Home Scratter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frightank

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm studying to become a mechanical engineer, and as part of my degree I'm looking at designing and building my own scratter. I've been making cider for the past few years, chopping and mashing the apples by hand before pressing. Even on the small scale on which I operate, this has proven to be pretty labour intensive and so I thought what better opportunity to combine my degree and my hobby. I'd like to hear anything you have to say about scratters; whether you've bought one in the past or made one, what features you think it should have, etc.

Thanks

You could start by making a replacement for the scratter head for the Weston style. If they had a much heavier head it would be so much more effective. Also if you look at the old scratters for home use you will notice they have 2 wheels, one you turn and one on the other side that keep the wheel going. Today they make one lightweight weel that is useless and they also make it a funny diameter for the shaft so you cant just buy a pulley wheel ready to put on it. I bought a 3/4 inch drill to turn mine but if it had a heaivier head or a counter wheel (not sure that is the right term for the second wheel) it would be so much better.

WVMJ

Back