Homebrew = digestive "issues" than brewery beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

01Ryan10

Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd batch of beer and I noticed that I have a lot more foul gas/poop and unsettled stomach the next morning after drinking perhaps 40ozs of 7% IPA of my homebrew. I try my best not to disturb and pour out the yeast cake on the bottom of the bottles, but I'm sure there is still some in suspension or some that get into my glass. I've also used Whorfloc 15 minutes left in boil.

I can drink 40ozs of similar beer from a brewery, and definitely not have the same issues.

1. Is bottle conditioned homebrew known for this?

2. Is it the yeast?

3. Perhaps some Clarity Ferm from White Labs will help?

Generally that is your body reacting to the yeast you are drinking in homebrew. Comerical breweries tend to filter their beers so all of that yeast is gone. Some strains can cause this more than others. Clarity ferm breaks down large chain proteins that can cause chill haze but also apparently can cause a reduction in gluten in beers since that is a larger chain protein.

Stuff like cold crashing, using gelatin, and/or leaving your bottles in the fridge for a while can help keep the yeast flavor down.

Do you know if you have a gluten sensitivity? That may be an issue but unlikely because commercial breweries beer has gluten too.

It's not just yeast. It's oligosaccharides as well.

No yeast in beans; but plenty of oligosaccharides with the same result.

Do you know if you have a gluten sensitivity? That may be an issue but unlikely because commercial breweries beer has gluten too.

No gluten sensitivity at all.

With my next batch, I was going to ferment for 4 weeks instead of ferment 7-10 days and move to secondary for 10 more, but I know that's a whole other topic. From what I've read though...fermenting for 25+ days allows the yeast to "clean up" and let everything fall out of suspension. This leaves a much cleaner beer.

I had the same issue when I started drinking homebrew so I did some research and found some articles on this subject. I read, don't remember where off the top of my head, that it has nothing to do with yeast because it can't survive the acidity of even saliva much less stomach acid. Rather it is caused by unconverted starches, unfermentable sugars and long chain proteins that your gut has trouble digesting. The reason why big brewery beer doesn't do this to most is that they are very good at converting all starches and much better fermenting profiles, where homebrewing is not an exact science most of the time. Also they filter the beer before bottling because most of Americans would be turned off by dregs, which removes a lot of the indigestible proteins and such. Most people's system eventually adjust, if I make a new style sometimes those issues return for a day or two.

Latest posts

Back