homebrew lab equip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsanders

Reaction score
I am trying to put together a homebrew equip kit. So far it includes a refractometer, hydrometer, electronic pH meter, pen type thermometer, IR surface temp reader, timer, small scale for hops and salts. Am I missing anything?

Have you bought all this equipment already? Are you doing all grain. Some of it seems excessive. I have most of the equipment you have on the list and only need the scale, hydrometer, and pen temp gauge. The refractometer is nice though. A lot of the other stuff you mention is a waste of money, like IR thermometer and PH tester.

Have you bought all this equipment already? Are you doing all grain. Some of it seems excessive. I have most of the equipment you have on the list and only need the scale, hydrometer, and pen temp gauge. The refractometer is nice though. A lot of the other stuff you mention is a waste of money, like IR thermometer and PH tester.

I agree the IR and pH tester are a waste of money. What's the purpose of building this kit? For yourself or someone else? If this is your first time doing brewing or all grain, really just stick to the basics and get a good foundation before going into all the bells and whistles ya know? Just my 0.02

- ISM NRP

I agree on the IR thermometer. I strongly disagree on the pH meter if your doing all grain. Yes you can do all grain without a pH meter. Yes, you can make better beer by understanding and controlling the mash pH.

If the OP is putting together a top shelf homebrew lab, I'd include a microscope and hemocytometer and yeast ranching equipment.

One of the items I use the most is a small centrifuge to drop yeast/break out of fermentation samples to test on my digital refractometer. I also use my strip pipetter a ton too for pulling samples and measuring yeast to pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I am trying to put together a homebrew equip kit. So far it includes a refractometer, hydrometer, electronic pH meter, pen type thermometer, IR surface temp reader, timer, small scale for hops and salts. Am I missing anything?

It really depends on where you want to go with this. For basic brewing you need scale(s) for weighing grains hops and salts, graduated cylinder for measuring acids, a good thermometer, good hydrometers (skip the refractometer), a good pH meter (I can't believe that anyone would post that this is a waste of money!).

Kit for culturing/examining/storing/propagating yeast if you intend to do that.

Kits for analysis of water.

General lab gear: mixing cylinders, volumetric flasks, analytical balance, pipetter, water bath.

Fancier lab gear: centrifuge, spectrophotometer, shaker (table and/or wrist action), densitometer.

At the top of the page you are a home brewer. By the time you get to the bottom you are a reasonably well equipped craft brewery lab.

From what I have read a good pH meter is beyond my budget. The one I can afford and own is not very accurate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Home Brew mobile app

From what I have read a good pH meter is beyond my budget. The one I can afford and own is not very accurate.

I'm just getting into all-grain brewing, and I can't afford a decent pH meter either. I decided to use Bru'n Water for getting the pH where it needs to be. Without a meter, I'll never know if I've hit it right, but the first batch came out really good, so I'm satisfied so far.

I have a Hannah PH meter that once calibrated and stored in storage solution has not failed. It was les than $75. If you are going to get a water report and use Bru'n water, don't do it without the PH meter. Money well spent.

Back