Homebrew Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDBrewer

Reaction score
I just received an email stating that my entries got accepted. Im trying to confirm my entries but my only problem is that I am entering an "unconventional" beer. I recently brewed an IPA using most wheat extract and I'm not sure what category to enter it under. Can someone give me advice on the best category to enter it in? I tried searching for a similar thread on this but was unsuccessful. Im guessing I should enter it under "specialty beer". Thanks in advance.

how does it taste? if it is basically an ipa recipe with wheat instead of 2-row, then ipa is still probably the right choice.

So should I enter the base style as an American IPA and the specialty nature as wheat?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Okay thanks for the advice. This is my first time entering one. Just hoping to get some good feedback on my brewing process.

I'd personally enter it as an IPA. Wheat isn't going to really push it out of style at the end of the day. I will say, the NHC is moving to checksheets for the first round this year, so it's really an expensive competition to enter for feedback. You won't get as much as you would at a normal competition, just an FYI.

I wouldnt waste my time entering beers like that into competition. I'm not saying they aren't worth making but BJCP is round pegs in round holes..there is no room for those types of beers. Specialty in itself is a crap shoot that purely depends on the subjective taste of the judges.

I wouldnt waste my time entering beers like that into competition. I'm not saying they aren't worth making but BJCP is round pegs in round holes..there is no room for those types of beers. Specialty in itself is a crap shoot that purely depends on the subjective taste of the judges.

I kind of figured that but I have a pale ale that I want to enter so I decided to throw this one in just for fun anyway.

Specialty in itself is a crap shoot that purely depends on the subjective taste of the judges.
This is wrong. It's not about subjective taste. You are judged as the base style that you enter under with whatever exceptions or additions you make. If you say it's a stout with blueberry, the blueberry better be evident and it better hit the style marks for a stout. You basically make up a style that doesn't already exist and then have to live up to that description.

edit to say:
It is a competitive category and one that's got to be tough on the judges and their palates. They could be asked to sample everything from a sour light lager to a black IPA all in the same session.

I'd keep it simple. Like I said earlier, "A big, hoppy American Wheat."

I'm not a BJCP judge, so I hope someone who is steps in to comment on this.

:p

Yooper Signal_2.jpg

I'd keep it simple. Like I said earlier, "A big, hoppy American Wheat."

I'm not a BJCP judge, so I hope someone who is steps in to comment on this.

What does the beer taste and look like? That's ultimately what a judge is looking at. If it's a "big, hoppy, American Wheat", then so be it. I still think it sounds like it would go into IPA just fine. Wheat character in a big and hoppy beer isn't going to be particularly forward and there isn't anything that says you can't make an IPA with mostly wheat in the style guide. I would be very surprised if you entered it as an IPA and a judge tells you that you should have entered it as a 23.

What does the beer taste and look like? That's ultimately what a judge is looking at. If it's a "big, hoppy, American Wheat", then so be it. I still think it sounds like it would go into IPA just fine. Wheat character in a big and hoppy beer isn't going to be particularly forward and there isn't anything that says you can't make an IPA with mostly wheat in the style guide. I would be very surprised if you entered it as an IPA and a judge tells you that you should have entered it as a 23.

I just taste tested it and it taste like a big hoppy American wheat. It's has a nice flavor up front and then the hops finish off nice and slow so I think I'm going to enter it under 23 as an American wheat/ high alcohol/ hoppy.

Back