• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

North Carolina Homebrew Gear Cleanout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorsbrew

Reaction score
I joined the brewing community and HBT a little over a year ago and have greatly enjoyed my time here. I've been a part of other niche communities (computer water cooling, gaming, computer building, woodworking, and other science and computer related areas etc) as I am a tinkerer/engineer at mind and I must say the homebrew community has definitely been the friendliest so I am upset I must leave but it is what is necessary (at least for now). With that being said I think I'll disclose a little of my story before getting onto the meat of the thread with all the goods.

Back in 2011 I had a sudden attack of a medical problem one morning. What I have (and what likely happened that morning) was a brain bleed called a Cavernous Hemangioma or Cavernoma. I had an MRI and found out that I have multiple of them. The symptoms were serious and debilitating for a very long time only slowly improving then getting worse and good in a cycle for awhile. Around 3 years ago it had got to a point that was relatively manageable and I could do around the house things, few small woodworking projects (no heavy lifting or too much noise). Then it was about a year, maybe slightly more ago that I decided (being the beer lover I am) to give homebrewing a go. I ordered the platinum brewing kit from midwest and a few other things and started brewing. Continued slowly building my equipment hoping to get into all-grain.

I was only a few months and a few batches of beer in before I was unfortunately hit with another brain bleed. After all these years this is what it took for the doctors to start taking action. I had radiation on the 2 inoperable Cavernomas and within the same month I had brain surgery to remove the one that the surgeon could operate on (this was about 8 months ago so I obviously have done nothing with brewing since). Well one of the side effects of the radiation (and on a positive note tells that it is working) is brain swelling awhile later. This swelling caused a Grand mal seizure less than 2 months ago and another grand mal a few weeks after that. Now they have me on anti-seizure meds as well as steroids for the swelling and I also take a host of other vitamins and supplements. The swelling as well as scar tissue from the surgery has caused eyesight problems as well as mental/thinking limitations (to put it mildly, won't go deep in). Though those should and are diminishing over time.

Between my symptoms, the meds, the mere physical work of brewing and honestly just the risk of the beer itself (I can't have blood thinners and beer is one, not too bad of one but not really worth the risk) I've reluctantly decided I need to give up brewing at least for the time being. And of course I could really use the money. With how friendly this community has been to me I thought I would give my story before departing and I am just that kind of person that I have to be real

Thank you to those that have read through and I am not hoping to overcharge based on this but just to get a fair price or perhaps somewhat close to what I paid for everything. Due to my aforementioned medical issues you'll need to bring some help for the larger items (namely the chest freezers). The one chest freezer is on the first floor but the larger and nicest one is on the second floor. I got it up there with 2 guys but a third could be helpful. I will post what I think is a fair price but of course we can talk (Prices I am basing off either things I've bought new minus a used value, or things I've purchased used, If you'd like to see a breakdown of how I got my prices just ask). I've put together a number of 'kits' to keep this somewhat simple and I'd like to keep those as kits. We can also try and 'kit' other pieces together. As for the kegging kit there are so many parts I'm going to keep that one as a kit for awhile as well but I'll consider piecing it out if it doesn't sell soon.

Was hoping to put a lot these kits and pictures inside clickable boxes but there's no HTML and BBCode doesn't seem to have that. Anyway here it is.
DIEhgMb.jpg

IMMERSION CHILLER KIT[/U][/B] $75
Immersion Chiller
Eco396 Pump with accessories
Silicone tubing
1/2" to 3/8" reducer
Including a couple garden hose to barb adapters in case you want to use that (think one was 3/8" the other 1/2")
5g Bucket

Alright with this one I made the mistake of going with the much more expensive 5/8" OD Type L copper not realizing just how difficult it was going to be to bend. However the kinks have not created any actual pin pricks of any sort and the flow doesn't seem that badly affected. Even with that terrible vinyl tubing I got from HD that's on there I can still get the water to flow out of the tube faster than my garden hose can fill the bucket. Though only when cold. When I run hot water through it it collapses the vinyl tubes so you'll just need to replace that with silicone tubing or perhaps garden hose. The vinyl tube is the main kink/slowdown so it should flow faster than you'd really even want with a smaller silicone tube. Otherwise it works just fine. PS: The pump also works great for cleaning my keg lines, cleaning bottles and more.
6R82pFw.jpg

xAruqWu.jpg

cxo8BeD.jpg

GfelniP.jpg

BREWERY ESSENTIALS GRAVITY TESTING KIT $10
Triple Scale Hydrometer
Test Jar
Beer Thief
Hydrometer Holder
GtLv3py.jpg

SMALL BATCH FERMENTER KIT $60
6x 2.5gallon Airtight containers I bought in order to use as small batch fermenters. These were $15 each.

Includes 6 Grommets for a blow off tube or airlock (either 5/16 or 3/8, fits the standard airlocks) (Have not drilled the holes for the grommets set so you could use it for grain storage as well)
oM2EFdP.jpg

2 Extra 6.5gallon Buckets $20
These are a bottling bucket without spigot and a fermentation bucket. They were what I originally received from midwest but had some minor scratches inside so I had them send me 2 more (which are what are in the platinum kit above)
MJcXf6q.jpg

25' Type L 5/8" Copper $40
This is leftover from the immersion chiller I built. About 25' left perfect for a counterflow chiller. This is not the cheaper type M 1/2" x 3/8" stuff most chillers use. This is the 5/8" x 1/2" Type L stuff that those $150 counterflow chillers use. If I was feeling better I'd probably buy the extra parts and put one together myself.
YCVxGTS.jpg

Powdered Brewery Wash $15
2lb 13oz
zHqgaNy.jpg

2 5 Gallon Food Grade Buckets with Gamma Seal Lids $30
Has been cleaned
ql3UQv8.jpg

BOTTLE RINSER (SULFITER) $15
PBUUnOv.jpg

20lb Co2 Tank $80
iMLKouV.jpg

5-7.5lb co2 Tank $50
With some co2 left in it (I'm not sure exactly of the size, based on the dimensions google says its larger than a 5lb but smaller than a 10lb)
ym02Mqr.jpg

Dual Gauge Regulator $75
lpzYPiv.jpg

Miscellaneous Bits Price: Pick'n'Choose And We'll Work It Out
-Beer Line Cleaner (BLC) only used a couple times so essentially full
-75-80' 3/16 beer line
-3 extra gas ball lock disconnects
-Liquid Check Valve (prevent beer backing up, i was using for soda carbonator)
-Metal Soda Carbonator
-Keg Dip Tube Scrubber/Cleaner
-2x 1/4" MFL Couplers
-2x 5/16" Swivel Nut Barbs
-2x 1/4" Swivel Nut Barbs
-Half dozen 1/4" swivel nut washers
-Half dozen regulator washers
-5 Hose clamps
-4 Air filters for kegs
-2 Plastic Faucets
-2 Liquid Ball Lock Disconnects
-30" walpaper bucket perfect size for sanitizing autosiphons and anything else
-1/2" High flow auto siphon
-Spring bottling filler
-Fermometer
-5 muslin hop bags
-2 5 gallon nylon bags from HD or lowes i use for straining hop debris (only used 1 but other is perfectly clean)
-2 pack BIAB bags says fits kettles up to 14" diameter never used
-Bottle cleaning drill attachment
FyhEUR7.jpg

Bottles, 118 12ouncers, 5 bombers $40
Not completely sure what these go for but I think this sounds reasonable. All have been washed and scrubbed in oxiclean with a drill powered bottle scrubber then rinsed. No labels.
wGkwczd.jpg

Homemade Bottle Drying Rack
$15
Fits 56 bottles including extra space for a handful of bombers at either end
wGkwczd.jpg

Back