Homebrew and Hangovers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrueDude

Reaction score
I asked this question on another forum and just got a bunch of snide remarks questioning my intelligence, so I decided to try a new forum.

Anyway, I have noticed that no matter how much of my homebrew I drink, I don't ever get a hangover. I sleep great, and wake up feeling refreshed. This doesn't happen with most commercial craft beer I drink, especially IPAs.

I'm a malthead, so I don't use a lot of hops. The only fining agent I use is Irish Moss. I keg, and I usually drink my beer pretty young.

So, any ideas on why this might be the case?

Acetaldehyde is the answer, if your drinking the beer too young your not giving the yeast enough time to convert this.

EDIT: hahaha I thought you were basically claiming the reverse of this statement, long week!

Acetaldehyde is the answer, if your drinking the beer too young your not giving the yeast enough time to convert this.

EDIT: hahaha I thought you were basically claiming the reverse of this statement, long week!

So my hangovers should be worse, then?

Yay, I must brew magic beer!

I keep that problem in check by not brewing high ABV beers. That's always a sure path to a hangover for me.

That's the thing, I have 2 kegged right now, one is over 7% and the other is at 6%. Not super high, but not low, either. I crushed them both last night and felt great this morning.

My homebrew gets me hungover if I have one too many, but I generally don't drink during the week. Maybe now that you have beer on tap, your alcohol tolerance has increased. Also, I think drinking lots of the same beer is kinder to the body than say starting with wine and ending with whiskey, or even drinking various different beers.
Sorry to hear your streak has ended!

Back