Home Super Brewery Build: Hybrid Electric/Gas 3BBL Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what to say

o_O

Maybe I'll think of something after I go and change my shorts.

----

Just awesome marcb!

That's great for three batches!

Well, there were four of us brewing, drinking and watching football. Doesn't get much better than that. Also the SWMBO made an awesome breakfast and lunch for the whole crew! I've also completed a bucket list item and now have all five taps going.....

Lol, thanks! Wouldn't that have been jan/feb of 13? Come on down for some beer and a brewery tour! How's the braumeister working out?

It was, wasn't it? Guess I've packed 18+ months into the last 6 or so...I'm getting married this weekend, so that makes sense! :cross:

I'd love to! Thanks! I'll PM you to sort out schedules. Football, brewing, beer and some bbq maybe sounds fantastic...I think I have 30 pounds of organic pork ribs and shoulder in the freezer. :D

The Braumeister is fantastic! Once you figure out a workaround for the gravity limit that works for you, one can do just about anything on it.

SFBrewer said:
It was, wasn't it? Guess I've packed 18+ months into the last 6 or so...I'm getting married this weekend, so that makes sense! :cross:

I'd love to! Thanks! I'll PM you to sort out schedules. Football, brewing, beer and some bbq maybe sounds fantastic...I think I have 30 pounds of organic pork ribs and shoulder in the freezer. :D

The Braumeister is fantastic! Once you figure out a workaround for the gravity limit that works for you, one can do just about anything on it.

Congratulations! Have a great time this weekend and hit me up when you get back in town! I've got my own Frankenstein version of the Braumeister that is BCS controlled that works pretty well! I've always admired that machine though!

Picked up some new toys this weekend!

image-1431949778.jpg

image-1236860861.jpg

image-1866248757.jpg

image-3771718054.jpg

marcb said:
Picked up some new toys this weekend!

Looks like you're going pro? I recognize that plate filter system from when I used to work in a brew pub years ago.

junkyard brewer said:
When your home brewery requires a ladder, you've been booted out of the homebrew club. haha!

Looks awesome!

Ha! I was just visiting a friends brewery down south today, he finally quit his day job and is officially a full time brewer!

DrHops said:
Looks like you're going pro? I recognize that plate filter system from when I used to work in a brew pub years ago.

Wow, good eye! They don't make the filters for these anymore so my buddy was cutting larger filters down to fit them this afternoon.

Are you concerned at all with the amount you brew and how much equipment you have? Are your neighbors pretty cool with this whole thing? I would hate to see the locals come in and attempt to regulate you in your "brew shed". I love your build.

Are you concerned at all with the amount you brew and how much equipment you have? Are your neighbors pretty cool with this whole thing? I would hate to see the locals come in and attempt to regulate you in your "brew shed". I love your build.

With doubling my power and water consumption at the house I'm awaiting a knock at the door anytime although I believe that they will be looking for a grow house : )

Seriously though most of my neighbors are clueless about it and the ones that know are thrilled and come by for samples often. I still plan on attempting my TTB license but have little hope given my zoning and the fact that the garage is attached (even with a separate entrance)

Many of the people I have met travel this road a little differently, they brew some exceptional beers as home brewers get excited about the opportunity, funded and make a huge capital investment to start off. The challenge with this is that their recipes will take a while to dial in on a brand new system (in some cases months and several batches all at a far greater expense per batch) and the licensing takes time. All the while they are also forking out for a lease on a commercial location with no/little return. There is also the stress and pressure of the marketing/exposure and distribution end of the business that needs to be ramped. I think trying to do all these things at once can be a recipe for killing your passion for brewing.

I have mentioned this before as people often ask "why" I went big with this system - I have four sons ranging in age between 1 and 14 who are in private school (not the 1 year old!) and I have a day job that I love. So I currently do some brewery consulting and geek out/obsess over building and automating my own beer factory in the garage. The new system is finally getting dialed in after a few batches and I have a small group of creative brewers that I partner with in a brew co-op to develop new recipes while generally having a great time. I foresee moving this setup to a small commercial location in the near future (or replicating it elsewhere) to continue my journey as I would like to learn more directly about the 'other' end of business (distribution and marketing). I would only do so if I felt that I wouldn't be risking the other aspects of my life (wonderful SWMBO, kids and day job) in the process.

Sorry for the lengthy diatribe!

I appreciate the detail. I have a friend who is very interested in going down the same path as you. Although he would have to lease a building for a start-up, essentially he is thinking in the direction that you have gone to in your garage. He's probably already seen this thread, but if he hasn't, this would be a great brainstorming session after reading it. Thanks again. Brew on.

Congrats!

Excuse my ignorance, but I've been looking at a few commercial setups recently just for interests sake. I cant quite figure out how the equipment is utilised.

on page 45, am I correct in saying the largest stanless vessle is a combined MT (on top) , since the mash agitator motor is up there, and a lower HLT ? Or is it a single vessel set-up with no HLT and only a MT (top) and BK (bottom) , the chimney leads me to believe it could be the BK. Is it steam heated, and if so, can you manage the HLT(if thats what the lower vessle is) and MT temperatures independently?

Apologies for all the questions, there's quite a gap between classic homebrew setups and the commercial gear.

Beautiful piece of kit non the less.

If there's a site with a description of commercial gear "layout", that would be great.

Apologies for all the questions...

Sentinel said:
Congrats! Excuse my ignorance, but I've been looking at a few commercial setups recently just for interests sake. I cant quite figure out how the equipment is utilised. on page 45, am I correct in saying the largest stanless vessle is a combined MT (on top) , since the mash agitator motor is up there, and a lower HLT ? Or is it a single vessel set-up with no HLT and only a MT (top) and BK (bottom) , the chimney leads me to believe it could be the BK. Is it steam heated, and if so, can you manage the HLT(if thats what the lower vessle is) and MT temperatures independently? Apologies for all the questions, there's quite a gap between classic homebrew setups and the commercial gear. Beautiful piece of kit non the less. If there's a site with a description of commercial gear "layout", that would be great. Apologies for all the questions...

No worries, that is a PBST systems all in one 5BBL with MT on top and BK on the bottom. The system isn't mine but is a beautiful piece of equipment. My buddy leverages a tankless to preheat the water as he fills the BK with strike, brings up to temp and then pumps up to the MT. The remaining water is then heated to Sparge temp and when ready gets pumped up to batch sparge. So no HLT required. His landlord won't let him properly vent through the roof so he has to have the roll up door up when brewing and he's located down in Fresno so it's always like 100 degrees there!

I love what you've done and am jealous on several levels. The one question that keeps popping in my head is what you are doing with all the beer you are making if you aren't selling it. I can not drink my beer as fast as I would like to brew it. Let me rephrase that, I can't drink it with getting so fat I'll have to buy new clothes.

I don't know CA laws, but I take it there is no annual limit to how much you brew? At this point, how come you don't get the proper license and open a nano brewery? this is an epic set up and looks like you're moving to brew for profit (hopefully). I am envious.

GoodDogShelby said:
I love what you've done and am jealous on several levels. The one question that keeps popping in my head is what you are doing with all the beer you are making if you aren't selling it. I can not drink my beer as fast as I would like to brew it. Let me rephrase that, I can't drink it with getting so fat I'll have to buy new clothes.

This should be an indicator. I'm definitely not selling it and have peaked at 285lbs! I split batches with three other brewers, trade with others to maintain variety and have a penchant for brewing big beers that age nicely.

image-2916986203.jpg

This should be an indicator. I'm definitely not selling it and have peaked at 285lbs! I split batches with three other brewers, trade with others to maintain variety and have a penchant for brewing big beers that age nicely.

Hammered on homebrew 24/7...

I like it! :tank:

Something to be said about crashing and carbing in the fermenter! Beer is kegged and tapped the same day....

Washing and sanitizing many kegs is a breeze with my sanke keg washer!

And with this monster I can keg 4 at a time : )

image-2533324344.jpg

image-1191509967.jpg

nvrstck said:
We all hate you (read: envy) . Awesome build!

Thanks! No need for hating, just know that there is always a pint glass and plethora of fine beer on tap in Santa Clara for HBT and AHA members to enjoy!

Thanks! No need for hating, just know that there is always a pint glass and plethora of fine beer on tap in Santa Clara for HBT and AHA members to enjoy!

A pint at your place could be the large rise in membership in the homebrewing ranks!

Boar Beer said:
Marc What did you use for Temp probes and low level switches

Hi John,

No low level switches yet, we have been eyeballing it for the last several brew days - waiting until there were a few inches of wort covering the elements before firing. We haven't has any issues but they are on the list for finishing up the automation. As for the temp probes I went with the 6" TC thermowells and probes from brewers hardware.

On the plane headed to the GABF! 600 breweries and over 3000 beers to sample! It's gonna be awesome!

Marquez said:
Have a great time! I will be missing it this year, after 3 years in a row. But will be there next year! BTW, here is a good summary page of GABF related events around town

Thanks! It's our first (SWMBO and I) so we are super stoked. Doing the math on maximizing our sample rate it looks like we'll be comfortably numb in short order!

marcb said:
50k people here, flipping crazy

GABF was a blast, hundreds of beers sampled and met lots of new friends. We did general admission first night and farm to table second night. I would strongly recommend people attending do the members only session as there were just so many people in the main hall each night that it was slow going. The farm to table pavilion was interesting and fun but also had too many people to really enjoy or talk with the chefs. One pet peeve I had was that the yellow shirt local volunteers were staffing most of the booths the second night and did not know anything really about the beers that they were serving. I was eager to talk to brewers, not volunteers! It was still a blast and very enjoyable overall. Denver is a great beer town, the people were nice and very accommodating! Cheers!

I did the Farm to Table two years in a row. The first year was FANTASTIC!

I felt like an insider, I met Pete Slosberg from Pete's Wicked Ale fame, asked him for the recipe and he said that the one floating on the net is as good as it gets.

I also met Ray Daniels, and a Brit Beer author named 'Steve...' or another. He was pretty loaded (altitude he said...) and for the life of me I could not understand more than one word out of three. And I met Wayne Wambles from Cigar City. Great guy, FANTASTIC beers!

The next Farm to Table was very crowded, and not nearly as easy to explore.

This year... well I did not attend, and due to my experience at last year and the increase in price I would have passed on the Farm to Table anyway.

Next year I plan to attend the various food and beer events surrounding the GABF. There are many to choose from, and tickets to them sell out fast. But I think they would give a better experience.

Enjoy your flight.... hopefully you're not too hung over!

Marc, Im starting to realize that my build would look something like yours if I decided to not dump all my coin into automation.lol

kickflip_mj said:
Marc, Im starting to realize that my build would look something like yours if I decided to not dump all my coin into automation.lol

Lol, as soon as I accepted the fact that it was going to cost my other arm and leg to automate all the valves I definitely ratcheted back on that front! I am definitely planning additional automation but it has been really awesome getting to brew on the system as a work in progress. I hope you get to enjoy your system for a bit before the upgrade bug bites and you start building the next one!

Back