Homebrewing in NJ ILLEGAL w/o permit!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, regarding the permit: I ignored it for the last 3 years, but I'm in the process of trying to go pro and am harassing assemblypeople and senators about laws, so I thought it'd be good if I finally applied :)

I sent in my $15 and had my homebrewing certificate less than a week later.

-Joe

One time fee or annually?

Joe, I've lived all over but I originally come from New Dorp. I'm in Richmondtown now. Before I bought my house I was a perpetual apartment-changer... lol. I've also lived in Bloomingdale, Woodrow, Annadale, Dongan Hills, Eltingville and Bay Terrace. Wow... writing that out makes me look crazy!

My wife's family is off 280 where NJ starts to get real nice, and I have family even further out in Morris County. I laugh when people knock NJ, especially people from here. Even the Shore has some awesome towns that are not invested with guidos. I personally enjoy Avalon and Matawan.

They called it a package store or something. Wife is from Kearny, kinda right outside Newark. Kearny isn't bad but Newark is like Oakland. ;-)

Don't judge California on Oakland. Really the place is kindof a dump. It's where the OAKLAND RAIDERS got their reputation. Stay away from Stockton too.

Beer, Beer, Beer. Going to hooters for some beer and wings today.
Yeah, that's my point. You can't judge NJ solely from that area. I live in Morris County and love it.

Getting back to beer, I can't wait to go home and have a Belgian witbier homebrew on my deck. I'm in an un-airconditioned classroom and we're in the midst of a heatwave so it's going to taste exceptionally sweet.

Only 2 supermarkets per chain (Kings is one you are shopping at, yes?) can have a liquor licence to sell in the state of NJ.

Guess what, yes, there are high taxes, and all the politicians are criminals, but guess what, the turnpike corridor from exit 9 to 18 is a crap hole, but guess what thats not the whole state. go to central or southern New Jersey, and it is a beautiful state. Guess what california, Ive been to your state and guess what you have crappy parts too. And texas, and pennsylvania etc etc.

There are some things that need to be fixed, but please remove your heads from your rectums, have a homebrew, and get over "ewwwww NJ". There are some people that like it here, like me.

:rockin:
Really? There's a Kings and A&P within a mile and a half of each other in my town that both have large beer/liquor selections. Interesting.

Really? There's a Kings and A&P within a mile and a half of each other in my town that both have large beer/liquor selections. Interesting.

I guess the place next to the inlaws is a shop rite or something like that. Attached to the left side of it is a booze store. Father in law calls it a packy or something. Not up on the NJ slang.

Love2BrewCrew said:
The first love2brew location will be opening in central NJ in fall 2011. NJ is a nice place and about to be a lot nicer for homebrewers!

HBS? Bar? And where in central Jersey?

If you don't live here, stop your hating. :p
If you live here vote the slouch Democrats out. They just rejected helping the tax payers by caving into the unions.
Remember to vote in November.

Taxes in NJ $uck, but there's work here. Beats low taxes and no job!

In some ways, the taxes aren't as bad as they seem though. I pay about 1/3 in real estate tax compared to my inlaws for a similar sized house, but since we will soon have a kid in private school (almost a must here), I'd be better off in NJ where i could use the public schools in most places. Your sales taxes are better and the income tax seems only slightly higher (my wife works in Jersey so we pay both, sort of). I'd move to NJ in a heartbeat if I could. I particularly like the Old Bridge/Middletown-area. I have to live in NY though to keep my job.

The alcohol laws in NJ are weird though. Even the permits for commercial brewing are much more expensive and hard to get compared to NY. An on-site brewing permit for NY is only $300 a year. Makes it tempting to try to open a brewpubs when I retire.

. . . but since we will soon have a kid in private school (almost a must here), I'd be better off in NJ where i could use the public schools in most places.

An on-site brewing permit for NY is only $300 a year. Makes it tempting to try to open a brewpubs when I retire.
The schools are what kept us in Hunterdon County. Our son got into the Naval Academy and our daughter got some good scholarship money. A lot of credit has to go to being in a safe and productive school system through their high school years.

Not sure what keeps us here now except habit and being near grandkids. NY might be an option if going beyond being homebrewer. Don't think I could ever make a living at it, but after retirement . . .

The alcohol laws in NJ are weird though. Even the permits for commercial brewing are much more expensive and hard to get compared to NY. An on-site brewing permit for NY is only $300 a year.
My argument exactly, which is why I'm trying to help get that changed. The distilling laws are even worse - 50 times more expensive to distill spirits from grain here. No wonder we don't have any craft distilleries.

-Joe

HBS? Bar? And where in central Jersey?

Get back to this!

I am in Bedminster, and just about an hour from my choice of 3 HBS's. I would love to hear where love2brew plans on opening (and what exactly it is).

Joe

I'm sure NJ isn't the only state with archaic laws left over from the prohibition era that are basically ignored and not enforced anymore. Here in oregon last year the oregon liquor control commission decided to go by the books and enforce an old law that prohibited homebrew from being removed from the premises of where it was brewed. Because of this all of the homebrew competitions such as the one at the oregon state fair had to be cancelled. The homebrewers here in oregon lobbied the state senate which eventually drafted a law making it legal again to bring a homebrew to your friends house or a competition. It was passed unanimously In the state legislature and soon after signed into law by the governor. So NJ you are not alone in silly old laws related to homebrewing and if your state liquor control commission ever decides to enforce the law I'm sure you guys can come together and get it changed and will most likely be able to get the law overturned relatively quickly.

jfowler1 said:
Get back to this!

I am in Bedminster, and just about an hour from my choice of 3 HBS's. I would love to hear where love2brew plans on opening (and what exactly it is).

Joe

Hey there. Do you buy in bulk? Grains that is.

If you don't live here, stop your hating. :p
If you live here vote the slouch Democrats out. They just rejected helping the tax payers by caving into the unions.
Remember to vote in November.
Please, our tubby governor wants to dismantle one of the best public school systems in the nation so he can privatize it and make millions for his corporate buddies. Your taxes won't go down a bit....Alright, I'm done with politics; Beer On!

No, not spam. I checked it out a bit.

He talked about setting up the store on a MMA forum a while ago, and already registered a TM.

A site is in the works, and he is up on twitter. This internet is a crazy place.

http://love2brew.com/

So Ron, you've got an audience and some local interest. Please keep us up to date on the plans.

Joe

Hey guys, sorry about the delay it's been a crazy week.

love2brew is myself (Ron) and my partner (Mark) and our take on a LHBS + Internet retailer. One thing we are doing differnetly is taking a unique approach to the website that no other homebrew shop is doing currently.

I can't get too into details just yet but the shop is looking like it will be located in central NJ; in the Edison, North/New/East/South Brunswick area, we're still finalizing our lease choices.

The shop will have some BOP options as well as a healthy selection and friendly/knowledge staff. We noticed a need from our experiences and will be covering beer/wine/cider. I'm way more involved in beer while Mark has been doing wine and cider for over 12 years.

It's really exciting to see some excitment generated about this; we've been so busy and excited with the project this is very refreshing. Will keep everyone updated as time goes by. We will also be a homebrewtalk.com vendor/supporter; we definitely have a business model built on giving back to the community.

-Ron
love2brew

Screw the permit. It's not enforced. And if it was, I would love for them to knock on my door. I would challenge it and help change the law.

Love2BrewCrew said:

love2brew is myself (Ron) and my partner (Mark) and our take on a LHBS + Internet retailer. One thing we are doing differnetly is taking a unique approach to the website that no other homebrew shop is doing currently.

I can't get too into details just yet but the shop is looking like it will be located in central NJ; in the Edison, North/New/East/South Brunswick area, we're still finalizing our lease choices.

The shop will have some BOP options as well as a healthy selection and friendly/knowledge staff. We noticed a need from our experiences and will be covering beer/wine/cider. I'm way more involved in beer while Mark has been doing wine and cider for over 12 years.

It's really exciting to see some excitment generated about this; we've been so busy and excited with the project this is very refreshing. Will keep everyone updated as time goes by. We will also be a homebrewtalk.com vendor/supporter; we definitely have a business model built on giving back to the community.

-Ron
love2brew

Great! ! Thanks for the details.
If the prices are fair, I'll be there often.

Screw the permit. It's not enforced. And if it was, I would love for them to knock on my door. I would challenge it and help change the law.

I know right, I bet NJ police officers aren't even aware a brewing permit is required.

Seriously, I have brewed outside and seen cops drive by. They really could not care less. The day they come over I will do as I always do when I get pulled over... feign ignorance.

I'll just talk to the officer about how I buy all my ingredients at the homebrew store around the corner, supporting local small businesses.

But I'm not paying $15 a year to the state to brew my own beer. Sorry. Of course I won't tell him this.

Hey there. Do you buy in bulk? Grains that is.

I wonder if we could do a mid-jersey group buy? I am in north plainfield. The $20 or so in gas and tolls to the other group buys kinda kills the good deal for me.

Also, having a new store open up around here would be awesome. If they are good, I bet there will be a lot of business. There seems to be quite a number of us in this general area.

This stupid state and their permits. As a homeowner, I don't think you can hook up a garden hose without a permit and inspection. It would be nice to see this one go away.

-Ron
love2brew

Heres a vote for South Brunswick!

Im excited to hear what you guys get done. See you when you open. :rockin::tank:

I'm sure NJ isn't the only state with archaic laws left over from the prohibition era that are basically ignored and not enforced anymore. Here in oregon last year the oregon liquor control commission decided to go by the books and enforce an old law that prohibited homebrew from being removed from the premises of where it was brewed. Because of this all of the homebrew competitions such as the one at the oregon state fair had to be cancelled. The homebrewers here in oregon lobbied the state senate which eventually drafted a law making it legal again to bring a homebrew to your friends house or a competition. It was passed unanimously In the state legislature and soon after signed into law by the governor. So NJ you are not alone in silly old laws related to homebrewing and if your state liquor control commission ever decides to enforce the law I'm sure you guys can come together and get it changed and will most likely be able to get the law overturned relatively quickly.

The language on the NJ homebrew permit makes entering contests illegal. Funny thing is, there are a handful of contests in Jersey.

And to the love2brew crew, looking forward to having a local HBS nearby! I'm voting for Edison, you've got the turnpike and the parkway there.

The language on the NJ homebrew permit makes entering contests illegal. Funny thing is, there are a handful of contests in Jersey.

And to the love2brew crew, looking forward to having a local HBS nearby! I'm voting for Edison, you've got the turnpike and the parkway there.

Good point.. and 287. All major highways and easy to get to. :rockin:

I moved to NJ from TX a year ago. I researched homebrewing laws before I moved. The permit thing is absurd for a lotta reasons. I don't bother with it, coz I brew in my apartment on the stove with heatsticks, so there's not really any avenue for a cop or other authority figure to see what I'm up to anyway.

I do gotta say, the most disappointing thing about northern new jersey isn't any of this stereotypical stuff(well, mostly), it's the lack of a quality LHBS. All I have is corrados, and that place is geared towards wine, plus the person I've interacted with there was kinda *****ey and unhelpful.

NJ is a major biomass of humanity, seems like the market would support a good LHBS... :confused:

I work in Passaic (I am close enough to Wallington to throw things at your house) and Corrado's really is not a home brew destination. I have been there twice, and don't see myself going back.

The shop at gaslight is supposed to be alright, but not good enough to warrent the drive through East Orange to get there.

And Brewers Apprentice is a nice enough shop, and I know a few HBT members work there, but the BOP aspect is such a big part of the business - it really eats a lot of man power. I did the BOP thing years ago, and they really service the hell out of those customers. For that reason, it wasn't a great experience when I went back a couple years later and had to stand in line for 20 minutes to buy a sack of 2 row.

I think NJ really needs a HBS more in the style of B3 or Northern Brewer. I'd love a place that caters to a more advanced crowd, from both an ingredient and technical advice standpoint. It would be nice if it also had an atmosphere that kind of encouraged you to hang out, chat, and sample some stuff.

Spending two hours in the car on a Saturday is reason enough for me to buy online and have what I need delivered to my door. If I had a local enough shop, that knew your name and encouraged you to stick around a bit, I would be completely willing to shy away from the on-line vendors.

For a state with such high density, I can not believe a place like I described does not yet exist.

Joe

while i do not condone the permit thing, i'd be cool to frame and put it above a bar lol

while i do not condone the permit thing, i'd be cool to frame and put it above a bar lol

If I moved to NJ, there is no way in the world I would get a permit. Once you've got one*, if the political winds blow that way, they can just tax the life right out of you, or decide to revoke it.....and then if they decide to come a' knockin', they know just where to find you. I don't think so.

*NB: This can be applied to ANY permit: brewing, kite flying, owning guns or CCW....there's food for thought in it.

Back