Homebrew shops not supportive of Military

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got off the phone (from Afghanistan) with Morebeer and they informed me they do not offer their free shipping program for APO (my home is also at an APO in Germany) addresses.

Their shipping estimate came to about $80 plus the cost for basically one 5 gallon all grain batch ingredients with some extra since recipes call for example 1/4 pound but the item is sold in pound increments.

The salesman told me the reason shipping is so much more expensive since it has to go to another country. This is simply not true, but of course the salesman did not care.

http://www.stripes.com/news/some-retailers-inflate-costs-to-ship-to-apo-addresses-1.97267

This article quotes a postmaster for an APO who states these costs are inflated simply to take advantage of service members and that the USPS fee is to get a package to New York and from that point all shipping and handling costs are provided to service members free by the Department of Defense.

This is not just the one store. I have tried placing the exact same ingredient order at three other online homebrew suppliers and each time the shipping rate was ridiculously high.

We do what we do because we feel right doing it. We do not necessarily deserve anything special for what we do. However, we sure as hell do not deserve to be gouged while we are serving our country. We deserve what every other American is entitled to.

If you agree with this, please shoot a quick email to your favorite online homebrew retailer and tell them what you think.

If you don't I will try and calm down and see things from your side.

Slightly confused....does Germany not allow homebrewing shops....I really don't know.

I live on an Army base in Germany. There are a couple homebrew shops in Germany but selection is limited and cost is high.

I called from Afghanistan to place my order so it is there when I get home next month.

sergeantstogie said:
I live on an Army base in Germany. There are a couple homebrew shops in Germany but selection is limited and cost is high.

I called from Afghanistan to place my order so it is there when I get home next month.

Why not have it shipped to a relative or friend in the states, who can then repackage in a priority mail flat rate box?

Not free, but better than $80

Just had to make sure you weren't planning on brewing while deployed, ive seen some pretty dumb attempts at trying to get alcohol into Iraq.

I believe that it's due to Fedex and UPS not delivering to APO addresses that most companies cannot ship to an APO address.
"Does UPS ship to P.O. Boxes?
No. However, if a shipper should use a P.O. Box address, the recipient's telephone number must be included. A package addressed to a P.O. Box may experience delays, is not covered by any UPS Service Guarantee and will be charged an Address Correction fee. Army Post Office (APO) and Fleet Post Office (FPO) addresses are absolutely not accepted."
Fedex's was more difficult to locate but said the same thing from the snippets I could see. I didn't look at DHL's.

Due to that, it means that they have to send directly to the foreign location by normal international shipping. ($$$)

You would have to use the USPS in order to send to an APO address. (or PO or FPO etc). And while I can't say that it would be rare to use, it's just that companies, particularly when the customer base is located within a certain geographical location (or really, to any non APO address), can have a shipping contract that keeps costs down, especially when compared to shipping via USPS. (Also, according to comparison guides, these companies are used due to other non-cost items such as specialized pickup times, etc).

*edit* Actually... could you ask the sales person to see if it were possible to ship everything by USPS? I know they have the no alcohol rule, whereas Fedex/UPS can (for businesses etc.), but I don't know the details on shipping other components.

OP is correct. My business regularly ships packages to APO/FPO/DPO addresses, and the rates the USPS charges us are domestic rates.

I'm sad to hear that they don't understand that APO is domestic, and not international. I suggest calling and speaking to another sales person, or buying from a different supplier. This does not reflect well on MoreBeer.

That's true if you use the USPS that you can ship to an APO. Does your business pass the shipping charges to the customer, or does your business have a free shipping method? What is the largest package you are able to send through the USPS? (The USPS has a size limit on what they can ship, even with their large packages apparently, because a 2'x2'x3' box is too large for the USPS.)
Most places offer free, or low shipping charges due to contracts with the shipping companies though. Because the actual shipping cost comes down to something like a dollar a pound, so the free shipping charges is balanced out between people who purchase enough to make it worth it, and those who buy so little that the shipping costs more for the company than the product costs. (There were articles about free shipping and the cost to businesses sometime in December in regards to the holiday shipping).

Anyhow, because the free shipping is unavailable, you really have to blame the shipping companies. Otherwise the businesses would use USPS which include APO addresses and none of us would have free shipping.

After considering it. The best option is to find someone near the apo address and have them order the supplies, then drop it off at the APO address, if that were allowed, so that they dont' have to pay 20-50 bucks just to ship it through the USPS to the apo.

They're not purposefully slighting GI's. This comes up every now and then on here and has been explained. They have legitimate reasons why they can't or choose not to. It's not any anti gi bias. You're not the first who's had this challenge.

Even Mcmaster Carr, which isn't a homerbew supplier per-se has had the same sanctions. They won't even bother attempt to ship overseas.

Somehwere on here is there answer.

But one of our members is in Afghanastan at the embassy and he gets his supplies shipped in, you might want to talk to him, if I can recall who it is, I'll shoot him a pm.

I pmmed Brewerbob with the link to this thread. Evidently he is back in the states, but he should be able to suggest something. He was stationed in Libya. If you look at His threads you will see some of his challenges with getting stuff shipped to him while he was over seas.

Here's a good thread where he talks about getting his shipments rejected- Well shoot, I can't receive liquid extract

Bottom line, don't take it personal, and don't see it as any anti military bias, you'll find a lot of folks in the homebrewing community, including business owners are very supportive of you guys, but in many ways their hands are tied by all manner of issues having to do with your particular status. As you can see, AHS tried to make good after his shipment was turned back.

I have to say, I think the title of this thread is grossly exaggerated. This is nothing more than an uninformed employee at a homebrew shop. Morebeer did nothing to say they are not supportive of military. Perhaps if you call back and explain a bit more and request USPS shipping they will be happy to help you.

I am not at all saying this issue is your fault, just that most people don't know about such things. I work at a shipping facility and that's the only reason I know about this. Otherwise I was oblivious before.

Revvy,

Thank you for provinding something helpful.

The Man,

I don't think you actually read what I posted. It was for USPS. The link included quoted a USPS Postmaster. I think a Postmaster has a little more insight to the shipping practices of online retailers than someone who works in a shipping facility.

Just because places do not ship to APOs does not mean they don't support the military. It means they don't use the USPS.

I've spent my fair share of time with an APO. Limited shipping is what it is. I had many things shipped to friends and family, then repackaged and shipped via the USPS. Sometimes that is your only option.

I agree with the ship to a relative idea....if all else fails. Like others have said, they are definitely not singling you out here as a military member. Just keep on bugging morebeer, and if that doesn't work, try a different supplier.

Just had to make sure you weren't planning on brewing while deployed, ive seen some pretty dumb attempts at trying to get alcohol into Iraq.
heck you can get the alcohol from KBR and other contractors in Iraq you'll just wind up paying through your nose, and drink plenty of water so you don't fall out (not that i have done this ever :cross:) oh wait I ETS'ed so yes I did.

Another option is pick a home brew store LOCATED somewhere that will ship to you...I would be shocked to learn the UK has not 1 home brew shop...or try Australia...or Canada...

I can understand wanting to have US products/ingredients and to help our economy...it is sad that you can not do this, I agree. This just seems like a business policy not an "anti-military" policy to me.

I know people that have ordered Cuban cigars and absinthe that live in the USA. ;) Sometimes, to "Get in the bag" one must "think outside the box"...

Also, I thank you for your service and sacrifice for defending my freedom.

Gotta love that DD214 in hand...got my first one last September...going to get me next and final DD214 on valentines day next year....SFC BOOYYYAAA!!!

AZ_IPA said:
Isn't the title of this thread like saying xyx homebrew shop is racist because they won't ship to Canada!?!? :drunk:

Didn't know Canadians were a different race....

Having the dd214 in hand is nice, my final is coming in 37 days

When I was stationed in Japan I just searched till I found a HB shop that shipped to APO. Sucked but like others have said, it is what it is. Williamsbrewing.com will ship to apo/fpo via usps. Or, you can use services like http://www.shipitapo.com/ .

Thanks guys! Plenty of shops ship to APOs via USPS. The issue however, is that they charge above what it actually costs to ship. That was the point of the link included.

If you have it shipped to me I will ship it to you using the USPS. Not ideal for you, but I thank you for your service to our country.

It may also have to do with the fact that you have to fill out a customs form. Even though it is like a "domestic" package when it's leaving the US you still have to do this. Since it's a business shipping it they just can't mark "gift" as most of us do for contents. Dumb yes but hey it's the USPS, you can't expect too much from them.

jetmechG550 said:
It may also have to do with the fact that you have to fill out a customs form. Even though it is like a "domestic" package when it's leaving the US you still have to do this. Since it's a business shipping it they just can't mark "gift" as most of us do for contents. Dumb yes but hey it's the USPS, you can't expect too much from them.

I had a box of cubans shipped to Iraq from the uk marked "gentleman's pleasure products..." solicited some weird looks fr others until I opened it

I know of quite a few places that won't ship to FPO/APO under certain shipping categories because once they get to the state-side shipping location they aren't given tracking information and they can't guarantee the condition of the shipped item. Usually though they give you an alternate shipping option and have some notice on their website about not guaranteeing the item's condition. I understand why though, a friend of mine had a game stolen that was shipped out over Christmas and military shipping always steal or read magazines...or leave the package out on the tarmac...happened to me where a game I ordered had a melted case...

What's worse is the companies that are really strict and won't let you buy things from a foreign IP address. I had to call and confirm myself before ordering...and in different time zones that's a pain...

I own a Homebrew shop and ship to APO all the time atleast 4-6 times a month. Never had a issue. I can see places not giving FREE shipping it can be pricey. I ship USPS for the majority and charge the EXACT amount to my Customer and work with the customer to fit every inch of space in the box to make it Cost effective.

I live in Germany myself, have the APO address and was looking into the same thing but I have a LHBS that helps me out big time and only charges what USPS charges them. Great place and great couple that own it. The home brew shops over here that I have found are great when the euro is not so high and If you only want German grain (10 euro for a 3lb recipe). I use the guys at www.kettletokeg.com check them out and call if you get the chance or e-mail them, they will hook you up, ask for jesse.

Simply buy from Brouwland if you live in Germany. They carry a better selection than many homebrew shops and have decent prices.

I am too lazy to read through these pages, but I listen to the BN and hear ads for Hop Tech all the time. They used to give discounts to active military personnel, with a current APO address, so I am sure they would ship to an APO address.
http://www.hoptech.com/cart/

I'm confused on why you expected to get free shipping on this order. One click on the morebeer free shipping policy will quickly show you that it only applies to: "3. Ship your items to a physical address in 48 Contiguous U.S. States." The people of Hawaii and Alaska are used to dealing with this... It also shows that they are willing to ship usps to an apo, just pay for it...

LHBS are not large corporations and probably cant afford to send products over seas for free. Expecting free shipping will probably lead to more let downs in the future.

Back