Home Super Brewery Build: Hybrid Electric/Gas 3BBL Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what's the process with one of those?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

https://brewmagic.com/product/white-labs-ferm-flask-by-sabco/ is what I'm looking at emulating.

I have to figure out agitation (ideally motorized) but as is, it acts as a fermenter for the starters and pressurized so that I can push out the healthy yeasties. I have made very healthy large batch starters without agitation upwards of 8G but I would like to be able to keep the yeast in suspension.

Thanks, it wouldn't have happened without Chamuco (Chad) though--- he forced me to enter it, he even came over to the house to bottle it : ) Chad's saison also placed first....

Doesn't that make the win that much better then?!
Congrats to you both!

I am in shocked awe of your rig/garage/going pro =;>

If you EVER need a hand or something, I live in San Mateo.

Doesn't that make the win that much better then?!
Congrats to you both!

I am in shocked awe of your rig/garage/going pro =;>

If you EVER need a hand or something, I live in San Mateo.

Yep, it's pretty awesome! Thanks. SWMBO is awesome or garage/system/pro wouldn't have happened!

Yep, it's pretty awesome! Thanks. SWMBO is awesome or garage/system/pro wouldn't have happened!

It must make it that much better then...

My wife doesn't yet understand the new "sickness"- and she doesnt drink it either. :(
Which makes watching your situation so nice - I get to live vicariously through your posts lol

Do you really need big starters? Sure you can make a small amount of yeast (too small for your batch) into what is required. But the cost of yeast is relatively low and the repeatability is far greater than adding in the risk prone step of making a starter.
We make all our beers using dry yeast added at the end of the brew cycle just as you do with a typical homebrew set up. We buy it by the pound (we make 2.5 bbl batches commercially) and make HG brews with no problem. For us repeatability is very important.
Having said that Home Brewing is a sport and anything goes.

Do you really need big starters? Sure you can make a small amount of yeast (too small for your batch) into what is required. But the cost of yeast is relatively low and the repeatability is far greater than adding in the risk prone step of making a starter.

We make all our beers using dry yeast added at the end of the brew cycle just as you do with a typical homebrew set up. We buy it by the pound (we make 2.5 bbl batches commercially) and make HG brews with no problem. For us repeatability is very important.

Having said that Home Brewing is a sport and anything goes.

It depends on the beer and how crazy we are getting with yeast blends and playing around. For really big beers like a bdsa an underpitch is tantamount to failure. For the Amarillo pale (which ripped down to 1.008 in a week from 1.060) I did a direct pitch. With some of the saisons once you get the yeast blend just right we need to be able to replicate batches and cultivate the yeast once we get into production.

Preview of things to come.... ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399516317.857231.jpg

What size are the inlets / outlets on that thing?

I ask because, I know of some used, 2 inch, sanitary, pneumatically operated valves that are available.......Prolly pretty cheap.

Look to me to be useable in the brewing endeavors.

Removed from an ice cream plant.

I just spent the better part of my day going through this entire thread....I realize how little I know about brewing outside of a start kit. I plan to build my own all grain setup in the near future, but this has helped me realize all the options that are available. I need an Advil.

What size are the inlets / outlets on that thing?

I ask because, I know of some used, 2 inch, sanitary, pneumatically operated valves that are available.......Prolly pretty cheap.

Look to me to be useable in the brewing endeavors.

Removed from an ice cream plant.

Dual zone, water and glycol. 1.5" I/O. I've been collecting pneumatic valves from eBay for a whole now, PM me what you've got and we'll talk.

I just spent the better part of my day going through this entire thread....I realize how little I know about brewing outside of a start kit. I plan to build my own all grain setup in the near future, but this has helped me realize all the options that are available. I need an Advil.

It wasn't that long ago I was in the same boat ; ). Be careful, when this bug bites, it bites hard. Be creative and take your time with your design and build. Rest assured it won't be your last!

It depends on the beer and how crazy we are getting with yeast blends and playing around. For really big beers like a bdsa an underpitch is tantamount to failure. For the Amarillo pale (which ripped down to 1.008 in a week from 1.060) I did a direct pitch. With some of the saisons once you get the yeast blend just right we need to be able to replicate batches and cultivate the yeast once we get into production.

Yeast blends can be problematic with subsequent generations. One yeast invariably becomes dominant. You're blend ratio drifts.

Yeast blends can be problematic with subsequent generations. One yeast invariably becomes dominant. You're blend ratio drifts.

Yes, we've got lots of experimentation to do ; )

Yes, we've got lots of experimentation to do ; )

Cool. I was going to ask if you had luck with the subject. Let us know how it turns out, for sure. I've never tried blending yeasts for/in a primary ferment, but have stopped ferments and pitched Brett in secondaries. I've also blended beers to taste that were fermented with different primaries.

Back to the brewery! Give some thoughts on your combo tanks and, or versus, the bright tank. Can you or have you served from the combi tanks and bright tanks as well? I always liked the idea of serving from the like.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm lucky enough to have a detached garage, across the street from my house. It's two story garage, double high doors at lower entrance, and even a sub basement (so 3 stories). About 1800 sq Ft per floor. That side of the street is zoned commercial too. I've talked to the locals and no problem with brewery on premises. So I could take the slow road in building a pro shop in there, as funds are available. But finances and time are the issue. I've really enjoyed your build.

Cool. I was going to ask if you had luck with the subject. Let us know how it turns out, for sure. I've never tried blending yeasts for/in a primary ferment, but have stopped ferments and pitched Brett in secondaries. I've also blended beers to taste that were fermented with different primaries.

Back to the brewery! Give some thoughts on your combo tanks and, or versus, the bright tank. Can you or have you served from the combi tanks and bright tanks as well? I always liked the idea of serving from the like.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm lucky enough to have a detached garage, across the street from my house. It's two story garage, double high doors at lower entrance, and even a sub basement (so 3 stories). About 1800 sq Ft per floor. That side of the street is zoned commercial too. I've talked to the locals and no problem with brewery on premises. So I could take the slow road in building a pro shop in there, as funds are available. But finances and time are the issue. I've really enjoyed your build.

Awesome! Good luck, take your time and build something that will hold you for a year or two and be cognizant of your brewday labor and cleanup. Best lessons I've learned. I brew with a guy that makes the most amazing saisons with creative yeast blends and re-pitches from yeast cake all the time so I have seen it work. The depth of flavor he gets is amazing (and award winning) so I'll keep you posted as we progress. The next phase is exciting as we're moving all of this kit into the production space next weekend! I will post lots of pics!

Hey! You didn't answer the question.

:)

Give some thoughts on your combo tanks and, or versus, the bright tank. Can you or have you served from the combi tanks and bright tanks as well? I always liked the idea of serving from the like.

Hey! You didn't answer the question.

:)

Sorry! I've only served out do the sample valve while fermenting but I have kept these at 15psi for weeks without issue. Bang for the buck glacier has these 60g tanks inexpensive and with tons of features so I wouldn't hesitate using them as combined ferm/brites. I would probably have gone copper coil wrapped instead of internal coil but both work.

Tomorrow's a big day, all current kit relocating to it's new home!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brewhgghhhtrrfdadfqq

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400305305.138087.jpg

Here's one, will take a bunch tomorrow. 10x10 coldroom. 10x20 brew space, bathroom and office. Tons of work by Chamuco to gear up for the next phase.

Was that in floor drain already there in place? Or did you guys put that in?
And you have room to grow too - nice.

There has got to be a story on those Office of the Chancellor pics...
It is looking great!

Was that in floor drain already there in place? Or did you guys put that in?
And you have room to grow too - nice.

There has got to be a story on those Office of the Chancellor pics...
It is looking great!

No, those are all new! The Chancellor is in.....

Back