Home made MLT with steel braid issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
For the life of me I cannot get the 1/2 steel braid to fit around the T. It seems I need the next size up braid or I'm just not "getting" it right. Going to try again later after my annoyance level drops before I go and take some copper pipping or cpvc and just hacksaw them to hell.

EDIT

Do they make Ts with 3/8 x 3/8 x 1/2?

You can also try bunching the braid up on its self. When you hold the end of the braid and a spot 1 inch from the end and push them together the diameter grows as the distance between the 2 points decreases.

Good luck

You can also try bunching the braid up on its self. When you hold the end of the braid and a spot 1 inch from the end and push them together the diameter grows as the distance between the 2 points decreases.

Good luck

Tried that just couldn't get it to slide over the 1/2 inch T. Could it be the T's inside diameter is 1/2inch instead of the outside?

Good news though. Cooler is holding water and just need to get the braid installed right now.

You've got the wrong size braid. Probably from a faucet or toilet supply line? They're not big enough. Sounds like you're using a 1/2" copper sweat tee? They're close to 3/4" diameter. 1/2" copper pipe is 5/8" OD, so the ID of the tee is also 5/8". Do like Bobby said, use a water heater connector.

Sorry, tried to answer this when you first posted, but my internet blinked off, and then work interfered.

You've got the wrong size braid. Probably from a faucet or toilet supply line? They're not big enough. Sounds like you're using a 1/2" copper sweat tee? They're close to 3/4" diameter. 1/2" copper pipe is 5/8" OD, so the ID of the tee is also 5/8". Do like Bobby said, use a water heater connector.

Sorry, tried to answer this when you first posted, but my internet blinked off, and then work interfered.

I might as well just get the two reducers, seems it would be cheaper then buying another supply line and cutting it with the hacksaw.

I had the braid off of a 12' long refrigerator water line. I ended up buying a piece of 3/8 inch copper pipe from McMaster Carr for too much money, cut short pieces, and soldered those into the 1/2" tees using reducer bushings that I found for about a $1 a piece at my local Menards. Lots of soldering.

Too late I found that 1/2" male PEX adapters fit very nicely into the braid, and snugly into the 1/2" copper tees. They also cost about a buck a piece, but do the whole deal. They still solder in place, but with less joints, less soldering, and much less hassle. They are brass, so they should probably be pickled afterwards.

Back