Home made blow-siphon tube, stopper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawai

Reaction score
My auto-siphon has jumped out of the receiver twice now and sprayed my legs with beer while pumping the last lil bit from the carboy. (made me mad)

I made this today, a drilled stopper with a "smaller" air hole, T-boned so I can stick a 1/4" nytube in the side and "blow on it" to pressurize the carboy.

I modeled the end of the UHMW plastic after the diameter of a rubber stopper I had and put a slight slope on it. UHMW can be cut on a wood lathe, or a metal lathe, or chucked into a drill press and whittled on. It likes a wood cutting tool best.

To get the pvc tube through it? SPlit the tube for a few inches, thread the smaller slit portion through the stopper, then cut it off. TO keep it "stiff" in the jug, I slip a 316 stainless tig welding "rod (wire)" up into it so I can form it into a shape to go against a wall of the jug.

Needs a while in a cup of bleach, then I think it can be star-sanitized.

Beer 056.jpg

I messed around with different items too... Now I just keep the tubing and cane full of sanitizer when I stick it in the carboy and let it start in a can or cup until beer is coming out. Works like a charm, no worries.

Latest posts

Back