Home Super Brewery Build: Hybrid Electric/Gas 3BBL Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It must be nice having Chamuco for this - at cost construction is always the best price. =;>

Lol, you have no idea! He also came up with the space! Our little venture is already turning out to be a lot of fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brewhgghhhtrrfdadfqq

Now comes the tough part - keeping that attitude as you grow. Lol
Remember you said that!

Nah! Part of why we are slow rolling this thing is to keep it fun..... We don't need it to be profitable in the near future and want to keep it self funded if possible. Check out bcbrewing.com

Nah! Part of why we are slow rolling this thing is to keep it fun..... We don't need it to be profitable in the near future and want to keep it self funded if possible. Check out bcbrewing.com

Nice site: simple, clean and elegant
I thought you guys lived on the peninsula?
Ok so who is who?

1400432669072.jpg

Nice site: simple, clean and elegant
I thought you guys lived on the peninsula?
Ok so who is who?

Chad is up north in San Rafael and I am in Santa Clara. The initial production facility is in Richmond.

The pic is stock art, we'll be swapping it out with one of us as soon as I stop breaking cameras with my ugly mug!

Chad is up north in San Rafael and I am in Santa Clara. The initial production facility is in Richmond.

The pic is stock art, we'll be swapping it out with one of us as soon as I stop breaking cameras with my ugly mug!

Lol

Hehe.

Nice site.

So you're keeping your day jobs?

Breweries are permitted to make cider in CA?

Hehe.

Nice site.

So you're keeping your day jobs?

Breweries are permitted to make cider in CA?

Yes sir, wine as well! Dude, I've got 4 boys.... I'll be keeping a few jobs until the 1 year old is out of college!

Way off:D

Next test please.

Not that far off as they are both conicals and came with racking arms! I'm moving into caustic as a cleaner for the new tanks and didn't want to drop 5k on a CIP solution when I can have fun building my own! If I keep the form factor right I can potentially leverage this as dual purpose and a keg washer....

I bought one of the Sabco ferms to see if I could replicate the white labs ferm flask for less $$$ but I'll have to get pretty creative with agitation!

Not that far off as they are both conicals and came with racking arms! I'm moving into caustic as a cleaner for the new tanks and didn't want to drop 5k on a CIP solution when I can have fun building my own! If I keep the form factor right I can potentially leverage this as dual purpose and a keg washer....

I bought one of the Sabco ferms to see if I could replicate the white labs ferm flask for less $$$ but I'll have to get pretty creative with agitation!

My copy will be motorized, 1 RPM should do it.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

You never cease to amaze me. Yet another cool and fun looking build.

What is the controller in between the tanks? Also, what pump is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You never cease to amaze me. Yet another cool and fun looking build.

What is the controller in between the tanks? Also, what pump is that?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Pump speed controller.
The pump is from Cpe systems Canada according to his previous post.

Pump speed controller.
The pump is from Cpe systems Canada according to his previous post.

Ya eh! Thinkpumps.com I've been thrilled with my portable pump cart from them. Buying the same 1hp c100 topline pump for the CIP system so I have a spare in the brewery. They are great to deal with and very reasonable on price. I was going to buy a less expensive tefc motor for the CIP cart but for a little bit more I got a nema4 enclosure vfd and the same 1hp stainless wash down motor you see in the pics. I've got that and all the small hardware on order and will be putting this together in the next few weeks. The vfd makes life around the brewery much easier and gives you much more control over the pump. This rig should be done in the next few weeks if I can stay in town for a few days😁. I lucked into the tanks and they are ideal for this application. 130psi rated and already had all the fittings welded in, one with an extra thermowell port and will hold a 5500 watt element for caustic. The CIP cart will have a controller, vfd for pump control and a bunch of butterfly valves in version 1.0.

What a great thread. I just blew though all 67 pages in the last day. I am jealous of all the stainless and sad I don't live anywhere close to try some of that wonderful looking beer! Please keep updating this as the brewery progresses!

marcb..........Sent you a P M with some pics, last month, of some 'quipment ya' said you might wish to see.

Thanks, and diggin' your build!

Hi Stealth, the pics came through but I really could tell what the equipment was (number of valves, size and spec). Please PM me details. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402619421.941359.jpg

Progress???

Fitting components. The pump and vfd in on Monday. I will tune up the panel over the weekend and should be ready to go to the metal shop for stand construction early next week. Overall this will be the same rough length and depth of my sanke keg washer with about a foot of additional height. Still toying around with the idea of a top shelf for a keg rack. That would enable this to serve as a CIP cart and keg washer in one with minimal footprint. We also ordered a pallet of embossed kegs so it won't hurt to have extra capacity for keg washing to shorten the work day!

Why is there so much hop material on the outside of your spider?

Took the words right out of my mouth - now that is an aggressive stir!
Too funny... nice looking spider!

If they are still multiplying and you need a home for one or two just let me know =;> badumptumpt ok its late and I am up drinking and reading hbt

Took the words right out of my mouth - now that is an aggressive stir!
Too funny... nice looking spider!

If they are still multiplying and you need a home for one or two just let me know =;> badumptumpt ok its late and I am up drinking and reading hbt

I think it's illegal to not drink and read HBT, and definitely against forum rules. If this CIP design works out I'm building a twin for Richmond. Got the panel stitched up and the pump lands Monday so I have all the pieces ready to go early next week.

I think it's illegal to not drink and read HBT, and definitely against forum rules.

True that lol

I If this CIP design works out I'm building a twin for Richmond. Got the panel stitched up and the pump lands Monday so I have all the pieces ready to go early next week.

Man you are a build hound - how much time do you spend each week on this stuff?
My time just sucked away since I am onboarding at a startup so I am down to just an hour a day. I just wrapped up my 10g system so my build days are mostly behind me for now... I think right now.

True that lol

Man you are a build hound - how much time do you spend each week on this stuff?
My time just sucked away since I am onboarding at a startup so I am down to just an hour a day. I just wrapped up my 10g system so my build days are mostly behind me for now... I think right now.

I definitely enjoy the challenge of the build. Ideally I would like to start purchasing off the shelf stuff but usually either they 1. Don't do exactly what I want 2. off the shelf brewery gear is pretty damn bulky There is obviously a cost factor as well but space is usually my prime concern now. When we finish up licensing, acquire a cult following and go to the 30BBL system I think I'll be ok buying instead of building ; )

These days I've been spending way more time on paperwork for the brewery rather than building things which drives me nuts.... but it has to be done. I also ended up in Montreal for three days this week so I haven't made any progress on the CIP cart.... plus when the pump showed up UPS had been playing futbol with it and it was smashed to hell so I had to wait for a replacement! BTW CPE systems rocks, I sent them a few pics of the damaged pump and they had a spare out overnight the next day.....

Between work and family commitments I'm lucky to get an hour or so a day to work on things in the brewery as well but I also don't sleep much so I'm usually figuring out how to do things and drawing up plans late after everyone goes to bed.

Back