Homebrew Club Fayetteville, NC??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm living in the fayettville area and looking at learning more about all grain brewing. I have done a lot of extract brewing but it just wasn't my thing. I'm in search right now for stuff to build my own all grain home brew Equipment. If there is anyone out there that would love to pass down there brewing wisdom that would be amazing.

RidingDonkeys said:
I'm in! Let's do this thing.

As for the discussion on supplies, I get what I can at Grapes and Hops, but I generally leave disappointed. However, I have new hope. Triangle Wine Company just opened up a second location in Southern Pines. They have an extensive beer selection, and after spending some time over there last week, the owner is extremely interested in bringing in some home brew supplies. He even mentioned the desire to do a homebrew tasting night with local homebrewers.

My dad lives in southern pines, where is this place at?

My dad lives in southern pines, where is this place at?

Triangle Wine Company 144 Brucewood Rd, Southern Pines 28387

It is by Kohl's on the road that connects 15-501 to Morganton, where the old K-mart was years ago.

They don't have brew supplies yet, but are preparing to carry them. They have an amazing beer selection though. Talk to Chris when you go and mention the homebrew supplies. The more interest people show, the more likely he is to do it.

Acough said:
I'm living in the fayettville area and looking at learning more about all grain brewing. I have done a lot of extract brewing but it just wasn't my thing. I'm in search right now for stuff to build my own all grain home brew Equipment. If there is anyone out there that would love to pass down there brewing wisdom that would be amazing.

I was in a similar boat about a year and a half ago and built my own mash tun and used a spare kettle for the HLT. I'd be happy to help you out. Let me see if I can dig up the instructions I used an you can see pictures of it at http://www.facebook.com/lutzbrauerei

LutzBrauerei said:
I was in a similar boat about a year and a half ago and built my own mash tun and used a spare kettle for the HLT. I'd be happy to help you out. Let me see if I can dig up the instructions I used an you can see pictures of it at http://www.facebook.com/lutzbrauerei

Thank you, I have been trying to figure it all out with no help. It is a huge leap from extract to all grain alot more info and stuff to have to brew. I do appreciate it.

LutzBrauerei

I built my Mash Tun about a year ago. Got everything from HomeDepot in one trip and saved about 50% on the cost from a pre-built. Here is the YouTube video I used. They also have a site with a good shopping list. One word of advice... skip the braid for the false bottom... it'll flaten out and clog quickly. I would also recomend spending the few extra bucks to get the 10 gal cooler to allow you to do bigger beers or batches later on.

With this Mash Tun, I was able to maintain my mash temp for 90 min and temp dropped about 1 degree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crap, I don't know how I missed all of this! I didn't get any notifications! Personally, I don't know if all grain is going to be my thing or not. I love extract as it produces a good product and is simple fast and easy. Ideally I would like to sit with someone through the process and see how it all works and see it it's something I'll have the time and motivation for. I still have this kit so if anyone is interested I'll split the batch of Northern Brewer Chocolate Milk Stout right down the middle. I promised my buddy it would be ready to enjoy when he got home from down range.

I've been brewing all-grain for a few years. I work at Ft. Bragg. Hit me up with a pm if you want any tips. Caveat: I'm still learning myself.

I live on 87 near the Linden Oaks military housing. I'm driving for FedEx right now, so I'm pretty good at getting around quickly in Fayetteville, Raeford, Southern Pines, Aberdeen, Pinehurst, Vass, Carthage, Sanford, etc. I'd be interested in some homebrew club action in any place nearby. Still doing extract on my stove right now but I hope to convince SWMBO to allow me to get an eBIAB setup in a few months. Just bottled my first batch and brewed my second batch today (BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde) and I'm brewing some hopefully panty dropping cider on the 17th with the yeast harvested from the blonde.

I got the brewing kit for Christmas and lucked out and convinced my wife to let me get a kegging setup early for my birthday this month. Just trying to find a side by side refrigerator on Craiglist to chill the kegs and use as a fermentation chamber. Already got my keg setup and temp controllers.

Seems we have plenty of interest, holidays are gone so no excuses, you guys ready to put something on a calendar for a meet up. Even if it's just a meet and greet at carolina ale house or somewhere else?

I live on 87 near the Linden Oaks military housing. I'm driving for FedEx right now, so I'm pretty good at getting around quickly in Fayetteville, Raeford, Southern Pines, Aberdeen, Pinehurst, Vass, Carthage, Sanford, etc. I'd be interested in some homebrew club action in any place nearby. Still doing extract on my stove right now but I hope to convince SWMBO to allow me to get an eBIAB setup in a few months. Just bottled my first batch and brewed my second batch today (BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde) and I'm brewing some hopefully panty dropping cider on the 17th with the yeast harvested from the blonde.

I got the brewing kit for Christmas and lucked out and convinced my wife to let me get a kegging setup early for my birthday this month. Just trying to find a side by side refrigerator on Craiglist to chill the kegs and use as a fermentation chamber. Already got my keg setup and temp controllers.

I don't know if you are able, but if you can make it to the MWR auction on Bragg on Thursday, there is a really nice True undercounter refrigerator that will be up for bid. It will hold 5 corny kegs and has a stainless prep table top. Al you would have to do is drill for a tower. I have no idea what it will go for, but I talked to the maintenance man at Sports USA (where it came from) and he said it worked when they replaced it. And the thing about True, is everyone works on them....easy to repair. Anyway, someone should get this.

Seems we have plenty of interest, holidays are gone so no excuses, you guys ready to put something on a calendar for a meet up. Even if it's just a meet and greet at carolina ale house or somewhere else?

I ready.

Let me know ahead of time and I can mobilze the SOB guys in the Bragg area. There are some award-winning brewers in there, although some are down-range currently....but they'll be back. No reason on God's green earth that Bragg/Fayetteville ain't representing.

We should do this. The SOB club members always brought a beer to share at the meeting. I have a so-so milk stout bottled that I can bring. The sticker is finding a place to meet that allows patrons to bring in their own beer.

I have a decent garage and large cul de sac, but I'd say my limits is 8-10 people. As mentioned 150-200" projector w/ direct tv, pool table, and beer fridge.

I don't know if you are able, but if you can make it to the MWR auction on Bragg on Thursday, there is a really nice True undercounter refrigerator that will be up for bid. It will hold 5 corny kegs and has a stainless prep table top. Al you would have to do is drill for a tower. I have no idea what it will go for, but I talked to the maintenance man at Sports USA (where it came from) and he said it worked when they replaced it. And the thing about True, is everyone works on them....easy to repair. Anyway, someone should get this.

I would love that, but I'd have no place to put the thing. I might go check it out anyway just to see what it goes for. Only thing is that I'd still need a fermentation chamber. We all know how hot it gets around here in the summer. Thanks for the heads up.

I would love that, but I'd have no place to put the thing. I might go check it out anyway just to see what it goes for. Only thing is that I'd still need a fermentation chamber. We all know how hot it gets around here in the summer. Thanks for the heads up.

Just put it in my garage! I'm more than happy to store it for you!

I would definitely try the original Grapes and Hops for that as opposed to the new one on 87. I went in there because it's right across from my house. Just opened about 2 weeks ago. They don't have any of the homebrew stuff there. I talked to the owner and she said they're trying not to take away too much business from the other store. She wants a more upscale feel there. Walking in, I was immediately reminded of The Wine Cafe in Hope Mills. They have tables in there to sit and drink.

If you live up near the northeast side of Bragg like me and are looking for some craft beers that you just can't seem to find, I would definitely head over there. Due to the young age, they are literally asking every customer what beer and wine they would like them to carry so they can get a list of regulars to stock. They can also special order. They are a bit pricy, but they have some pretty decent brews for cheap. I picked up a 6er of Carolina Brewing Co Nut Brown for just over $7. They have a lot of NC micros and the more famous micros in bombers if you want to sample some different styles. They tend to be more expensive though.

I figure we can get a few people together and decide on a more perm location over a beer at an easy to find commercial location.

Reelale, I saw that sucker last week and thought it would be perfect for someone on the forum. I have a True TDD-2 and love it. If the compressor runs, it is worth buying. It doesn't even have to cool, just run. The only expensive part of these units is buying a new compressor, but with patience, good used ones can be found for cheap. My recommendation is to install service valves on the front of the compressor as soon as you get it. This will allow you to have it charged with freon without having to move the unit or disturb the compressor. It will save you time in labor costs as well.

Keep in mind though that these industrial units do run a bit louder than your normal home refrigerators. It doesn't bother me or MrsDonkeys, but it might annoy some people.

I didn't end up making it out to the auction. Anyone know what it went for?

I could meet at the Ale House at noon Saturday unless I get called in to work.

I don't know what it went for either. I saw it last week, but had to pop out to Oklahoma on e-leave this week. I'm gone til Monday, so you guys have fun at the Ale house.

I meant carolina ale house, but mash house is good too. I just want to make sure people are going to show up and I wont be the only one.

I'll show. I see you put Mash House on the FB page. It doesn't make much difference to me, but we need to choose one for sure. I would think a facebook group would be better than a page also. That way we can have a group list instead of just a number of likes. I think it makes you able to send invites out to the group for an event also instead of just having it show up in their news feed and hoping they see it.

Yea, I figured mash house has a pretty good line up of beers and micro trumps factory beer any day. We'll talk about the FB thing tomorrow, it's something Cory suggested that I shot from the hip on while at work. Looking forward to meeting some folks. I'll be bringing some of my brews if anyone wants to take. Details to follow on FB page.

Latest posts

Back