Homebrewing Music

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Johnny Cash - Covid - Bob Marley - Meshuggah - Metallica - Killswitch Engage - Lil John - Toby Keith - etc etc etc

I turn on the TV, crank up the surround sound, and tune to an XM Radio channel I get with my DirecTV service: Lithium. All 90's grunge, all the time...

Noone else puts on traditional German folk music while smoking a pipe and doing a 4 hour triple decoction mash? I don't do that either..

Coheed and Cambria, just because it's a good bet I'll be listening to them at any given point, but also The Who, Hendrix, etc. It seems to be appropriate for brewing, grilling and so on.

Oh, and as the people who listened to my first AG brewcast can tell you, I'm a fan of Lemon Jelly and other ambient/electronica/whatever music.

I generally listen to classic rock and some contemporary rock. Lately I've been on a Dragonforce, Hammerfall, Nightwish,... kick.

Everything except country and rap. Except I am usually brewing with a friend who's musical tastes are VERY different from mine, and we are usually chatting away and the music would be in the way. I turn off the tunes out of respect for his differing tastes.

It would be nice if we could listen to a brewing podcast or something, but he'd just ignore it and start chatting about something else.

Stuff I normally listen to:

Pink Floyd
Led Zep
Dr. Horrible (guilty pleasure) and Commentary!
Van Halen
Styx
Black Eyed Peas
Dream Theater
Weird Al (isn't it time for a new album?)
Joe Satriani
Steve Vai
Anything with awsum guitar

Don Caballero - (If you're a drummer or appreciate ape man drumming and psuedo deconstructed metal and math rock check this stuff out - it's my high water mark for bad assedness)
Will Oldham
Shellac
Sebadoh
Steely Dan - cant buy a thrill
Miles Davis - Live Evil
John Fahey and/or any of his followers
Zep
Tortoise
Unwound! (best band in the world for their creative use of noise and intensity....loved em)

Usually Phish, but always a live concert no matter the band. They're long and I don't have to worry about picking more music.

Edcculus - definitely jealous. Just finished listening to the last of the Hampton shows. Nice to see them come back strong after going out so poorly at Coventry.

I'm all over the road...

Flogging Molly <--- mostly
Pogues
Dead
Mike Doughty
Dave Matthews (screw you... he makes some great live music) :mug:
Muddy Waters
James Brown
Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings
Buckcherry

Mostly FM though

O.K. so I'm an old guy.:) Just did a batch this morning . Travis Tritt and an old cd from The Band got me through it just nicely.:mug:

Pink Floyd
YES
Rush
Incubus
Satriani
Edger Winter
Frampton
Dr. Hook <-Great stuff!
Dragonforce
Diecast
and what ever else I put in along the way

Don Caballero - (If you're a drummer or appreciate ape man drumming and psuedo deconstructed metal and math rock check this stuff out - it's my high water mark for bad assedness)
Will Oldham
Shellac
Sebadoh
Steely Dan - cant buy a thrill
Miles Davis - Live Evil
John Fahey and/or any of his followers
Zep
Tortoise
Unwound! (best band in the world for their creative use of noise and intensity....loved em)

I could maybe brew with you for like half a day. Will Oldham is totally my favorite ever, I've brewed to Shellac, Sebadoh, and Unwound,and I will occasionally listen to Don Cab, but it gets a little repetitive for a guy like me who likes loud guitars.

As for the other stuff you have listed, eh. I like Miles Davis, but I wouldn't listen to him while brewing and Zeppelin can **** right off back to hell. :)

Noone else puts on traditional German folk music while smoking a pipe and doing a 4 hour triple decoction mash? I don't do that either..

Irish folk music close enough? And cigars... I have 12hrs of it on the ipod... I feel I'm inspiring the fledgling brew with some proper attidude...

I vary, depending on my mood:

Hank III is at the top of the list
Those Poor Bastards
Johnny Cash
Waylon
Willie
Hank Williams

Blues:
Brownie McGee and Sonny Terry

Rock:
Pantera
AC/DC

..and Zeppelin can **** right off back to hell. :)

HUH? What is there not to like about Zep? Ok, some of the songs don't do it for me, but they are very diverse. I can only imagine what they sound like in a "smokey" environment...

And Stoutfan, I have been wanting to hear what Dragonforce is all about. I heard their guitar is very good. Reminds me to get on the web and look them up!

+1 on the live shows. :mug:

For me, it's usually Widespread Panic, The Dead or Yonder Mountain String Band. It gets me in a great groove and brings back memories of the shows.

HUH? What is there not to like about Zep? Ok, some of the songs don't do it for me, but they are very diverse. I can only imagine what they sound like in a "smokey" environment...

And Stoutfan, I have been wanting to hear what Dragonforce is all about. I heard their guitar is very good. Reminds me to get on the web and look them up!

I absolutely loathe the vocals. Pure wanking annoyance.

Yes Dr Horrible! I've worn my Captain Hammer shirt to a bunch of homebrewing events, but no one has picked up on it yet :(

I like the idea of live shows. I'll definitely have to use Live at Leeds during my next batch.

Yes Dr Horrible! I've worn my Captain Hammer shirt to a bunch of homebrewing events, but no one has picked up on it yet :(

I like the idea of live shows. I'll definitely have to use Live at Leeds during my next batch.

This is the one. Freeze ray. Tell your friends.

If you have not done so, you NEED to buy the DVD and hear the Commentary! songs. I have a few copies of the songs ripped so we can sing along in the house and car. Freakin addictive!

I hope this doesn't result in me having to turn in my man card...

I have been looking for a shirt that says, "The Hammer is my P e n i s." :D

Oh please, I've bought that three times. First when it was only available on iTunes, then I got the cd from Amazon mp3, and finally I got 'my wife' the DVD for Christmas. You used to be able to get shirts from Jinx but looking now they seem to be gone.

I think to bring this back on topic I need to listen to it next time I brew. Oh shucks.

I bring my Laptop into the garage and run Pandora- I typically listen to
Pink Floyd
Isis
Killswitch Engage
Tool
Sublime
Pepper
Tom Petty
Meshuggah
Black Keys
Calexico
Machine Head
My Morning Jacket
Cash

I better stop before I get to carried away :rockin:

I rate all the songs on my iPod.
I delete anything that gets a 1 or 2.

I have a playlist for the 3, 4, and 5 star songs.

My 5 star song list has around 800 songs. So I just rock that on shuffle.
Anything might come up.
Iron Maiden
Aesop Rock
Woodie Guthrie
Wilhelm Scream
Ben Folds

Its awesome, and random, and I brew best that way.

Latest posts

Back