Homebrew Vertical Tasting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ariza-Poet

Reaction score
has anyone done verticals with some of their big ABV home brews
like Imperial stouts, barleywines, quads etc?

Verticals are some of the funnest drinking events for me.
I've done commercial verticals
like parabola, bourbon county, BA old raspy, Double DBA
and a few others.

Just wondering how different a vertical of your homebrew might be

a vertical tasting is several years
as in 2012,2013, 2014 & 2015 versions of the same beer
to see how its developed over time.

Last edited:
Had to look up what vertical tasting was. I've done a vertical tasting of DFH 120min, I got a bottle of the 2013 batch and the 2015 batch. DFH says the beer ages well but I thought the 2015 was so much better than the 2013. I was not a fan of the aged/oxidized flavors that came through in the 2013. The color was also a bit darker due to oxidation.

Haven't tried it with homebrew mainly because I have never brewed the same recipe twice! I have however tried some of my very first homebrews which are now over a year and a half old and they actually taste better than when they were fresh.

Ah, I just looked up a vertical tasting, but I'll leave my previous comment. I've never been to a home brew club meeting, but it would be pretty cool to do a tasting of the same beer but brewed using different systems.

Had to look up what vertical tasting was. I've done a vertical tasting of DFH 120min, I got a bottle of the 2013 batch and the 2015 batch. DFH says the beer ages well but I thought the 2015 was so much better than the 2013. I was not a fan of the aged/oxidized flavors that came through in the 2013. The color was also a bit darker due to oxidation.

Haven't tried it with homebrew mainly because I have never brewed the same recipe twice! I have however tried some of my very first homebrews which are now over a year and a half old and they actually taste better than when they were fresh.

I didn't think about that or take into consideration
that with home brewing there's prob quite a bit of variety in each batch

Like a keg stand? Well you could tone down the carbonation a bit to make it a little more palatable, or does the extra pressure "make you drunk quicker?"

not the type of vertical I was going for but I like your thinking sir :rockin:

I edited the original post explaining what a vertical is.

Ah, I just looked up a vertical tasting, but I'll leave my previous comment. I've never been to a home brew club meeting, but it would be pretty cool to do a tasting of the same beer but brewed using different systems.

It's okay, I thought it was a classy way of describing a beer bong :drunk:

I started my vertical tasting stash 2 years ago. I missed brewing the same beer again last year so I'll have a 1 year gap in my tasting. It's sort of difficult for me to be organized enough to keep brewing the same beer around the same time each year. I'm trying though!
I have a bourbon oaked American strong ale and a bourbon oaked oatmeal molasses stout that I'm trying to get the linage for to do a vertical tasting. We'll see in a few more years where I'm at!....

Back