Home brewing advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phil777j

Reaction score
Hi all I'm currently traveling in NZ and have fallen in love with the craft beer they have here and thought I'd try and recreate some of this awesome beer when I get back to the uk. So I've been looking into different brewing systems and quite fancy a grainfather system would you recommend this or is there any others that are worth looking at?

I've tried a extract brew kit it tasted bland but drinkable. I've also just pressed and brewed a batch of apple and pear cider that went very well.

BAH!!! He wants to make good beer. :)

Buy that thing NOW. It looks great to me man. I kind of like the Breaumeister but the reviews on them are pretty equal. There was a nice post someone put on the main page about single vessel systems. You might check that out.

Here is my advice though, in full.

Hi. I am attempting to brew my first beer not from a kit although I was planning to loosely follow Brewer's Best IPA recipe. I took it to my LHBS and the individual adjusted the recipe to following for a 1 gallon batch:
1 pound 4 oz golden light malt extract
3 oz caramel for steeping
5 g of Columbus hops @ 60 min
5 g of Chinook hops @ 10 min

The recipe called for pale ale DME and also 3 oz of Victory malt but the LHBS replaced the DME with golden light and said the Victory would be too starchy.

However when I took this home and plugged it in to tasty brew I received really low values for SRM and my ABV was very different from what they calculated. Any suggestions?

Phil777j -

Ok - I'd say that's a lot of $$$$ to plunk down on a system if you're not sure yet you'll love this hobby.

It's like buying a brand new Harley before learning to ride a motorcycle.

You can have a kick-ass all-grain setup that makes amazing beer for about $300.
Burner $40
Propane tank $40
Cooler (mashtun) $30
Plumbing for cooler/etc... $40
10-gal pot $60 (aluminum with lid)
5-gal pot (for heating extra water) $20
Immersion chiller or DIY Counter-flow chiller: $50
Odds and ends (hydrometer, thermometer, racking cane, etc...) $50

That's all you need. If you want specific details, let me know. I've got a file with links and prices for this build.

And most importantly - reading howtobrew.com is a great primer.

And not all extract beer is bad. I've had amazing extract beer.

Back