Homebrew For Heroes fund raising

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huaco

Reaction score
Updated 6/27/14 for new information on fund raising campaign.

Hey homebrew talk.
I've started an organization called Homebrew For Heroes. (HB4H) and I need your help.

This is a project to welcome home the service men and women coming home from war. To help raise funds for startup materials (labels, carriers, bottle caps and the like), we have started a campaign on Booster. Basically, T-Shirts are for sale. You can buy one for $20 plus a little for shipping, and Booster will share the profits with the cause.

Please check out the link below, and share it with as many people as you can

https://www.booster.com/hb4h

hb4h_officiallabel1-1024x672.jpg

Not trying to rain on your parade here because I really do applaud what you are doing....but how does this work with the whole homebrew being sold thing?

I know you state the money is for the purchase of the shirt and a free homebrew comes as an aside, but you know Caesar and his laws.

Good point nightshade...
so far, we've not spent a dime on "beer" ingredients for our first 100 gallon batch were graciously donated by a local Brewery. I assure you there will not be a single bottle "sold". There are some costs associated with this project. Things like printed labels, bottle caps, bottles, boxes, Domain fees. The list goes on and on and are proving to be deeper than my pockets.
Get yourself a shirt and feel good knowing you are sending a little Thank you to a soldier. or... Beyer yet but a shirt and send in a few bottles of homebrew!

I will see what I can do about getting a shirt, money is tight for me until spring but I think I can manage a new shirt purchase especially for such a good cause.

Again I wasn't raising any objections just curious how it works out.

*edit* Shared to my FB to give you some more exposure in this project.

I will see what I can do about getting a shirt, money is tight for me until spring but I think I can manage a new shirt purchase especially for such a good cause.

Again I wasn't raising any objections just curious how it works out.

*edit* Shared to my FB to give you some more exposure in this project.

Great! Thanks!
I appreciate the share on Facebook. It is always good to get exposure in other regions.

Is the only way to help by buying a shirt? I'd rather donate homebrew. So the question is, is this program specific to your locality, or do you have plans to put homebrewers in contact with local soldiers so that we can donate directly?

Is the only way to help by buying a shirt? I'd rather donate homebrew. So the question is, is this program specific to your locality, or do you have plans to put homebrewers in contact with local soldiers so that we can donate directly?

We are still such a new organization we aren't capable of expanding just yet, however we plan to roll out to other locations very soon.
If you are familiar with sending bottles into competition, you could send a few to us to distribute.
Our actual website also has a link to donate through PayPal.
www.homebrew4heroes.org

Look at the banner ad right there at the top of the largest single homebrew website on the planet! Yep, that's homebrew for heroes!

2013-11-21 21.58.31.jpg

The question has come up if there was a way to simply make a monetary contribution to this organization... More than one guy I have communicated with said that they have too many beer t shirts already! Lol

anyway, you can simply visit www.homebrew4heroes.org and follow the PayPal link on the right sidebar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I got out of the Marines not too long ago and still have some friends in. I imagine I could linkyou you up with some of the higher ranking folks to organize some recipents. Big fan of this btw. I would have loved some nice cold homebrew upon returning from the sand box.

I'm bookmarking this thread and your booster page and will buy a shirt later (I'm browsing from bed because my insomnia has gotten the best of me right now).

I did not serve in the military but have the utmost respect for anybody who did or is actively serving. I regularly participate in fund raising that my local bar does for veterans and am always looking for ways to contribute. I think this is a great idea. I will casually pass you info on to the owner. They're heavily involved in their own events so I can't promise anything from them, but it can't hurt...

I saw your banner on HBT and clicked it, but your website is pretty ambiguous. The "How it works" page has nothing on it. After googling I found this thread...so how does it work?

Like the previous poster, I would like more info. I think it is a neat idea but am unsure of the particulars. As I read it, I buy a t-shirt and you buy brewing supplies. I live in the DFW area, though. Could I buy my own supplies and brew the beer for donation? Who brews the beer as the program is set up? How is it distributed? How is the troop chose? Etc... My son is serving in Afghanistan now. I am obviously a big supporter of helping our troops, I would just like more detailed information.

I saw your banner on HBT and clicked it, but your website is pretty ambiguous. The "How it works" page has nothing on it. After googling I found this thread...so how does it work?

Like the previous poster, I would like more info. I think it is a neat idea but am unsure of the particulars. As I read it, I buy a t-shirt and you buy brewing supplies. I live in the DFW area, though. Could I buy my own supplies and brew the beer for donation? Who brews the beer as the program is set up? How is it distributed? How is the troop chose? Etc... My son is serving in Afghanistan now. I am obviously a big supporter of helping our troops, I would just like more detailed information.

Thanks for asking guys.
Yeah, the site needs some finishing up. We were just so focused on getting our distribution complete that we had to focus our resources there.
I'll post more details in a bit.

So the basic run down is this...
We identify a unit to adopt. There had to be enough lead time to get some beer brewed and packaged before the return date.
We have been doing some funds raisers like Teeshirt sales to bring in money for bottles and caps, boxes, labels. We plan for each soldier to get a12 pack of beer. This distribution had 76 soldiers on the roster. I planned for 80. Multiplied by 12 bottles each, that's 960 bottles of beer, 80-12 packs, 40 cases, 90 gallons of beer, 18-5 gallon batches.
We are done with the first distribution and are meeting soon to write up some bylaws so this can be carried out as "chapters" per say. We want it as repeatable aspossible.

How does one go about reccommending a returning unit to be considered? We've got a Texas National Guard unit coming home this month, which is not enough lead time for this, but I'm sure there are Guard units coming home all the time that would be interested in this.

I think it would be cool if you took pictures of the whole process from receiving all that beer, bottling it, etc...all the way up to delivering it to the troops. Put some details together like how you got the program started, what beer you chose to give out, and submit it as an article to BYO. I would be interested in reading it.

I think it would be cool if you took pictures of the whole process from receiving all that beer, bottling it, etc...all the way up to delivering it to the troops. Put some details together like how you got the program started, what beer you chose to give out, and submit it as an article to BYO. I would be interested in reading it.

I'm a step ahead of ya! ;-)
is in the works...

So the basic run down is this...
We identify a unit to adopt. There had to be enough lead time to get some beer brewed and packaged before the return date.
We have been doing some funds raisers like Teeshirt sales to bring in money for bottles and caps, boxes, labels. We plan for each soldier to get a12 pack of beer. This distribution had 76 soldiers on the roster. I planned for 80. Multiplied by 12 bottles each, that's 960 bottles of beer, 80-12 packs, 40 cases, 90 gallons of beer, 18-5 gallon batches.
We are done with the first distribution and are meeting soon to write up some bylaws so this can be carried out as "chapters" per say. We want it as repeatable aspossible.
I love it. But I would still like to see my above questions answered. My brew buddy and I would be more than willing to donate some brew time and beer, and document the whole process.

Could I buy my own supplies and brew the beer for donation? Who brews the beer as the program is set up? How is it distributed? How is the troop chose?

Could I buy my own supplies and brew the beer for donation?
this is ultimately how I would like to see donations come in. I can't rely on overwhelming generosity of local breweries to float these distributions. We were very fortunate to have Fritz Rahr help out so much on the firs go at this. This should be a complete donation from start to finish coming from each home brewer.

Who brews the beer as the program is set up?
I would invite any and all home brewers who have proven skills to produce commercial or better quality beer. After all, we are wanting to spread the a awareness of home brew while giving these guys a quality product. Let's take pride in knowing each of these soldiers are getting the best we can give them.

How is the troop chose?
this first distribution was to my brothers unit. I'm still working out details on how to adopt a unit of which I have no affiliation.

How is it distributed?
This distribution was coordinated through my contact with my brother. However... An army unit should have a Family Readiness Group (FRG)Leader. They should be able to be a liaison to the commander of the unit being honored.

Very cool. I am really digging the idea the more I think about it. I will be in touch. Thanks for thinking of our troops. Tell you brother 'thank you" for his service.

Are y'all still selling shirts? The web site said it was closed

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No - unfortunately.
That was just a 30 day fund raiser.

When we get the website finished it should have a store page on it where we plan to sell shirts and other items such as this window decal. There will be slight changes made to make the website address easier to read.

20140204_182015.jpg

Awesome keep us posted I'd love to help out

Hey! Look, HB4H made it on the brewing network!
Look! HB4H made The Brewing Network
At 3:14:45 the brewing network talks about HB4H!
These guys are animated and probably a bit sloshed by this point in the show... There were some inappropriate comments about PTSD and such, but... It's good to hear that we are getting some air time!
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/1053

I know the threads been inactive for a bit but I was wondering how things have been goin with the group

Thanks for asking. I am coordinating a planning meeting with the guys helping me out. We are going to get some details ironed out and hopefully get some guidelines hammered down to expand this to other locations. Meeting should happen soon...

I love this idea. Our deployment is just starting to wind down. After I get settled in back home, I'd love to donate what I can to help out my brothers and sisters in arms.

That's great keep us posted

We are ramping up for national roll-out! We have about a month of development left (give or take) but we are hoping to have this ready to roll out soon!

I will update the original post here to reflect our new fund raising campaign. Until then, read our press release posted here in the "Articles" section of HBT.

Back