Homebrew Talk 3D Print Thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this thread. Very inspirational and reminds me that there are so many uses in our hobby for custom items. Here is a Carb-cap wrench I made. Super-simple, but I was having trouble unscrewing these things by hand.

edit: I have been printing for 4 years, Ender 2 v2, Openscad, Cura.
Bravo! I needed a wrench for a 1/2 gallon U-keg… I had to resort to asking a body builder for help to release the cap!

Yeah, it's just the price jump thats getting me. Especially for a complete beginner.
Buy once, cry once.

There's nothing wrong with the others for their price point. What you are paying for is a printer that doesn't require you to know everything about printers. The Prusa will however, not shield you from everything, allowing you to learn at your pace. You *can* tinker, you just don't *have* to.

Buy once, cry once.

There's nothing wrong with the others for their price point. What you are paying for is a printer that doesn't require you to know everything about printers. The Prusa will however, not shield you from everything, allowing you to learn at your pace. You *can* tinker, you just don't *have* to.

Well put. I think the peace of mind and knowing that it's going to work is worth a premium. Plus, having tech support/development and warranty as well. I think it's only a matter of when I buy this thing now.

Yeah, it's just the price jump thats getting me. Especially for a complete beginner.

Honestly, being a complete beginner is the best reason to go Prusa. Most of the upgrades that Prusa provides are directed at being able to consistently get quality prints. Cheaper designs don't incorporate things like the extruded aluminum bars that stiffen the X and Y axes, resulting in the need to spend additional hours calibrating in order to get workable prints.

Given enough time and energy you can absolutely calibrate lower end printers and get prints that are of a quality matching Prusa's -- but it will take effort.

Honestly, being a complete beginner is the best reason to go Prusa. Most of the upgrades that Prusa provides are directed at being able to consistently get quality prints. Cheaper designs don't incorporate things like the extruded aluminum bars that stiffen the X and Y axes, resulting in the need to spend additional hours calibrating in order to get workable prints.

Given enough time and energy you can absolutely calibrate lower end printers and get prints that are of a quality matching Prusa's -- but it will take effort.

Yeah, as I get older I've started to value my free time much more and having a unit that just works is worth a little extra dough. I've made some brewing purchase mistakes over the last decade and I've learned. Ooh have I learned.

That being said, I'm probably going to post a pic of that cute little boat printed by a Prusa in the up coming months.

Thanks for the push and reassurances, but I knew I was doomed even asking you all...😉

I agree.
someone who doesn't have any back ground with electronics or automated machines should probably buy a more well known brand simply for the support.
but once you can swap parts, calibrate e-steps and understand how it works you can buy a much cheaper printer and get the same results as the expensive one.
most are built off the same opensource designs.

i don't have prusia's i've bought a few Anycubics.
the Chiron and the vyper.
not exactly cheap machines but my primary support was FaceBook groups because anycubics support is hit and miss.
but now i'm pretty good and can make a cheapie print well with a few upgrades.

Okay peeps. So I just pre-ordered the Prusa XL...

No, unfortunately not actually. On a serious note. What do you recommend, if anything, to order with the Prusa? Not trying to pay shipping twice...

I'm going to do a textured print surface, and probably a roll of the PETG. Any other recommendations? Should I get another nozzle?

How does their filament compare to others?

Does anyone else find it annoying that he puts "Prusa" on everything?

Nah, if I were smart enough to have done that, my name would be embedded in the print bed. :)

Get a roll each of the black and orange Prusament. At some point you will want to add on or replace parts and their orange especially is hard to match. Maybe get both print sheets so you don’t wish you got the other one. That’s about all I can think of.

Their filament is very good, but there are other food filaments out there. I like the Microcenter filament if you have one near you.

Attachments

• 9350A35E-0CFE-4F3C-8842-E16355BA6ECF.jpeg
    9350A35E-0CFE-4F3C-8842-E16355BA6ECF.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 4F60AE19-78D4-429B-83A7-073776DFDB6B.jpeg
    4F60AE19-78D4-429B-83A7-073776DFDB6B.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 25FCF6EA-F7A0-465F-B0A3-205AACEC9BD5.jpeg
    25FCF6EA-F7A0-465F-B0A3-205AACEC9BD5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 240AE9DF-39C0-45EA-A513-417069D18250.jpeg
    240AE9DF-39C0-45EA-A513-417069D18250.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I printed an adapter for my wort chiller to fit to my sink faucet. Printed in ASA and then vapor smoothed with acetone. Works pretty well so far.

Attachments

• 3dprintedhomebrewadapter.jpeg
    3dprintedhomebrewadapter.jpeg
    407.3 KB · Views: 0
I printed an adapter for my wort chiller to fit to my sink faucet. Printed in ASA and then vapor smoothed with acetone. Works pretty well so far.
Nice... .stl? There are some great parts that can be sued on this side of things.. Any idea on the pressure it can hold? my water runs pretty high, then I am constricting at the chiller level.

Toss a bigger nozzle into the equation! I just added a 0.6mm to my nozzle and for some prints it has cut the time down to 1/3!
A guy I know makes his own mating nucs (beekeeping) and he went to those big nozzles to make it a do-able thing. It’s WAY faster.

My brother printed this for me and my daughter painted it.

Please get out of my Van Halen t-shirt before you jinx the band and they break up!

Looks great! I always go to great lengths to make color prints and ignore the obvious solution: paint!

Seeing that thing run is the coolest thing ever. Really enjoyed the build and I was so excited to start it up that I forgot to finish those gummy bears, lol.

Does anyone have opinions on cameras for octopi? Can't really find anything on what is best

Does anyone have opinions on cameras for octopi? Can't really find anything on what is best
The Logitech cameras are nice, that's what I use. The C270 is more than good enough.

Then, of course, you have to print an articulating arm to mount it. ;)

ETA: The C310 is rated well also.

The Logitech cameras are nice, that's what I use. The C270 is more than good enough.

Then, of course, you have to print an articulating arm to mount it. ;)

ETA: The C310 is rated well also.

Cool. Thanks. Does it do okay in dim lighting situations?

Ah yes, I've been sifting through all the printable upgrades and its pretty amazing. Settled on this rpi case: Printables unless anyone has good experience with another

I made this holder for K-cup filters sold on Amazon so I could degas samples for testing in my EasyDens. Its basically a miniature pour-over coffee filter.

Attachments

• 20220808_005427870_iOS.jpg
    20220808_005427870_iOS.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 0
Another project. I recently picked up the Spike Steam Condenser lid and needed a new way to mount my kettle filler. I ended up heavily modifying a cable gland I downloaded from Thingiverse to beef up the locking fingers inside for repeated use, changed the base to a tri-clamp, and changed the locking nut into a hand wheel.

The filler itself I made some time back. It is quite simple. The 1/2" tube is just for mounting. The lower piece of silicone tubing provides the mechanical connection to the float. It hides a 1/4 push lock union inside. The upper piece of silicone is just a stop calibrated to fill my kettle to a standard volume most of my batches use. I may ditch that and add some calibration marks to the 1/2 tubing for different volumes. For use, I just connect a line from my RO system to the piece of 1/4 tubing sticking out the top.

Attachments

• 20220908_181449527_iOS.jpg
    20220908_181449527_iOS.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220908_181529216_iOS.jpg
    20220908_181529216_iOS.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220908_181538059_iOS.jpg
    20220908_181538059_iOS.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 0
View attachment 780111

Just going to leave this here...

Happy to (finally) join this group of misfits
I got the Prusa last week as well. Took a few prints to get it dialed but I am now ready to make a few things for the wood shop and the brewery.
20220927_091019.jpg
20220925_132126.jpg

Tap handles! Have base units for each tap, but they have a slot for inserts that I can customize for the recipes and zip out in a couple hours before it goes on tap. Black on the base, marble white and blue on the inserts. Beats a chalkboard!

Attachments

• A3490D25-DA55-411B-9B85-B457257C548B.jpeg
    A3490D25-DA55-411B-9B85-B457257C548B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 359C2D74-3232-4D61-BBBD-4979E4FF93A1.jpeg
    359C2D74-3232-4D61-BBBD-4979E4FF93A1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Back