Homebrew Groupon!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schmaffy

Reaction score
Just got an email for today's Groupon, which is for the website Beer and Wine Hobby. There are two choices of deal: $19.99 for $40 toward beer- and wine-making kits and ingredients, or $29.99 for $60 toward beer- and wine-making kits and ingredients. Prices seem to be reasonable, so I think I'm going to jump on this one.

Groupon website is here if anyone is interested:
http://www.groupon.com/deals/beer-wine-hobby-12

Beware. The Groupon cancels out their flat rate shipping, and their shipping costs will kill you. I bit on it a couple of weeks ago. When I found out how much the shipping was, I called Groupon and cancelled my order.

It's a good deal if you're a walk-in.

Beware. The Groupon cancels out their flat rate shipping, and their shipping costs will kill you. I bit on it a couple of weeks ago. When I found out how much the shipping was, I called Groupon and cancelled my order.

It's a good deal if you're a walk-in.

Can't use it for a walk in.

Here's the fine print:

Expires Apr 23rd, 2014. Limit 1 per person. Limit 1 per household/delivery address. Valid only for option purchased. Online only. Shipping not included. Standard shipping rates apply. Must be 21 or older to redeem. Not valid toward Blichmann items. Not valid for gift cards, barrels, fresh grapes, and juices. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services. See the rules that apply to all deals.

Can't use it for a walk in.

Here's the fine print:

Expires Apr 23rd, 2014. Limit 1 per person. Limit 1 per household/delivery address. Valid only for option purchased. Online only. Shipping not included. Standard shipping rates apply. Must be 21 or older to redeem. Not valid toward Blichmann items. Not valid for gift cards, barrels, fresh grapes, and juices. Merchant is solely responsible to purchasers for the care and quality of the advertised goods and services. See the rules that apply to all deals.

I saw that, but don't know if means you buy the Groupon online, and go into the store and say here's my Groupon, or if you have to use the Groupon online during the ordering process.

When I called them, it was either the flat rate shipping or the groupon, not both. (I don't remember seeing the "Standard shipping rates apply" clause when I first saw the offer a couple of weeks ago.)

When I checked their website, the flat rate shipping for 1 box was about $15. So if you buy the more expensive of the two options, you save about $15.

I bit on this and the shipping killed me. I got $60 worth of stuff for $50 shipped. I saved about $10 compared to my LHBS. If I would have realized the high shipping cost I would not have gone for this deal. Oh well, I ordered a few things I needed.

Yep, same for me. I bought two better bottles, essentially, and got a packet of dry yeast, two airlocks and two stoppers for free. All this really saved me was a trip to the store.

Ugh. After waiting for two whole weeks to hear back from this company (Beer & Wine Hobby in Woburn, MA), I get an email asking for even more money for shipping. I ordered 2 Better Bottles, a packet of dry yeast, two airlocks and two stoppers. They want to charge me $28 for shipping! For reference, I ordered almost this exact same order (2 better bottles, airlocks and stopper) PLUS a 3 lb. bag of DME and 5 bags of oak cubes from Northern Brewer. Northern Brewer charged me $10.81 to ship the order by UPS ground.

I know there are some economies of scale at play in the shipping cost difference, here, but these people at Beer & Wine Hobby are recouping the cost of their groupon through excessive shipping costs. I recommended the groupon to a friend of mine, and he was charged $18 to ship hops and nothing else.

Knowing the structure of the Groupon contracts, it doesn't surprise me that they are trying to recoup some of that difference. In the future, you might try contacting the company, reference that you saw the Groupon, and ask if they'll give you some other deal, independent of the Groupon. They will make money, and you'll save it, but it keeps Groupon out of everyones' pockets.

But don't blame Groupon for the BS shipping. Blame that company for sure. Their shipping prices are absurd.

Wow, I just looked up Groupon's fee, and it's 25%. So, the retailer only gets 25% of the price of merchandise on the typical "half-off" Groupon deals. I had no idea it was that bad. I'll keep that in mind on future Groupon deals.

The other thing I found out is that this company has used Groupon at least two times. So, they know what they're getting into. Also, their website shows a "flat rate" shipping option that gets negated when you use the groupon. It seems that the exorbitant shipping is part of the plan.

I got stung by the same thing last year. I had been on the fence about buying a pump but when they were offered a 15% off coupon on chugger pumps I jumped on it, expecting to get the free shipping on top of that. Of course, you pay full shipping when using coupons. In the end I ended up saving like $1 over the second best competitor's price but it is no fun feeling like you're having your chain yanked.

I got stung by the same thing last year. I had been on the fence about buying a pump but when they were offered a 15% off coupon on chugger pumps I jumped on it, expecting to get the free shipping on top of that. Of course, you pay full shipping when using coupons. In the end I ended up saving like $1 over the second best competitor's price but it is no fun feeling like you're having your chain yanked.
Agreed. I didn't get soaked but I feel like I got hit by a pick pocket. Soured my ever shopping at this place again so not sure it makes good business sense. Oh wells.

PHEW! Thank you all. I have been sitting on the Groupon email since I got it just debating on whether or not to use it. Glad I didn't and the email has been deleted!

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

I work down the street from this place. I bought the groupon, chose in store pickup at checkout, and got a great deal.

Back