Homebrew can save you lots of money

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this (and all of the other threads on this) topic are valuable to discuss the biases with regard to the economics of hobbies that produce a product widely available for purchase as a reasonable price.

And what is it that you think will be accomplished?

That we should stop brewing because it is to expensive, that's non-sense. Oh, and by the way did anyone include the price of their home in the cost of that beer, you brew in your home don't you. man, this home brewing is expensive.

Completely pointless, Have a nice day.

And what is it that you think will be accomplished?

That we should stop brewing because it is to expensive, that's non-sense. Oh, and by the way did anyone include the price of their home in the cost of that beer, you brew in your home don't you. man, this home brewing is expensive.

Completely pointless, Have a nice day.

Both of your posts are nonsense. If you don't want to participate in the discussion, GTFO. You obviously haven't comprehended the points being discussed. Not a single post in any of the threads here have suggested that any homebrewer should stop brewing or that it's not an awesome hobby. Straw man.

The recurring theme is everyone answers with "I don't consider MY time as labor cost because...." That's a huge point that I'm trying to make. I don't consider my brewing time as a labor cost either but I wouldn't use that as an argument trying to convince a non brewer that this is a cheap way to get beer. What I have to assume is that you don't believe anyone would both want cheap beer AND not actually find brewing enjoyable. I'm not trying to convince anyone here that this isn't worth it, whatever the cost. Everyone is in violent agreement about that or you wouldn't be reading this.

I don't care what you guys say. Brewing beer is cheaper then buying craft brews. Because of a recent move and baby, my pipeline has run dry. I have been buying craft beers at total wine and spending about 30-35 bucks a week. For that much I can brew a five gallon batch. Gas included. Which lasts me 3-4 weeks. That is real savings.

I don't. Give a rats ass about 'opportunity cost'. I don't take time off work to brew. I brew on weekends when I am not working anyways. If I wasn't brewing I would be doing something else. whactching tv, biking, yard work, chasing the kids, or what have you. None of witch I make money with. So there is no cost to me for brewing beer.

If I took a day off work to few it would be a different situation.

When I watch TV or do any other hobby, sport or activity. I never consider how much money it costs me not to be working. I don't see why brewing is any different.

Yes equipment costs add up. But I have been brewing for over ten years. And I don't. Have a fancy set up. And that cost has
been recouped long ago.

Bobby_M said:
The recurring theme is everyone answers with "I don't consider MY time as labor cost because...." That's a huge point that I'm trying to make. I don't consider my brewing time as a labor cost either but I wouldn't use that as an argument trying to convince a non brewer that this is a cheap way to get beer. What I have to assume is that you don't believe anyone would both want cheap beer AND not actually find brewing enjoyable. I'm not trying to convince anyone here that this isn't worth it, whatever the cost. Everyone is in violent agreement about that or you wouldn't be reading this.

I don't think anyones saying that among the things that go into a homemade beer that time isn't one of them, or that time doesn't have value. Everyone here works a job and hence values said time away from that job. I just think that (most) people would agree that when considering the cost of that brew they are thinking about monetary cost. Of course there is time involved. BEER=equipment ($) Ingredients ($) Transport ($) Time ($?). No, not time. Very few people would include time as a monetary consideration. Anyone who is that short on time would probably not consider brewing their own beer, but neither would they be engaging in any other hobby, in all likelyhood. You even included fermentation time as "time" invested in brewing that must be considered in a previous post. Unless you are also including the yeasts labor as a cost, this is not logical. What else would the yeast be doing if it wasn't making beer? They would be sitting on their a$$es in a white labs vial. Im having trouble seeing how its different.
Let's not even get into the "cost" of raising children. Time has value of course, but whether we choose to spend it brewing or not, it does not effect the cost of making your own beer.

Im suprised no Canadians have joined the conversation... those guys pay more for pisswater than we pay for Chimay

"Cost" doesn't always equal money, IMO.

I have a very good friend who really likes beer; but once he found out about ~6 hour brew days, and 6 weeks to ferment and condition, he had no interest in the hobby of homebrewing. For him, being able to spend 5 minutes to buy 50 beers at the store outweighed any cost savings of taking time that could be spent doing other hobbies (not work, mind you - other things like golf, gardening, etc.).

AZ_IPA said:
"Cost" doesn't always equal money, IMO.

I have a very good friend who really likes beer; but once he found out about ~6 hour brew days, and 6 weeks to ferment and condition, he had no interest in the hobby of homebrewing. For him, being able to spend 5 minutes to buy 50 beers at the store outweighed any cost savings of taking time that could be spent doing other hobbies (not work, mind you - other things like golf, gardening, etc.).

Golf already came up... same discussion. Do you add in the time you spend playing on the cost for 18 holes?

AZ_IPA said:
Different. My friend would rather golf than spend time brewing when he can go to the store and buy good beer.

Again. For him, cost = time; not money....

Its different than money to be sure, but its not different as pertains to the discussion. Golf costs say, $40 for 18 holes (some courses are much more I know) 3 hours to play. Beer costs $20 (or a lot more for the ones ives been brewing) and about 6 hours to make. Saying that the beer costs more than $20 because of the time spent is like saying the golf game is more costly for the same reasonings. If there is any difference to be had in these comparisons, its because brewing results in a tangible product, whereas playing golf does not. +1 for brewing :)

Its different than money to be sure, but its not different as pertains to the discussion. Golf costs say, $40 for 18 holes (some courses are much more I know) 3 hours to play. Beer costs $20 (or a lot more for the ones ives been brewing) and about 6 hours to make. Saying that the beer costs more than $20 because of the time spent is like saying the golf game is more costly for the same reasonings. If there is any difference to be had in these comparisons, its because brewing results in a tangible product, whereas playing golf does not. +1 for brewing :)

I completely understand, but you're missing my point. My friend REALLY likes beer; aka, to keep his pipeline full for his consumption rates he'd need to brew about 2-3 times a week. So, for him, he'd rather spend his time enjoying other hobbies and buying beer...

AZ_IPA said:
I completely understand, but you're missing my point. My friend REALLY likes beer; aka, to keep his pipeline full for his consumption rates he'd need to brew about 2-3 times a week. So, for him, he'd rather spend his time enjoying other hobbies and buying beer...

Ill bet your buddy plays an interesting game of golf if he drinks approximately 2 gallons or beer a day... :drunk: but I think that liking beer and having a desire to brew are as different as liking good food and having a desire to cook it. Your point, as it appears, is just that your friend doesn't want to make beer. It doesn't have anything to do with assessing the value of this beer with respect to cost savings which im pretty sure is what this thread is about but im not sure anymore...

It doesn't have anything to do with assessing the value of this beer with respect to cost savings which im pretty sure is what this thread is about but im not sure anymore...

Yes, it started off about money, but quickly changed to "cost" which I will continue to discuss may or may not equal money, depending on your situation.

And yes, he drinks a lot and is not a very good golfer...

bottlebomber said:
Golf already came up... same discussion. Do you add in the time you spend playing on the cost for 18 holes?

Of course we do, if only unconsciously. And obviously, if I'm playing golf, I feel that all the costs involved are still worth the enjoyment I get in return. Hell, most avid golfers spend their time doing what they consider to be "practice"... being good at the game, and keeping up one's skills, certainly have a time investment.

Consciously coming up with the cost of the time playing golf only sounds ridiculous because of one key difference from homebrewing: the fact that it sounds equally ridiculous that anybody would ever play golf to "save money". It doesn't produce any tangible good, only your entertainment.

And enjoyment/entertainment seems to be the key thing being overlooked here. When adding all the costs up - variable (e.g. ingredients), fixed (e.g. equipment), and your time - enjoyment is ALSO a product of all this, not just the beer we produce. Most people who don't enjoy homebrewing (or don't think they would) certainly don't think this hobby is worth it, but why? If it were only a matter of equipment and consumables, you can recoup your costs in 1 or 2 batches, if that's REALLY your goal. But in my experience (and clearly not only my own), time is by far the biggest turnoff (heck, it's been the only real turnoff) for people thinking about homebrewing.

The only way to explain all this is that the out-of-pocket costs can easily be LESS THAN the marginal saved by switching from commercial to homebrewed beer, which would result in a lower cost. So what we "get" out of it would be the same, but it would simply cost us less - and what kind of idiot wants it the other way around? Are you saying everybody is just stupid?

Far more likely is that once the cost of one's own time is factored in, the cost is suddenly GREATER THAN the marginal money saved by homebrewing, meaning ultimately we pay more, while still getting the same (unless you value your time UNBELIEVABLY low). Only an idiot wants to pay more without getting more. So is everybody on this site an idiot?

No, because, going back to the initial idea with golf, WE are not actually getting the same. It might ultimately cost us more than simply beer, but we also get a lot more than simply the beer we produce - we get enjoyment out of it. More specifically, we place enough value in that enjoyment to OUTWEIGH the cost of our time. To keep it in the terms I was using before, the total cost is LESS than the total value we receive (in terms of that same marginal money saved, PLUS enjoyment).

Keep in mind money has no inherent value, but simply represents things that do. And that inherent value is largely driven by scarcity. One's time certainly does have inherent value, and it's definitely scarce. If you could take an effortless, risk-free, neither particularly pleasant nor unpleasant job for 1 hour a week that would never interfere with your other job(s), and would cover the entire cost of commuting, how much would you need to be paid to accept it? I might have left a tiny hole in those conditions which somebody will inevitably pounce on, but that figure is, at the very least, pretty damn close to the monetary value you are placing on an hour of your time at the margin.

Of course we do, if only unconsciously. And obviously, if I'm playing golf, I feel that all the costs involved are still worth the enjoyment I get in return. Hell, most avid golfers spend their time doing what they consider to be "practice"... being good at the game, and keeping up one's skills, certainly have a time investment.

Consciously coming up with the cost of the time playing golf only sounds ridiculous because of one key difference from homebrewing: the fact that it sounds equally ridiculous that anybody would ever play golf to "save money". It doesn't produce any tangible good, only your entertainment.

And enjoyment/entertainment seems to be the key thing being overlooked here. When adding all the costs up - variable (e.g. ingredients), fixed (e.g. equipment), and your time - enjoyment is ALSO a product of all this, not just the beer we produce. Most people who don't enjoy homebrewing (or don't think they would) certainly don't think this hobby is worth it, but why? If it were only a matter of equipment and consumables, you can recoup your costs in 1 or 2 batches, if that's REALLY your goal. But in my experience (and clearly not only my own), time is by far the biggest turnoff (heck, it's been the only real turnoff) for people thinking about homebrewing.

The only way to explain all this is that the out-of-pocket costs can easily be LESS THAN the marginal saved by switching from commercial to homebrewed beer, which would result in a lower cost. So what we "get" out of it would be the same, but it would simply cost us less - and what kind of idiot wants it the other way around? Are you saying everybody is just stupid?

Far more likely is that once the cost of one's own time is factored in, the cost is suddenly GREATER THAN the marginal money saved by homebrewing, meaning ultimately we pay more, while still getting the same (unless you value your time UNBELIEVABLY low). Only an idiot wants to pay more without getting more. So is everybody on this site an idiot?

No, because, going back to the initial idea with golf, WE are not actually getting the same. It might ultimately cost us more than simply beer, but we also get a lot more than simply the beer we produce - we get enjoyment out of it. More specifically, we place enough value in that enjoyment to OUTWEIGH the cost of our time. To keep it in the terms I was using before, the total cost is LESS than the total value we receive (in terms of that same marginal money saved, PLUS enjoyment).

Keep in mind money has no inherent value, but simply represents things that do. And that inherent value is largely driven by scarcity. One's time certainly does have inherent value, and it's definitely scarce. If you could take an effortless, risk-free, neither particularly pleasant nor unpleasant job for 1 hour a week that would never interfere with your other job(s), and would cover the entire cost of commuting, how much would you need to be paid to accept it? I might have left a tiny hole in those conditions which somebody will inevitably pounce on, but that figure is, at the very least, pretty damn close to the monetary value you are placing on an hour of your time at the margin.

This. Nice post. :mug:

You kinda made yourself look at little foolish here... I was following your side of the discussion but this is a little rediculous. What if you went out for a drink and had 3 and got pulled over and got a DUI? What if that happened? Would the 10 grand in fines suddenly boost your price per pint to $50? I mean if you were at home drinking homebrew it wouldn't have happened... could you just assume this will eventually happen and if you stay home to drink just take this figure off the top of your brewing overhead? How much more convoluted can this discussion get?

Take a basic economics class, it might all be clearer then.

It's all part of the cost to get those supplies from the store to your brew area. If you didn't own a car, you wouldn't be able to drive down to get them, right?

Commercial breweries have supply chain systems set up so that it's ALL they do with their trucks or whatever. They also buy in bulk, I doubt they pay the buck thirty a pound for grain like the rest of us.

Yeah, it might sound outlandish but it's a fundamental cost of doing it yourself and if you're wanting to measure the true economic cost, you have to include it - or part of it, the part that you use when engaging in brewing activities.

Take a cost accounting class also. After that, it will make sense.

Back