Homebrew Supply Websites

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi We just opened mashingheads.com in London, Ontario! We offer starter kits, beer kits, a full line of Weyermann malts for less than $1.99/lb and 2008 harvest hops in vacuum sealed bags for $1.99 an ounce. Drop by and sign up and you can get a free t-shirt! We offer flat rate shipping throughout Canada and free delivery within London, Ontario.

By the way, we opened this store because we were frustrated at how expensive a batch of beer costs!

Sorry, we're not shipping to the US yet. If there's enough interest, we definitely will.

I used them as well... There was a server issue on Saturday when I placed my order, so I emailed them. Bright and early I got a response email from the owner apologizing explaining that their server was down over the weekend. He said my order would be shipped immediately, and that I would get a confirmation and tracking number shortly. Within a half hour, I had my confirmation number, and the NEXT day my order was at my door step.

(For what it is worth, I ordered the SUPER DELUXE Beer starter kit, with two 6.5 gallon buckets, a 5 gallon glass carboy, 2 cases of bottles, a Brew Master's Best kit, a 4 gallon Stainless Steel pot, amongst other things...)

Awesome service, and I highly recommend them!!!

Anybody use these guys lately? There prices on Hops are awesome, almost too good to be true

I would definitely call them first before I ordered. Those prices are below wholesale. Either that site hasn't been updated forever as those are like 3-4 year ago prices, they are really really old hops or they are the buy of the year. Either that or the industry has bamboozled us the past couple years.

I would definitely call them first before I ordered. Those prices are below wholesale. Either that site hasn't been updated forever as those are like 3-4 year ago prices, they are really really old hops or they are the buy of the year. Either that or the industry has bamboozled us the past couple years.

I just went to that site to play around. It appears to be a dead site. You can click through the pages but if you try to add anything to the cart to buy, nothing will load and you get an error page. It appears they used a Yahoo store for eCommerce. I bet they took down the Yahoo store but their static pages are still around for some reason.

I just went to that site to play around. It appears to be a dead site. You can click through the pages but if you try to add anything to the cart to buy, nothing will load and you get an error page. It appears they used a Yahoo store for eCommerce. I bet they took down the Yahoo store but their static pages are still around for some reason.

Cool, thanks for checking it out. Like they say, if it seems to good to be true it probably is. $8/lb, yeah right.:mug:

Just checked a couple of these on-line suppliers for the first time.
Unless I'm missing something, I really don't get it.

Seems that they charge something like 1.50 to 2.00+ for a pound of grain?
I have 2 locals suppliers who charge maybe 1.25 to, say, 1.75 depending on the grain.
Hops also are priced at least as expensive as what I can get locally.
Plus buying at my LHBS(s) I don't have to wait, don't have to pay for shipping, and can physically see what I'm buying????

Not doubting the value of on-line suppliers, but just gotta say that I must be missing something or I'm in the best brewing area on the planet (Portland, OR).
Anybody care to set me straight?

I found wort chillers on sale at homebrewery.com. 3/8", 25' copper IC for $39.95. Bought one and it works great. Cooled 3 and a half gallons from boiling to 69 degrees in about 7 minutes. We have really cold tap water here. (From a well.) Not a bad price.

Just checked a couple of these on-line suppliers for the first time.
Unless I'm missing something, I really don't get it.

Seems that they charge something like 1.50 to 2.00+ for a pound of grain?
I have 2 locals suppliers who charge maybe 1.25 to, say, 1.75 depending on the grain.
Hops also are priced at least as expensive as what I can get locally.
Plus buying at my LHBS(s) I don't have to wait, don't have to pay for shipping, and can physically see what I'm buying????

Not doubting the value of on-line suppliers, but just gotta say that I must be missing something or I'm in the best brewing area on the planet (Portland, OR).
Anybody care to set me straight?

Yes, you live in brewing heaven. Use the local suppliers. I have a couple shops here finally and I buy everything there. Yeah, some things cost more but I know what it costs to operate the stores as I was working to open one myself before these 2 popped up right before I was going to open.

Let me ask you this, Did the Internet site you looked at off free or reduced shipping? If you compare prices over all at those shops you will see their prices are higher. There is absolutely no such thing as free shipping. Even the reduced shipping rate places are more expensive. When I ordered on line I would open 4-5 browsers and built exact orders at each different store. It was very very rare that the free or reduced shipping places were less than the places you pay shipping at or really even be anywhere close. THose places absorb the shipping and packaging costs in their everyday prices. Many of those sellers pay even less wholesale due to volume wholesale purchases than the small local shops.

Now every now and then you will get a deal on something heavy but overall, it is cheaper to shop from a place with the best rate and just pay the shipping. BTW, many free shipping places have restrictions on heavy item that are not included in their shipping promotions. For example, you can't buy a back of grain for $32.00 with free shipping. You can buy the 50# of grain in one pound increments and pay $2.00 a pound though with free shipping. You just paid around $70.00 to get free shipping. Pay shipping on that sack of grain and pay around $30.00 for shipping. At least the last bag I ordered online thats what I paid for shipping.

You are truly lucky in the brewing world if you have a comprehensive local shop. Many don't have the luxury. Use and support that local shop. Even the big Internet retailers are local shops for their area. I have visited a few of them in store and found their in store prices were cheaper than their online prices. But if you have a LHBS use them unless they are just completely worthless. We have a couple of those here as well.

Yes, you live in brewing heaven. Use the local suppliers. I have a couple shops here finally and I buy everything there. Yeah, some things cost more but I know what it costs to operate the stores as I was working to open one myself before these 2 popped up right before I was going to open.

Let me ask you this, Did the Internet site you looked at off free or reduced shipping? If you compare prices over all at those shops you will see their prices are higher. There is absolutely no such thing as free shipping. Even the reduced shipping rate places are more expensive. When I ordered on line I would open 4-5 browsers and built exact orders at each different store. It was very very rare that the free or reduced shipping places were less than the places you pay shipping at or really even be anywhere close. THose places absorb the shipping and packaging costs in their everyday prices. Many of those sellers pay even less wholesale due to volume wholesale purchases than the small local shops.

Now every now and then you will get a deal on something heavy but overall, it is cheaper to shop from a place with the best rate and just pay the shipping. BTW, many free shipping places have restrictions on heavy item that are not included in their shipping promotions. For example, you can't buy a back of grain for $32.00 with free shipping. You can buy the 50# of grain in one pound increments and pay $2.00 a pound though with free shipping. You just paid around $70.00 to get free shipping. Pay shipping on that sack of grain and pay around $30.00 for shipping. At least the last bag I ordered online thats what I paid for shipping.

You are truly lucky in the brewing world if you have a comprehensive local shop. Many don't have the luxury. Use and support that local shop. Even the big Internet retailers are local shops for their area. I have visited a few of them in store and found their in store prices were cheaper than their online prices. But if you have a LHBS use them unless they are just completely worthless. We have a couple of those here as well.

All excellent info, thanks.

I really had no idea that Portland was THAT lucky with it's local suppliers. Sure we are a hub for microbrews, but didn't think this extended out to homebrews. Very cool now that I know this!

And the places I looked at had flat shipping rates of $6 to $7.... which I found very impressive considering some of those things like grains could weigh a ton. Interesting spin on how they recoup the costs though.

I will absolutely continue to support these local guys now that I know how honestly cheap they really are. Brew on!!!!!

Fellow Homebrewers,

I'm a vendor on here so I figured it'd be okay to post on this thread. On Niko's Homebrew Supply we're always adding hop varieties at lower prices than can be found elsewhere, we carry wort chillers and co2 tanks as well. For a flat $5 shipping you can order however much of any product we sell, and we work hard to keep our prices competitive and customers happy. We will be adding five and eleven pound price breaks on many hops within a day or two, and right now we offer per ounce and per pound pricing. One thing we really enjoy being able to offer is that if you'd like your hops packaged in as small as 2 ounce increments you can request this at your checkout as long as you're ordering via the per ounce prices, and we will vacuum seal your hops in the increment requested. We don't know of any other supplier who will do this. Our per pounce and per pound hops also ship in foodsaver bags so you're able to reseal them with any home vacuum sealer.

Thanks!

-Niko-

Just want to point out a seemingly great site for malted grains (huge variety) and over 40 types of hops.

grains vary from $1.30 - $1.60 per LB and the hops are sold by the pound as well works out to only $1.45 per ounce.

The Country Malt Group
(the for right tab for home brewers should get ya there)
:D

I do not think I have a post on this thread, so here it is.

My store features a wide vareity of grains (around 80 different types), and hops (47 types of hops). Along with all of the other equipment you might need.

We have flat rate shipping on orders. Does not matter if it is 1 pound or 320 pounds or even more the shipping is $6.99 for the order.

We have the only recipe creation application built into the store on the web. You can create a recipe and compare it to the BJCP style guidelines.

We have fast order turn around and great customer support.

I also am a supporter of HBT and an active member on the forums.

Thanks,

Ed

After years and years of wine making supplies and more recently for beer making supplies I have to say that the four online retailers that really stand out in my opinion are:

BrewMasters Warehouse (I love this place for beer supplies!!)
Austin Homebrew
Northern Brewer
Midwest Supplies

Just want to point out a seemingly great site for malted grains (huge variety) and over 40 types of hops.

grains vary from $1.30 - $1.60 per LB and the hops are sold by the pound as well works out to only $1.45 per ounce.

The Country Malt Group
(the for right tab for home brewers should get ya there)
:D

Have you ordered from there, and what was shipping like?

Not sure about shipping, but I'm going to drive down with some friends very soon to pick up a load of malt!!!

(The Didsbury, AB location of Canada Malting)

I have used and am extremely impressed with midwest supply. If I order carboys or something that has heavy shipping charges, I will go with morebeer, but for quality of ingrediants and speediness of delivery, midwest is really good. There base prices are quite cheap, I have found them to be cheaper than morebeer..if you are ordering brewing recipe kits, because there prices are much lower on kits. As far as bulk grains go, I think morebeer may be the way to go. 300# shipped for free.

What was your order for 300#? I would be interested to see if I would beat the price or come close. The free shipping is a deal but not if I save you more than $7.99 on the product.

Forrest
www.austinhomebrew.com

agreed with forrest. I want to know also

morebeer is pretty cheap on grains though forrest I must say. their grains range from 60 cents a lb (2row) to maybe 1.5 dollars a pound for specialty.

but again, it's all about the quality

More beer doesn't have free shipping on bulk grains. It is easy for them to have 60 cent grain if you are paying $30 a bag to ship it to you.

Are kits or basic ingredients cheaper? Or What is the cheapest way to make my WONDERFUL homebrews?

Brewbrothers.biz is new, and I have already made several in store purchases from them. Great guys, and super low grain and hop prices. Best shop in the Portland area that I've found, and they keep getting better. Grand opening this weekend too!

DMEmart also doesn't carry everything else you'll probably need for your brews like forester. if I just needed DME for starters I may do DMEmart, other than that if I ever need DME I just throw it onto an order from AHS..

BTW, forester I sent back my package today that I talked with I forget whom over email about switching my 2" shanks for the 4" (maybe SS if I'm feeling good that day)

DMEmart.com does not charge for shipping and there is no tax. $11.99 DME, period!

Austinhomebrew.com charges $7.99 shipping, raising the $11.97 DME to $19.96.

There is no better deal anywhere than DMEmart.com

You are comparing the wrong thing. DMEmart does not allow you to buy a single bag of DME at 11.99 so your comarison is not valid.

For example: http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=12264

$63.99 for 6 3 pound bags at AHS, The same amount is $71.94 at DME mart.

If you add $7.99 for shipping (no tax here either) and it is $71.98. The point is try buying any other supplies to make that beer and you will pay more. The $7.99 applies to everything you buy no matter how much.

That is why minutes after we posted these prices we had someone buy $200 worth of DME. He also purchased more items so his order was around $500 and he paid $7.99 shipping for the whole order.

Our price for this customer: 3 x 63.99 plus $7.99 = $199.96
DME marts price would be $215.82.

Now if that customer had just bought the dme at DMEmart and bought the rest of his supplies at another store thinking he was saving money he would be mistaken. DMEmart just has the shipping built in to the product and I don't.

We clearly have a better deal.

Forrest

Is it me, or are there a lot of guys with 2-3 lifetime posts saying, "I've used this place, they are great!". Classic undercover spammer post. Yeah, I won't be visiting your sites.

MOD EDIT: Post merged from another thread. Hopefully you find your answer above.

Im wondering what websites brewers are using. I want to look at my other options. Other than Northern Brewer and Midwest I haven't seen any other sites.

Can my fellow brewers help me out?

midwestsupplies.com was cheap and fast when I ordered my All-Grain Brewing kit from them.
kegconnections.com had great deal on kegging kits. Very cheap and fast too.

Latest posts

Back