this.

I unfortunately skipped my extra-10 ride today. Mini-she was just not having it today (or most days for the last week and a half), and I let time get away from me. Before I knew it, it was almost time to pick up mini-me from school and little girl was finally hungry. Still got 15 minutes in.

I'm not as upset as @betarhoalphadelta . I don't have a burning desire to atone for this. I'm just a bit frustrated that it didn't work out better, but oh well.

Just saw that it was a recently recorded Christine D class. Amazing that she has recovered so well and fast since one of here early post-crash/injury Recovery classes on 2 Nov last year. In that recovery class she was barely hobbling along at 70ish cadence and 22ish resistance, and her right arm/shoulder was causing her fits

That is an insanely high wattage output on those four peak efforts @betarhoalphadelta

I assume those are out of the saddle type efforts

In the saddle b/c I can't hit the cadence I was hitting on those OOS. Resistance was high 60s, first effort was 66 at 115-120 cadence lol. Later efforts were 69 at about 100 cadence. I probably could have gotten OOS and taken down the cadence to hit those wattages if I'd gone >80 resistance.

That was absolute max for me. I have no more than what I put out for those 30s pushes.

@cubalz Congrats on 1K minutes!

@Kent88 I don't know if you care about the annual challenge goal, but just FYI if you join, it will count every minute you've already amassed for the year. I joined the 2022 one in VERY late December and used my 2022 number to somewhat guide what I thought I could make my goal for 2023. So don't think that you're missing out because you didn't join in time.

@Kent88 I don't know if you care about the annual challenge goal, but just FYI if you join, it will count every minute you've already amassed for the year. ... So don't think that you're missing out because you didn't join in time.

I did think it wouldn't count what I had already done, and I don't think I discovered that particular challenge until well into February.

For some reason my app has also been suggesting the Running Challenge, even though I don't have the tread, nor have I installed their app on any iOS device.

I did think it wouldn't count what I had already done, and I don't think I discovered that particular challenge until well into February.

For some reason my app has also been suggesting the Running Challenge, even though I don't have the tread, nor have I installed their app on any iOS device.

Yeah, like I said I did it in late December, and it counted my 4K+ minutes I'd already completed from 2022.

The running challenge is probably suggested because you can do outdoor runs that will track mileage. So if you have an app on a device with a GPS, it'll probably make it available. I see that one on my phone but not on the desktop/browser version or on the bike interface.

Back