Home Brew Shop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxErnie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've always bought kits,but i have a recipe i want to try.Will a home brew shop sell you the exact grain bill and hops that the recipe shows? Never actually bought anything at a shop before.
Ernie

Yes. All shops I've been to have been very helpful with questions, too. It's possible they may need to substitute an ingredient or two, based on what they have on hand, but they'll offer suggestions on appropriate substitutions if you need it.

Shops work better for me than online purchases. I tend to ask a lot of questions and the ones around here have a lot of answers. They might even gently try to steer you away from making a mistake. "I'm not sure you want to do that...." kind of advice rather than just selling you whatever you put in your cart.

I'd say it is a definite maybe. Shops are run by owners and employees (small shops may have only an owner) and every one of them can be different. Stop by your local shop and ask. That's the only way you will be certain about your local shop. It may be different the next time you stop in also.

My very excellent in so many other ways LHBS does not sell by the ounce. They sell all the typical (US, UK, BEL, GER) specialties in 1, 5, 10lb bags. Owner will help you put stuff together.

The not as great, more expensive, smaller selection, better decorated LHBS in the other direction does sell by the oz. Twenty year old employee will tell you all about the newest hops that came in.

My very excellent in so many other ways LHBS does not sell by the ounce. They sell all the typical (US, UK, BEL, GER) specialties in 1, 5, 10lb bags. Owner will help you put stuff together.

The not as great, more expensive, smaller selection, better decorated LHBS in the other direction does sell by the oz. Twenty year old employee will tell you all about the newest hops that came in.
That very excellent LHBS does sell hops by the ounce, and I picked up Stryian Gpoldings there on my last trip. Stryian Celia has replaced that in many places.

Pick a recipe builder and use it. If you have the actual details of what your OG, FG and other things where for the brews you did as kits and know the amounts of everything, then plug those in. They'll show you a efficiency number that can help you adjust the amounts of the fermentable stuff so you can better match that recipe to what your efficiencies are.

The kits probably figured their recipes for a low efficiency. Your acquired recipe may be figured for a higher efficiency. Sometimes they tell you, but usually you have to figure it out from their OG number and the amounts of the fermentable stuff and any non-fermentable sugars that might be added.

I've always bought kits,but i have a recipe i want to try.Will a home brew shop sell you the exact grain bill and hops that the recipe shows? Never actually bought anything at a shop before.
Ernie

The definitive answer is maybe.

I used to have a shop around me that you just e-mail in a recipe and they'll put it together for you. They would even do their best to create a clone of any commercial or their house brews (also a taproom). The one I live by now only sells grain by the pound (some with a 5 lb min.), has limited selection of hops, and even more limited on yeast. I end up buying grain from two different places, hops from hopsdirect, and yeast from wherever I can get it.

This is probably the most words I've ever used to say 'you're just gonna have to call and ask if they do that'.

Back