Minnesota Homebrew Con 2017

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds awesome, hbt should definitely meet up formally on Saturday in that ballroom. Aha gets a corner, hbt gets a corner. If not then, then some other formal time and place. I used to go to a music convention and at the college meet and greet, everyone found their college in this big ballroom. Hope it comes to Denver sometime.

Seems odd there would be animosity between the two message boards. Brining a chocolate milk stout made with waffle cones and a take on a nut goodie bar to club night. Figured I would at least attempt a Minnesota themed beer. I know nut goodies are made in st paul.

Anyone see a printable seminar schedule? I'm wanting to print one out and mark the seminars I'm interested in. They won't normally be high on my priority list, but I might want to sit in on a few. I have to coordinate my time with my wife because this is our 25th anniversary vacation. (Don't ask how I managed to work THAT out, I have no idea!)

She will be the one with the camera snapping all kinds of candid shots of mostly strangers (future friends). If I can talk her into it, that is. She's very protective of her new camera and might not want to risk it being Sopered.

Anyone see a printable seminar schedule? I'm wanting to print one out and mark the seminars I'm interested in. They won't normally be high on my priority list, but I might want to sit in on a few. I have to coordinate my time with my wife because this is our 25th anniversary vacation. (Don't ask how I managed to work THAT out, I have no idea!)

She will be the one with the camera snapping all kinds of candid shots of mostly strangers (future friends). If I can talk her into it, that is. She's very protective of her new camera and might not want to risk it being Sopered.

Download the HBC app, and then you can mark the events you're interested in and create your schedule. Works pretty slick.

I did that- but it wants a reference number(?). Is that my AHA number (which I can't find anywhere).

No, its the reference number when you registered for the conference. Its on the receipt or the badge pickup you should have received today. Its your fast track ID number.

You will also get a paper schedule in your swag bag, when you check in

This will be my first Homebrew con, are cameras allowed? I just got a new dslr and would like to get some pictures while I'm there (non commercial use). I just don't want to get in trouble for not having media credentials.

No, its the reference number when you registered for the conference. Its on the receipt or the badge pickup you should have received today. Its your fast track ID number.

Well, duh I guess. I didn't even look at it! I found the number, and entered it in the app so easily that I"m embarrassed. Anyway, all set now, and packing my phone charger and stuff right now. See you soon!

This will be my first Homebrew con, are cameras allowed? I just got a new dslr and would like to get some pictures while I'm there (non commercial use). I just don't want to get in trouble for not having media credentials.

Oh, there are tons of people taking pictures and videos. Don't even be concerned- the advantage of being media is the free entry! If you're obviously filming videos for a youtube special, they will kick you out, but otherwise you're fine!

Schemy and I will be rolling through Decorah, IA to hit up Toppling Goliath and Pulpit Rock Brewing on our way to Homebrew Con. We will be there Tuesday afternoon.

Anyone interested in having a few beers?

Just saw this..... you are probably going to drive right by my house (I am about 10 miles south of Decorah on HWY 52 if you are going that way). I have a double brew day planned for Tuesday. If you want to stop in for a pregame beer on your way by - let me know. I have bottles of Rechoncho RIS that Pulpit Rock just released this past weekend. If you are interested in trying it, I would gladly crack a bottle open. :mug:

Oh, there are tons of people taking pictures and videos. Don't even be concerned- the advantage of being media is the free entry! If you're obviously filming videos for a youtube special, they will kick you out, but otherwise you're fine!

Thanks!

This was posted on the AHA message board..... decent schedule to see all the options.
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/.../uploads/Homebrew-Con-Session-Cheat-Sheet.pdf

excited for my first time going. ill be bringing a growler of my citra ipa and coconut cream ale. whens a good time to bring them/open them?

First night was a blast. First morning not as fun. Just about time to head down and check out the vendors and get some breakfast. First gotta let go of the coffee and crawl out of bed... 😖

Just saw this..... you are probably going to drive right by my house (I am about 10 miles south of Decorah on HWY 52 if you are going that way). I have a double brew day planned for Tuesday. If you want to stop in for a pregame beer on your way by - let me know. I have bottles of Rechoncho RIS that Pulpit Rock just released this past weekend. If you are interested in trying it, I would gladly crack a bottle open. :mug:

Braufessor, I'm sad Bryan and I missed this message. We had a great time in Decorah, and plan to make a return trip in the future. Thank you for the invite.

Was my first year attending and all in all it was a fun event. One thing Im wondering is the quality of the sessions compared to years past. I think I attended 2-3 that I thought were ok to pretty good. Some were just down right bad and not geared towards homebrewers at all. Is this typical or did I pick the wrong sessions to attend?

Was my first year attending and all in all it was a fun event. One thing Im wondering is the quality of the sessions compared to years past. I think I attended 2-3 that I thought were ok to pretty good. Some were just down right bad and not geared towards homebrewers at all. Is this typical or did I pick the wrong sessions to attend?

I thought some of the sessions were pretty mediocre/disappointing as well. I thought all the presenters I went to did a good-great job of presenting. However, I thought the descriptions of the sessions were not very specific and a couple times I felt like I ended up in a session that wasn't what I thought it would be.

One example was the "Lager Yeast Selection" session. The presentation was fine. However, I was seriously disappointed to find out that the presenter worked for a Dry yeast company and only discussed which of THEIR 3 dry lager yeasts to use in different lagers. If I would have know the session was going to be a person working for a company talking about their 3 dry yeasts..... I never would have went to it. The title and description gave no indication that it was going to focus on that. I was really anticipating a more encompassing presentation on a wide range of yeasts.

Again - the presentation itself was not "bad" or anything..... Just kind of felt like I ended up in a bit of a sales pitch for something I have zero interest in using. Other sessions I anticipated a more thorough and in depth discussion and they ended up basically covering fairly basic topics. I thought all of the sessions could have benefitted from a more detailed description of what we would be listening too and perhaps the level of content. I think that would have been helpful in selecting the best sessions to attend.

I thought the session on oxidation of beer was really good. The dry hopping one was pretty interesting. There was another that focused on the range of microorganisms for fermenting beer - that was really entertaining and was a nice overview.....

I suppose it is like any other "clinic or convention" - always some things of value to pick up. Always some things that disappoint.:mug:

I feel the more you learn about homebrewing, the less interesting the sessions become. It's hard to get excited about something you know quite a bit about already.

That said, I do think there were a lot of sessions this year that did not get to what I would consider the core of the hobby. Lots of peripheral session topics.

I managed to attend 2 of them this year, the oxidation one, and one on improving your homebrew club. The one on improving your club was better toward the end, but the first half was these guys describing their own clubs. I would have preferred more discussion specifically on how ideas on how to improve my own. Ours is not a 200+ member club. More like way less than 20. Not a lot of the discussion was relevant IMO. I mean there was some good advice, but most things were not possible with such a small club or in such a low population area.

Completely missed the Denny Con "Watch Me Science" seminar. Somehow got sidetracked and just missed it. I blame the beer and vendors in the expo.

I feel the more you learn about homebrewing, the less interesting the sessions become. It's hard to get excited about something you know quite a bit about already.

That said, I do think there were a lot of sessions this year that did not get to what I would consider the core of the hobby. Lots of peripheral session topics.

I managed to attend 2 of them this year, the oxidation one, and one on improving your homebrew club. The one on improving your club was better toward the end, but the first half was these guys describing their own clubs. I would have preferred more discussion specifically on how ideas on how to improve my own. Ours is not a 200+ member club. More like way less than 20. Not a lot of the discussion was relevant IMO. I mean there was some good advice, but most things were not possible with such a small club or in such a low population area.

Completely missed the Denny Con "Watch Me Science" seminar. Somehow got sidetracked and just missed it. I blame the beer and vendors in the expo.

I attended the Homebrew Club one as well, and thought it was just a Radegast brag session. While those clubs are doing great things, they are established and larger. It didn't do a lot for us at all. I was disappointed as we were really looking for ideas on how to improve our young club. A member that attended San Diego, said it sounded like exactly the same session he attended. Which was disappointing to hear.

Thanks, I also went to the lager yeast session and had the exact same reaction. Same impression and same issues with the club chat. I have a smallish club as well and could not relate to the first world problems of those larger clubs. I did look into becoming a 501c7 so we could sell commercial beer at an event, as was suggested by the panel, but the amount of money we would generate would surpass dues by a large margin.

Remember that the AHA Governing Committee would love to hear your feedback, and are very open to constructive criticism.

I hate to admit it, but I didn't even go to ONE session this year. Normally, I make it to one or two, but there were few that appealed to me from the description. I talked to a friend about the oxidation one, which did sound interesting, but as for the rest I was pretty "meh" about them.

I'll be visiting one of the GC members in two weeks (staying at her house), and I'll probably bring it up. They listen to the pitches for next year's topics, and choose the ones that are most interesting for the membership. Also, if there is something you'd like to have as a topic, they are welcoming of suggestions.

It's been a long time (years and years) since I"ve gone to one of the seminars and felt that I learned something, to be honest. NOT that I know it all- far from it. There was one a while back that really got into the "meat" of the debranching of amylopectins in the mash and I thought it was great. Otherwise, it's a best a review of what is common knowledge for the most part.

I'd hazard a guess that most of the attenders are beyond the beginner's stage and more into the intermediate/expert brewers level of experience and I'd expect the seminars to reflect that. I've been mostly disappointed.

I did give the same feedback in the survey they sent out. Ive been brewing for about 5 years, I know most of the basics but still manage to be surprised by what I don't know or have not thought of before. The Schells berliner session was particularly bad. The presentation was fine and the beers were very good but the session focused on the history of Berliners and how they were soured in the past and how Schells does it not. Nothing was presented on how the homebrewer can use the techniques at home.

..... and how Schells does it not. Nothing was presented on how the homebrewer can use the techniques at home.

I did not attend that session - However, this is something that is a bit of a common theme in lots of clinics, across many spectrums. I coach cross country and track and have been to a couple dozen high school track coaching clinics over the years. I will never forget sitting in a session about coaching the long jump - l was hoping to learn more about coaching HS kids from someone who has been one of the most successful LJ coaches in US history. Basically, the coach talked for nearly the full hour on what he had done while coaching Carl Lewis ....... Great...... All I could do was sit there an think - what the hell good is any of that information? I will never coach someone with a fraction of that kind of ability.

Remember that the AHA Governing Committee would love to hear your feedback, and are very open to constructive criticism.

I hate to admit it, but I didn't even go to ONE session this year. Normally, I make it to one or two, but there were few that appealed to me from the description. I talked to a friend about the oxidation one, which did sound interesting, but as for the rest I was pretty "meh" about them.

I'll be visiting one of the GC members in two weeks (staying at her house), and I'll probably bring it up. They listen to the pitches for next year's topics, and choose the ones that are most interesting for the membership. Also, if there is something you'd like to have as a topic, they are welcoming of suggestions.

It's been a long time (years and years) since I"ve gone to one of the seminars and felt that I learned something, to be honest. NOT that I know it all- far from it. There was one a while back that really got into the "meat" of the debranching of amylopectins in the mash and I thought it was great. Otherwise, it's a best a review of what is common knowledge for the most part.

I'd hazard a guess that most of the attenders are beyond the beginner's stage and more into the intermediate/expert brewers level of experience and I'd expect the seminars to reflect that. I've been mostly disappointed.

I filled out my survey with pros and cons as well.

For me, it is not so much that the presentations were good or bad as much as it was hit and miss on whether they really covered what you expected, or if you could even figure out what the focus was going to be.

I thought the descriptions were weak, vague or misleading..... so, whether you got what you wanted or not out of a session was kind of a crap shoot.

I would like to see a bit more in regard to -
*Audience - who is this directed at? Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced?

*Focus - Historical/Informative? Anecdotal/Let me tell you about my/our story? Technical/Process? Applicable to your Homebrewing or more focused on industrial/business level practices? That kind of stuff.

*General (brief) outline of topics to be covered..... 5 main points of focus for instance.

Sessions were about on par with the previous NHCs I've attended, which is to say that there are typically mostly good/OK ones, with rare great ones, and a fair number of lame ones.

Honestly, I'm most likely to pick a session based on presenter than anything else.

Something I learned from tech conferences, and applied at homebrewcon: Look at the topic, and look at the presenter. I attended a few sessions presented by PhD's that were fantastic even though I only understood a fraction of the content.

Then there was "hold my beer and watch me science" which I can't say I learned a single thing from, but was entertaining because the presenters were interesting.

Big letdown for me was the recipe development session with the guys from Dangerous Man. They make great beer, but the session was basically worthless. I wish they would have found a better topic to present on.

Back