Homebrewing in Japan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TokyoBrew

Reaction score
If anyone else is in Japan, homebrewing or looking to get into homebrewing, I've created a blog in English with a bunch of useful links and information on where and how to buy things in Japan. There are a surprising number of suppliers and resources out there.

http://www.lostinfermentation.com

Brett

Good to see that someone out there is brewing. I thought there was some restriction on homemade stuff in japan having to be less than 1% ABV or something to that effect. I've given this a little thought since I could have to live there (well...oki) sooner or later.

COOL!!

Welcome Brett!!!

You may not have noticed, but if you scroll down to the bottom of this page there's a section called "Similar threads"...There's e by people in Japan.. you may wanna see who else is over there and private message them with the link to your blog..

Also I noticed you are using a corona style mill....

I've got a thread with some tips for using them...like motorizing them and stuff, you might find interesting.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/

Welcome!!

:mug:

I've been using these Sorachi Ace hops lately. I can't find too much info over here on them. They're the only Asian hop that I know of. Do you know of this type?

Green Tea is mine. The only time I would drink Japanese beer is at a bar downtown or if the shops on base were closed, and I had to head off base for beer.

To each his own though. If you like it, you don't have to worry about me buying out the stores. :D

Oh, I did like Kirin Green Label. That stuff was decent, low cal, and low carb. I don't think you can get that in the US though.

Oh hell yeah. Welcome. There are a few of us around. There is at least one more not on this forum who brews almost every other week in his apartment in Tokyo.

That blog of yours is an awesome resource. I am in awe. Thank you.

I thought there was some restriction on homemade stuff in japan having to be less than 1% ABV or something to that effect.

Yep, technically illegal unless its under 1%, but practically its not at all enforced - provided you're not selling it outside the local high school or something. Suppliers still carry the warning on the websites nonetheless, but even a fairly mainstream department/hobby store called Tokyu Hands is selling kits on the shelf.

I've been using these Sorachi Ace hops lately. I can't find too much info over here on them. They're the only Asian hop that I know of. Do you know of this type?

Nothing available in the Asian line here unfortunately, seems almost everything is imported from the US, UK and Australia, and the range is very limited to the 10 or so most common varieties. I saw a site some time ago for a Singapore supplier that seemed to have a better range.

Oh hell yeah. Welcome. There are a few of us around. There is at least one more not on this forum who brews almost every other week in his apartment in Tokyo.

That blog of yours is an awesome resource. I am in awe. Thank you.

Cheers! That's great to hear. I hear there are a few Japanese brew clubs around, but I'd love to get an English/Japanese speaking club together one day if there are enough folks here brewing.

Latest posts

Back