Home Toasted Maris Otter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoppysailor

Reaction score
Has anyone toasted Maris Otter pale malt at home? We've been toasting standard 2-row for Dude's very delicious Lake Walk APA and it's worked well. I'm working on a grain bill for an IPA based on Dude's recipe and am looking for a little "fuller" flavor. I'm planning on the toasted Maris Otter and was wondering if anyone else has tried it.

Has anyone toasted Maris Otter pale malt at home? We've been toasting standard 2-row for Dude's very delicious Lake Walk APA and it's worked well. I'm working on a grain bill for an IPA based on Dude's recipe and am looking for a little "fuller" flavor. I'm planning on the toasted Maris Otter and was wondering if anyone else has tried it.

I include 5 pounds (17%) of toasted MO in my Hooked on Bitters recipe. It's great.

I do it all the time for my brown ale.

From my notes:
Toasted malt homemade (maris otter in 350* oven for 15 minutes)

I honestly think this is one of the key flavors in this beer, which is my favorite beer I make.

I do it all the time for my brown ale.

From my notes:
Toasted malt homemade (maris otter in 350* oven for 15 minutes)

We've been toasting the two row at 275 for 30 minutes. Have you played around with different temperatures and times to get different results? I was thinking about upping the temp a little bit to see what results I get.

To be honest, no. I think this is the ideal temp/time based on internet research i did a few years ago. THe recipe I use it in has been tweaked, and developed over the years, but the one constant was the toasting. I think this time temp really helps to drive a biscuit/nut flavor that marries the malt and subtle roast in this beer. I can imagine that for something like a kolsch, you would maybe go with a lower temp and maybe more time, or with something like a dunkle or darker beers maybe higher temps.

For me, I like this one in my brown, but who knows, I may play with it over time...

Random question, but are you guys toasting your grain pre- or post-crush? Does it make a difference? I toasted some crushed 2-row for a simple Pale Ale, and it had some harsh flavors that I thought could have been from the toasting. Reminded me of, well... burnt toast. A bitter, almost acrid taste. The grain didn't taste that way out of the oven, but maybe some of the smaller bits burned and the flavors concentrated in the wort? Just guessing here.

Terje

I'm toasting pre-crush as I think most people do. I was reading in Palmer's "How to Brew" that it's best to let your toasted grain mellow for a couple of weeks in a brown paper bag for to eliminate the flavors that you mentioned. He did say that this was dependant on how long you toast the grain. In your case, It could be that the smaller pieces in your crushed grain burnt a little.

I toasted some MO to use in an ESB. House smelled amazing, and the finished fermented product is great on tap right now

Back