Homebrew Competition Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geckholm

Reaction score
Does anyone know the rules regarding classifications? I have a Stout I am thinking of entering into the Drunk Monk, just to get feedback if anything else. It meets the American Stout guidelines, except I have add Powers Irish Whiskey and Coffee to it. Would that still fit the American Stout classification, or would that put it out of the category?

Does anyone know the rules regarding classifications? I have a Stout I am thinking of entering into the Drunk Monk, just to get feedback if anything else. It meets the American Stout guidelines, except I have add Powers Irish Whiskey and Coffee to it. Would that still fit the American Stout classification, or would that put it out of the category?

The coffee fits in the description of the American Stout style, but the guidelines make no mention of any whiskey character being present. They do allow for medium levels of smooth alcohol character, so if it's not too strong I would probably consider entering as a 13E. If the whiskey flavor is very prominent I would enter it in the Specialty category 23.

No real rules, if the judges feel the beer doesn't fit in the category or it has characteristics that are outside of category they will judge it accordingly. It is quite possible to enter one beer into more than one category and do well. If you are doing things outside the style guidelines I would toss it into a couple similar styles and see what happens.

Adding coffee and whiskey to a stout is "not to style." However, you get judged on what your beer tastes like - not how you made it. So, in my opinion, if it tastes like the american stout guidelines - enter it as an american stout. If it tastes like an american stout that has coffee and whiskey in it - I would be more inclined to enter it in specialty category 23 and note the base style (stout) and what you added to it (whiskey and coffee).

Note, that if you enter it specialty as I suggested above, the judges will be looking to taste: stout, whiskey and coffee....... if they don't taste those things you will probably get dinged. So, don't note it as an ingredient if you can't taste it.

entering it in a couple categories is a good way to see where it is perceived better as mentioned above.

Thanks guys, I think the whiskey will be subtle, but identifiable. The coffee will be a little more prominent. Looks like I'll enter it (assuming it finishes OK in about 2 weeks), in the specialty category.

so, got the competition results back today, didn't score as well as I would have liked to, comments were mostly out of style and too much carb. I knew I had a carb problem. The written feedback on the other hand was very valuable! I think a couple subtle changes would drastically improve the quality and score.

Latest posts

Back