Need advice attaching drip trays to Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
Need a little advice here, I have a Keezer I built, it has six taps that I drilled through a 2 x 4 collar. For drip tray, I didn’t want to spend the crazy money for a 22 inch drip tray so I bought two, 12 inch drip trays from Kegco, they are the wall mount version, see picture. To attach them, I read where someone used a bunch of thin rare earth magnets that they glued to the drip tray using metal epoxy. I got 10, 1 inch round magnets and glued five to each drip tray. It worked at first, but when I pull the drip trays off the magnets pop off of the drip tray, the metal epoxy is not holding them on. These wall mount drip trays have screw holes where I could hang them if I dare to drill metal screws into the Keezer. But of course I don’t want to destroy my Keezer by hitting a line.

Any thoughts? These trays are pretty heavy and I thought I would add several more magnets to each, but the bigger problem is getting the magnets to adhere to the tray.

IMG_5045.JPG

I used about a dozen of rare earth magnets (link below), adhered to back of trays with krazy glue. My trays aren't as deep as yours, so less leverage when pushed on and thus less force on magnets. But judging by how tough it is for me to take my trays off, I think they'd be strong enough for your setup.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/MASTER-...rth-Magnet-Discs-6-per-Pack-07046HD/202526367

And if you're missing a Five of Hearts...

Ha good eye on the card. The problem I am having is not the magnet sticking to the fridge it’s the magnets staying glued to the drip tray. I used to part metal epoxy which I thought would be the best thing but maybe I will try it with superglue.

Nice the paper towel holders are a great idea. How do you have the magnets fastened to the tray? Do you just put one on each side to hold each other and inside one sticks to fridge? So simple!

Nice the paper towel holders are a great idea. How do you have the magnets fastened to the tray? Do you just put one on each side to hold each other and inside one sticks to fridge? So simple!

The two circular ones you see in the last pic hold the drip tray to the paper towel holders. I'd thought about adding screws to the paper-towel-holders, but this works and it's unsightly.

The keezer in the pics was painted with chalkboard paint; old freezer, dinged up, that's how I camouflaged that. I now have a new one, and the paper-towel holders sometimes want to slide a bit, so I put a neodymium magnet under each to support them, and they don't go anywhere. And you can't see them.

BTW, once you get the drip trays on there, however you do it, you might look at this as well:

newkeezer5.jpg

A piece of paper towel, folder over, will catch drips. I don't have to remove the drip tray to clean it, and when I have friends over I just remove the paper towel so it looks nicer. And I don't spend much time rinsing out that drip tray.

Attachments

• papertowel.jpg
    papertowel.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 51
That looks great and I would have been able to use a much less expensive surface mount. Might switch to this long term.

The two circular ones you see in the last pic hold the drip tray to the paper towel holders. I'd thought about adding screws to the paper-towel-holders, but this works and it's unsightly.

The keezer in the pics was painted with chalkboard paint; old freezer, dinged up, that's how I camouflaged that. I now have a new one, and the paper-towel holders sometimes want to slide a bit, so I put a neodymium magnet under each to support them, and they don't go anywhere. And you can't see them.

BTW, once you get the drip trays on there, however you do it, you might look at this as well:

View attachment 640630

A piece of paper towel, folder over, will catch drips. I don't have to remove the drip tray to clean it, and when I have friends over I just remove the paper towel so it looks nicer. And I don't spend much time rinsing out that drip tray.

love the washer

I copied the drip tray technique in post #8. The original thread is here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/first-keezer-build.668002/ FWIW, I got a 19x4" stainless steel drip tray for my 6 tap keezer build for 15.99+ S&H so it was 22.99 from barproducts.com. I think I saw @Bobby_M recommending that in some thread here in the HBT abyss lol. Its great. Sorry for the low-res pics.

Attachments

• IMG_5197.jpg
    IMG_5197.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5198.jpg
    IMG_5198.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 150
  • IMG_5201.jpg
    IMG_5201.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Here's the final product once I put a skirt around the rinser that matches the collar:

View attachment 640733

Do you keep your tap list on all the time? I'd find it annoying to turn the TV on and off when I want to see what is on tap. I'd like to keep it on all the time but would think that would damage the screen some how (maybe burn in isn't a thing anymore).

Do you keep your tap list on all the time? I'd find it annoying to turn the TV on and off when I want to see what is on tap. I'd like to keep it on all the time but would think that would damage the screen some how (maybe burn in isn't a thing anymore).

Could a motion sensor be incorporated somehow?

No--there is a button switch around the lower back right side. Click it and the monitor is on in a second.

I pretty much know where everything is, the screen is more for those who aren't the brewer. :)

No--there is a button switch around the lower back right side. Click it and the monitor is on in a second.

I pretty much know where everything is, the screen is more for those who aren't the brewer. :)

Are you using a Fire Stick or Raspberry Pi?

Back