Homebrew Supply Websites

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryser2k

Reaction score
=========================================
Mod Edit: Please note: You can and should add your information HERE
=========================================

I thought we could put together a list of the homebrew supply websites, their locations, and a quick blurb about what each offers. I know this would be handy for me because I don't have a local homebrew supply shop that I can visit. I'll edit this top post as everyone replies so we can have a complete list in one place.

I'm listing all the sites that I know, but I haven't used any of them except AHS, so if you have experience with them feel free to write a little blurb about them.

Online Homebrew Suppliers
Annapolis Homebrew Supply
Annapolis, MD

Austin Homebrew Supply
Austin, TX
Large selection of recipe kits available in extract, mini-mash, and all-grain versions, including many commercial clone kits. Equipment and ingredients also available. Flat $7.99 shipping.

Beer-Wine.com
Woburn, Massachusetts
I used Beer-Wine.com this week and was very happy with the service and speed of the delivery. I put in a order for some liquid malt extract to test them out and 2 hours after I put in my order online I received a email that it had been shipped, received it on thursday. All this was with the cheapest shipping option. ~ crum

DeFalco's Home Wine & Beer Supply
Houston, TX

Freshops
Philomath, OR
"Purveyor of fine hops, hop oil, and hop rhizomes"

Homebrew Adventures
Charlotte, NC

Homebrewer's Outpost
Flagstaff, AZ

HopTech
Dublin, CA
Hop supplier recommended by HomeBrewTalk users

Michigan Brewing Company
Webbersville, MI

MoreBeer
Concord, CA
Free shipping for orders $59 and over

"Morebeer impresses me a lot. I kind of think of them as the kings of homebrew supply. They have everything from kits to a complete commercial brewery. What I like best about 'em is their catalog. It's got great explainations of every aspect of brewing, in "concise detail". Call them up...they are very helpful on the phone, and the guys working there are dedicated brewers themselves. Can't say enough good things about them...if nothing else, get the catalog. Highly recommended." ~ rightwingnut

I just wanted to add that morebeer ships for free. It's unbelievable. It makes mail ordering bulk ingredients online cost-effective. I ordered 300+ pounds of grain from them a couple weeks ago and they shipped it all via UPS for free. Add to that that they have just about everything you could possibly want. You can basically build a small commercial brewery out of their catalog and the bar from which to serve your beer, too. They are the best of the best, IMO. ~ Janx

Midwest Supplies
Minneapolis, MN

Northern Brewer
St. Paul, MN

Williams Brewing Supply
San Leandro, CA
Homebrew, Wine, & Coffee

I just read today that a homebrew supply shop opened in Bethlehem, PA, in the same building as the Bethlehem Brew Works! I'm excited, I'll be making the trip this weekend.

Yeah, I know I've seen lists of supply shops all over the web, but I thought we could get a list of the HomeBrewTalk recommended shops... Keep the suggestions coming... testimonials, suggestions, etc are all welcome...

Morebeer impresses me a lot. I kind of think of them as the kings of homebrew supply. They have everything from kits to a complete commercial brewery. What I like best about 'em is their catalog. (I feel like a kid in Toys R Us looking through it.) It's got great explainations of every aspect of brewing, in "concise detail". I actually emailed them to praise them on their catalog (I had a few beers under my belt, but I was sincere.) Call them up...they are very helpful on the phone, and the guys working there are dedicated brewers themselves. Can't say enough good things about them...if nothing else, get the catalog. Highly reccomended.

I used Beer-Wine.com this week and was very happy with the service and speed of the delivery.
I put in a order for some liquid malt extract to test them out and 2 hours after I put in my order online I received a email that it had been shipped, received it on thursday. All this was with the cheapest shipping option.

I just wanted to add that morebeer ships for free. It's unbelievable. It makes mail ordering bulk ingredients online cost-effective. I ordered 300+ pounds of grain from them a couple weeks ago and they shipped it all via UPS for free. Add to that that they have just about everything you could possibly want. You can basically build a small commercial brewery out of their catalog and the bar from which to serve your beer, too. They are the best of the best, IMO.

ryser2k said:
That's cool, but I'm really looking for sites which let you order online... for those of us who don't have the benefits of a local HBS...

Oh, but you can! I admit, it isn't a whiz-bang slick site, but it is secure. And I like the fact that there is a real, 'easy-to-spot-on-the-webpage' phone number to call with questions. Plus, their Two Brothers brewery is right there in the same location, so you know you are speaking with someone who knows what they are talking about. I'm sorry to go on about them, but I just really like this shop and I like the Ebel brothers beers. :D And I can personally vouch for their Classic Pale Ale and Porter kits - they were my first two brews! :cool: No affilation, yadda, yadda...

Anyhoo, here's their online catalog!

I just wanted to recommend Austin Home Brew. That is where I buy all my home brewing equipment and ingredients at. Great staff, location and usually have exactly what I want.

I like Homebrew Adventures in Charlotte NC. Excellent service, and are more than willing to help.
www.homebrew.com
And they have a forum there too, but also a weekly Sunday chat, usually with guests. Some of the guests have been, Greg Noonan, Ray Daniels, Randy Mosher, Dr White from White Labs, just to name a few.

Found this one while 'buzzing' around the web...

Michigan Brewing

The thing I really loved about this page... me and a buddy both had two batches (four different recipies) that we were ordering supplies for. This site had EVERYTHING we needed. What a relief not having to order from two or three different places. The prices are very competitive (beating many other on line stores I have seen) but they do charge shipping. I will pay for the convenience of one stop shopping any day. They do not tell you the shipping charges up front and this worried me a bit so before ordering, I gave them a call. They charge only what UPS charges them plus ONE dollar :cool: Another thing that really impressed me... the guy had a question about a yeast substitution since they were out of one. He called me to confirm this substitution and said he would have the shipment out that day. This was 15 mins after I placed my on line order :D

I do admit, I have not bought much over the internet and certainly have not been shopping for those 'bulk' discounts but this place did impress me enough to merit a post here;)

Home Brew Shop

This is my nearest HB store. I haven't used the online facility, but have visited their shop. Its a small shop, but seems to have a comprehensive supply of stuff for beer wine cider and stuff.

As a brewing newbie the staff seemed knowlegable and helpful.

I might give their online service a go at some point. I'll let you know how I get on if i do.

I just found this place today - Perfect Brewing in Wheeling , Illinois. They have a nice site; it looks like they've only been in business for a few months. I have yet to visit or buy from this place.

For grain purchases, our club here in Knoxville has been using North Country Malt (www.northcountrymalt.com). They have excellent quality malt from several different companies and their prices are great when ordering full sacks (55 lbs). Our club has organized bulk buys and saved big time on shipping.

They also have a very good pellet hop selection. Buying hops by the pound is a great bargain from these guys. The quality of the hops is very good. They do not sell whole hops.

This is a great outfit and they have really been good to our club. Orgainizing a big buy through your own club can save a lot of money.

My experiences with William's brewing and with Midwest brewing have been good. Midwest definitely has better prices on large quantities of grain. I'll have to check out some of the others mentioned though. Free shipping? That would rock!

My hat is off to Morebeer. After reading many posts about www.Morebeer.com I started using them to order supplies. I received my latest order yesterday and found that the sanitizer injector had a broken part on it causing the liquid to drain out. I emailed Morebeer about the problem and I got an email this morning saying a whole new one was already in the mail. WOW - you can't beat that service. Thanks Janx for the suggestion to use them! :p :p

If you live in the southeast try http://www.sunsetsuds.com/. They're in Florida and provide very personalized service. Prices are very good and they only charge the actual shipping cost. If you are a frequent customer you can earn discounts every time you buy.

Bunz

ryser2k said:
I have been using Austin Homebrew kits since my 2nd batch, they are very good. They are still my choice for supplies...

Thanks for the info..I think I'm going to give them a try next batch...

I just used Austin Brew Supplies: The shippment came within five days as promised and the kits I brew where great...So far so good, hopefully they will taste good as well.

My fellow brewers, I have been brewing for 14 years and have lived all over the place and have been shopping all over too. I have been in or bought from almost every one of the shops listed and then some. I buy in bulk to save money i.e. headpacks of extract and hops by the pound. A couple that are missing are:

St Patricks in Austin Tx. www.stpats.com Unfortunatly they have quit carrying ingredients and sell equipment only now.

The Grape and Grainery in Akron Ohio www.thegrape.net

The Market Basket in Delafield? Wisconsin is great for their hop samplers I think they go by Brew City supplies on the net though.

I have been in Austin Homebrew Supply. They have good extract, fresh hops and they carry Wyeast and White Labs. Plus the staff knows brewing.

I have been in the Brewer's Coop too. It's always nice to sample what they are brewing while looking for supplies.

In Hawaii I got stuff at Honolulu Homebrew. No on-line ordering but you wouldn't want to, the shipping cost is prohibitive. Gerrald and Gail are great people. If it weren't for them I would have been without supplies for 3 years.

I do alot of business with More Beer. Free shipping.

For those of you who are just getting started. Once you get a good understanding of how things work. Stop buying kits and buy your ingredients in larger quantities. I have all of my recipes converted to use only pale extract and what ever specialty grains needed to make the style. Then I buy a 25 lb bucket of extact from More Beer which is only $2 a pound. So I can brew several batches before I need to reorder.

just a side note: St. Patricks of Texas in Austin doesn't sell home beer and wine equipment any more. only commercial size equipment. they still have a few scraggling items on clearance but not much. i just bought my three temp gauges for my all grain system for $10 each from them. you can check their web page, but not much left. St. Pat's did leave the homebrew info page on their web site with some good tips and FAQ's.

I've used http://www.homebrewersupply.com

Everything is well packaged and they're great to deal with. I wish it would come faster, but the products seem A+

I might try beer-wine.com since they're in the same state. http://www.homebrewersupply.com send the extracts in a milk jug and it seems less commercial compared to the cans...but i don't have any experience besides the two orders from homebrewersupply.com

Since I'm close to Cincinnati, I found Listermann's, which is close to downtown, and have been pleased with both their kits and service. They also have free shipping east of the Mississippi. Good folks and good service.

http://www.listermann.com/

I've ordered from www.morebeer.com and from www.austinhomebrew.com and my order came from Austin Home Brew much quicker. I am located in MS, so it was closer for me. I placed my order on a Tuesday with More Beer and they didn't ship my items until Friday. I finally got my items on Friday of the next week. 11 days from order to arrival.

With Austin Home Brew I placed my order on Monday, my stuff was shipped on Tuesday and arrived Thursday. 4 days from order to arrival. Both retailers using UPS Ground.

I would say you are better off using a HBS closer to your region.

Another thing, I ordered from More Beer and bought their Beginner Kit deluxe. While I got a priming bucket they didn't send a lid. I had intended on using it as my primary. I called and asked them if there was a mistake, but they said they don't recommend fermenting in plastic. So my first batch had to be a single stage. I ended up buying a lid and airlock from Austin Home Brew.

bummer joutlaw. kinda shitty deal from more beer? i've never used them, but have always heard good things about them. i buy local when i can, but have used Austin Homebrew before, with good results. no local shops that you can visit?

better luck on the brew!

I had heard good things about More Beer too, and the free shipping was the selling point when I ordered my kit. My soon to be father-in-law recommended them to me because he had just done their Best Bitter recipe.

He also recommended DeFalco's since he has a neighbor that visits TX regularly and can stop by and pick up our orders.

As far as I know we don't have any HBS in MS. I am in Jackson and have never seen one in our area.

Another reason I am really liking Austin Home Brew is because of their "Our Version" recipes. I recently got the Sunshine Wheat and New Castle recipes and will be giving them a try next weekend. :D

Back